Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fergrat View Post
    How long can this continue? This program has become a laughingstock. It’s time for a coaching change.
    Chadron State does have a new president, so maybe that can mean a change can be coming.

I do believe the football team can have good times again, but they need someone who can coach and recruit. It seems apparent Jay Long can do neither. Look at the basketball teams..... the men's have a great coach who has turned around that program around and was one of the RMAC's best last year, no reason to think that can't continue, and now the women's team hit a homerun with their coach hire, someone who's had D1 success.

Comment

One thing Jay Long excels at, is making Pueblo look better than they actually are. Year, after year, after year.

Overall, Chadron was not all terrible today against Pueblo, but, they couldn't finish drives, and they ALWAYS give up big plays against that team. Every. year.

Not surprising that Pueblo's fewest points allowed comes against Chadron. Same with Augustana.... fewest points allowed came against Chadron. Same with Black Hills State....fewest point allowed came against Chadron.

Comment

Getting Logan Masters back to Wayne, America has been great for us, but seems like offensive production at Chadron has fallen off a cliff since he left.

Comment

So, Chadron down 17-0 halftime at Colorado Mesa. I go to the grocery store, shop around for about 20 minutes. By the time I get back to the car, I hear on the radio they were down 38-0 four minutes into the 3rd quarter. That is a microcosm of Chadron State football under the Jay Long era.

Comment

With Chadron's season-ending win over South Dakota Mines, Chadron finishes the year winning four of their last six games. Probably will be enough to give Long another year, much to my chagrin.

Comment

Chadron State's Athletic Directer retired, effective immediately. Jay Long's seat immediately turns to legitimate fire, I figure. Chadron State is going to conduct a national search to replace Joel Smith. I am guessing the new AD is going to have an extremely short leash with Long for the 2024 season, especially considering the years of mediocrity at Chadron State over the last several years.

Comment

Originally posted by sportsvine View Post
                Chadron State's Athletic Directer retired, effective immediately. Jay Long's seat immediately turns to legitimate fire, I figure. Chadron State is going to conduct a national search to replace Joel Smith. I am guessing the new AD is going to have an extremely short leash with Long for the 2024 season, especially considering the years of mediocrity at Chadron State over the last several years.
                Any chance due to the length of tenure at CSC that Jay is actually a candidate for AD? I would guess he's the longest tenured coach at CSC. If so are any assistants head coach material?

It may not be what you would like but I wonder if it's being thrown around by the higher ups.

Comment

Originally posted by BHer View Post

Any chance due to the length of tenure at CSC that Jay is actually a candidate for AD? I would guess he's the longest tenured coach at CSC. If so are any assistants head coach material?

It may not be what you would like but I wonder if it's being thrown around by the higher ups.
                  I honestly doubt it. Chadron State is under pretty brand new leadership, an athletic-oriented president, the men's basketball program is no longer the conference doormat, the woman's basketball program has a new coach locals are quite high on, and my gut thinks that it is very likely the president wants to go in a completely new direction.

Comment

Originally posted by sportsvine View Post

I honestly doubt it. Chadron State is under pretty brand new leadership, an athletic-oriented president, the men's basketball program is no longer the conference doormat, the woman's basketball program has a new coach locals are quite high on, and my gut thinks that it is very likely the president wants to go in a completely new direction.
                    High on a Coach who told his team to quit in the 3rd quarter? They had 11 players and 11 ran off the court. No other collegiate program that I know of has thrown in the towel like that, no matter the circumstances. In the future, when one wants to quit something, pull a Chadron.

Comment

Originally posted by Try II View Post

High on a Coach who told his team to quit in the 3rd quarter? They had 11 players and 11 ran off the court. No other collegiate program that I know of has thrown in the towel like that, no matter the circumstances. In the future, when one wants to quit something, pull a Chadron.
                      They did NOT have 11 players, they have only 7. Still, It was a bad look for sure, they most certainly should have played to the end.

I am still high on him, considering his past success at previous jobs. He came to Chadron during the mid-summer, so he was unable to recruit any players for his first season. I figure the team will have more success in 2024-2025 and going forward.

Still, I do find the timing of Chadron's AD retirement and the forfeited game a couple weeks ago a bit odd.

Comment

If the rumors are true, we'll be heading your way to renew our rivalry in Week 0.

Comment

Just want to chime in as the father of a 2024 football player who just finished going through the recruiting process and give a little perspective on how they handled my son.

We traveled many hours to attend the Junior Day and Spring game last spring and had a great time. Met the coaches in person who he had been talking to over Twitter and had one coach say they would probably offer him in the next month. Summer came and went and nothing happened except for a few correspondences. As his season went along he was having great success and they continued to talk back and forth. One of the coaches even watched his game online and said "he was unstoppable, best player on the field." Coaches words, not mine. And they still didn't give him an offer. Keep in mind, at this time he had offers from several MIAA programs who he had visited during Junior Days, summer camps, etc., but Chadron did not offer.

Finally, in December they called him up and talked for awhile. They invited him to come for an official visit and said they would have an offer for him if he was willing to make the visit. By this time, he had lost interest in them because of the MIAA schools showing much more interest and he ended up committing to UCM.

He really liked Chadron's campus, unique local geography, program, and the coaching staff throughout the process but as they continued to play the waiting game with him, the quickly dropped down the list and eventually missed out. I'm not saying he's the greatest kid to come out of high school and would have saved Chadron, but he had multiple MIAA offers and is now headed to the 2023 co-champs so there is obviously something there to like.

Take it or leave it, but this is just one example of the coaching staff messing up a recruitment and missing out on a kid that could have played at Chadron.

Also, in the meantime, they offered a few kids that had no other D2 offers which didn't make sense to us.

Comment

It's now official. Lopers @ Eagles on August 29th!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X