Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT - College Hockey

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OT - College Hockey

    Was just wondering if anyone on this board attended any of the college hockey regional in Sioux Falls. If so, was any played at Midco? Just wondering if Augie Hockey got any exposure by way of the regional being in Sioux Falls or not with the new hockey arena.

  • #2
    Originally posted by WPHB View Post
    Was just wondering if anyone on this board attended any of the college hockey regional in Sioux Falls. If so, was any played at Midco? Just wondering if Augie Hockey got any exposure by way of the regional being in Sioux Falls or not with the new hockey arena.
    I was at all three games. They were played at the Denny Sanford Premier Center. University of Nebraska-Omaha was the host, so Augustana got no real exposure - unless the announcers mentioned it on TV or there were any crowd shots with people wearing Augie gear.

    Comment


    • #3
      I just checked and the regional does return to Sioux Falls in 2026, but UNO will also be hosting that one.

      I know regionals are not well-loved by the fans, but Sioux Falls is an exception - great event and highly recommended.

      EDIT: Also, USF was playing SCSU at the Birdcage which is effectively in the parking lot of the Denny, so I got to see some pretty decent NSIC baseball before heading in on Saturday. Handful of other hockey fans came by as well.
      Last edited by SW_Mustang; 04-01-2024, 11:07 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Speaking of college hockey, it's gonna' be hard to top last year's D1 final. That Quinnipiac win over Minnesota in OT was something else. Very exciting! These are the Frozen Four teams this year (Boston College, Michigan, Denver and Boston University).

        ​​​​​​https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/icehockey-men/d1/2024
        Last edited by crixus; 04-01-2024, 11:52 AM.
        Western New Mexico Mustangs

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by crixus View Post
          Speaking of college hockey, it's gonna' be hard to top last year's D1 final. That Quinnipiac win over Minnesota in OT was something else. Very exciting! These are the Frozen Four teams this year (Boston College, Michigan, Denver and Boston University).

          ​​​​​​https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/icehockey-men/d1/2024
          I doubt if I will pay much attention. Normally when it is being held so close I would jump at the chance to go, even though no one is offering. I dislike all four teams.

          Comment


          • #6
            That's gotta be the worst combination of teams to make the Frozen Four in Minnesota. Maybe outside of UND

            Comment


            • #7
              Was a busy weekend, anybody notice the Golden Eagles of UCM had to move their home series against Augustana to Sioux Falls because of weather or field conditions. Well the War Damm Eagles swept Augie 9-8 9-5. on Sat. Vikings getting swept on their home field rarely happens, UCM Jake Hjelle 6-8 and 6rbi in 2 games.

              Comment


              • #8
                Watching the Goofers get bounced was awesome. I wore my Stampede jersey since I didn't have anything BU on it to support Sam Stevens. Jaxon Nelson got the biggest reception of the night from the Cardinal, Gopher, and Herd faithful - which was kinda neat though. I do like that guy.

                Kinda crazy that both captains for the Goofs are from SWMN, which is the least hockey-crazed part of MN.

                I hung around a bit after the game until BU was off the ice - their pep band blasted music through the convention center hallway as they left (which I enjoyed). Before anyone complains about them being rude, SF Arena was hosting quad/lawnmower racing at the same time which was far more loud.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Speaking of Augustana Hockey - I checked to see how their first year went down. They finished 12-14-4 with a couple of statement wins, including one over #16 Arizona State University in January. They also tied #2 Denver 5-5 (and unofficially won 6-5 in the shootout).

                  I saw them play three times - twice at the DSPC against the Minnesota State University Mavericks, and once at Midco Arena against Ferris State University (which was a great game). Four of their inaugural roster members have already signed professional contracts.

                  One tidbit - and I'm probably the only one that will find this interesting, but in their season closing series against the USNTDP, Caleb Heil was in net for the U-18s. Heil is the goalie for Sioux Falls and was on loan for that series only.

                  I'd say that is a successful first year. I'll be curious how they do next year when they are formally admitted to the CCHA.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                    I'd say that is a successful first year. I'll be curious how they do next year when they are formally admitted to the CCHA.
                    You're going to have to wait another year. Augie isn't officially in until the 2025-26 season.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by njmav1 View Post

                      You're going to have to wait another year. Augie isn't officially in until the 2025-26 season.
                      Oh. I thought they were in after a year as an independent. Appears I was mistaken.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by laker View Post

                        I doubt if I will pay much attention. Normally when it is being held so close I would jump at the chance to go, even though no one is offering. I dislike all four teams.
                        When it comes to college hockey I'm an UA Anchorage fan so I don't have a dog in the fight. But it'll be funny if Boston College plays Boston University in the final.
                        Last edited by crixus; 04-01-2024, 11:38 PM.
                        Western New Mexico Mustangs

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by crixus View Post

                          When it comes to college hockey I'm an UA Anchorage fan so I don't have a dog in the fight. But it'll be funny if Boston College plays Boston University in the final.
                          That's actually how my bracket is set up lol.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            In a celebratory mood this morning - Jaxon Nelson becomes the first hockey player from an HS in Southwest Minnesota to sign an NHL contract.

                            He's only the second hockey player from SWMN to sign a professional contract at any level - his HS teammate Chaz Smedsrud signed an ECHL deal 3 days ago (and got his first goal against the Rapid City Rush).

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                              In a celebratory mood this morning - Jaxon Nelson becomes the first hockey player from an HS in Southwest Minnesota to sign an NHL contract.

                              He's only the second hockey player from SWMN to sign a professional contract at any level - his HS teammate Chaz Smedsrud signed an ECHL deal 3 days ago (and got his first goal against the Rapid City Rush).
                              Let's go!!!!! Live. Laugh. LUVERNE!
                              4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
                              2016 NSIC Champions
                              🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

                              Comment

                              Ad3

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X