Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dixie State considering a move to D1

Well I guess Week 1 will be my last trip to St George. Unless maybe the Pack go up there and whip them for a check in future. (How you doin' Sam Houston?) More importantly, to any RMAC bigwigs that may be reading this, don't replace them. 10 is a good number.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnequaFats View Post
      Well I guess Week 1 will be my last trip to St George. Unless maybe the Pack go up there and whip them for a check in future. (How you doin' Sam Whoston?) More importantly, to any RMAC bigwigs that may be reading this, don't replace them. 10 is a good number.
      Fixed.

Comment

Awful lot of salt flew around in this thread. Curious what the motivation for that is.

I say good on the Dixie folks for stepping up to a challenge, and congrats on advancing athletics at your school!

Comment

Originally posted by ccmoney8 View Post
          Awful lot of salt flew around in this thread. Curious what the motivation for that is.

I say good on the Dixie folks for stepping up to a challenge, and congrats on advancing athletics at your school!
          Well said. Hopefully Dixie's vision pans out. St. George is a neat place.

Comment

Originally posted by ccmoney8 View Post

There's delusion and then there's reality. Never the two shall entwine. "If you want your doctor, you can keep your doctor." How's that working for you? :smile-big:

Dixie was a JC not too long ago. They may join some of their former Arizona JC opponents whose football programs have recently vanished like pixie dust, or should I say Dixie dust, into the wind.

By the way, Dixie is not a long-time member of the RMAC. Dixie joined the RMAC a couple years ago. Bottom line, the RMAC doesn't "need them around anyhow"; stealing a phrase from Lynyrd Skynyrd. :wink:

Many of us believe it's good that Dixie is going bye bye. They did not make the conference better; only added another long bus ride every other year. But thank goodness to their dumb move, RMAC teams will once again get to play another out-of-conference game each year; like it used to be before Dixie sniffed the RMAC. And that's a good thing!

Bottom line. Moving to the WAC, a conference that doesn't play football, is a dumb move. Congrats for what? Just sayin' ...

Comment

Originally posted by Lobo View Post
              There's delusion and then there's reality. Never the two shall entwine. "If you want your doctor, you can keep your doctor." How's that working for you? :smile-big:

Dixie was a JC not too long ago. They may join some of their former Arizona JC opponents whose football programs have recently vanished like pixie dust, or should I say Dixie dust, into the wind.

By the way, Dixie is not a long-time member of the RMAC. Dixie joined the RMAC a couple years ago. Bottom line, the RMAC doesn't "need them around anyhow"; stealing a phrase from Lynyrd Skynyrd. :wink:

Many of us believe it's good that Dixie is going bye bye. They did not make the conference better; only added another long bus ride every other year. But thank goodness to their dumb move, RMAC teams will once again get to play another out-of-conference game each year; like it used to be before Dixie sniffed the RMAC. And that's a good thing!

Bottom line. Moving to the WAC, a conference that doesn't play football, is a dumb move. Congrats for what? Just sayin' ...
              No salt there. LMAO. :laugh:
              Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post
                I agree with Lobo in that it's a bad move for Dixie (from a football standpoint, this is a football forum) and a great move for the RMAC as long as the 2 OOC games can be filled. Wonder if the RMAC tries to replace them though?

Good luck to Dixie, hope they did their homework.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post
                  I agree with Lobo in that it's a bad move for Dixie (from a football standpoint, this is a football forum) and a great move for the RMAC as long as the 2 OOC games can be filled. Wonder if the RMAC tries to replace them though?

Good luck to Dixie, hope they did their homework.
                  Other than 2018, they've been dismal in football. So, how is it a bad move? Let's say they are also dismal in FCS. How is that any different? Other than their kids getting to play Utah, BYU, etc. every now and then. To me, when a program has been as bad as Dixie State in football (and an outlier for any D2 conference) I don't see how this is a bad move for them.

Many feel success is necessary to reclassify. As Brandon mentioned, that's often times the hold up actually.
                  Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Other than 2018, they've been dismal in football. So, how is it a bad move? Let's say they are also dismal in FCS. How is that any different? Other than their kids getting to play Utah, BYU, etc. every now and then. To me, when a program has been as bad as Dixie State in football (and an outlier for any D2 conference) I don't see how this is a bad move for them.

Many feel success is necessary to reclassify. As Brandon mentioned, that's often times the hold up actually.
                    Exactly. UNA's move is much more risky because of their great history in D2. In this move, Dixie simply replaces who is beating them.

Comment

They just spent a boatload of money to upgrade the football stadium, added seating on the visitor side, visitor locker rooms, restrooms and concession stand. Very nice. They're in the process of building a first-rate press box. And going to a conference where they don't play football. Not a bad move. Not a bad move at all ... :smile-big:

Comment

No salt at all. Just a little picante sauce. LMAO too. :smile-big:

Comment

There isn't enough football talent in Utah and the Mountain region to support another FCS program. They can move up to FCS, but they will struggle. In hoops, they have an impressive attendance record, usually tops or 2nd in D2. That said, no one in the WAC is ever, ever, ever going to win the national title in basketball and less likely to go to a Sweet 16 or Elite 8. Basically instead of playing to win D2 national titles, most people are playing to lose in the first round of the NCAA playoffs and get CBS money.

College hoops at all levels would be greatly enhanced with 180 teams instead of 350 teams, or at least put in tough standards to be D-1, like attendance and/or gym sizes. The last thing on earth that is needed is a 360th D-1 men's basketball team. There are reasons pro sports don't have 360 teams, the dilution of talent would be enormous. Take the top players off teams 200-350 and have them go D-1, the rest are playing D2 (or lower, some end of bench guys are D3), making the entire system better.

I'll get push-back on this as many grew up in the everyone-gets-a-ribbon society.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
                            There isn't enough football talent in Utah and the Mountain region to support another FCS program. They can move up to FCS, but they will struggle. In hoops, they have an impressive attendance record, usually tops or 2nd in D2. That said, no one in the WAC is ever, ever, ever going to win the national title in basketball and less likely to go to a Sweet 16 or Elite 8. Basically instead of playing to win D2 national titles, most people are playing to lose in the first round of the NCAA playoffs and get CBS money.

College hoops at all levels would be greatly enhanced with 180 teams instead of 350 teams, or at least put in tough standards to be D-1, like attendance and/or gym sizes. The last thing on earth that is needed is a 360th D-1 men's basketball team. There are reasons pro sports don't have 360 teams, the dilution of talent would be enormous. Take the top players off teams 200-350 and have them go D-1, the rest are playing D2 (or lower, some end of bench guys are D3), making the entire system better.

I'll get push-back on this as many grew up in the everyone-gets-a-ribbon society.
                            "They can stay in D2, but they will struggle" would also be a correct statement.

Interesting on your last statement. One could say having multiple divisions is akin to participation ribbons.
                            Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lobo View Post
                              They just spent a boatload of money to upgrade the football stadium, added seating on the visitor side, visitor locker rooms, restrooms and concession stand. Very nice. They're in the process of building a first-rate press box. And going to a conference where they don't play football. Not a bad move. Not a bad move at all ... :smile-big:
                              They had just spent a decade in a conference that didn't play football prior to joining the RMAC last year.
                              Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

They had just spent a decade in a conference that didn't play football prior to joining the RMAC last year.
                                It looks like a piggy. It smells like a piggy. It sails through the air like a piggy. It even goes through the goalposts like a piggy. Folks in the GNAC might take umbrage to your suggestion that they don't play football in that conference. :wink:

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X