X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• njmav1
    replied
    Originally posted by Millsy View Post

Yeah, all rumors right now. Probably just some fans stating what they would like to see their teams do.

I agree that I don't think LIU will go to the ECAC, they just don't fit the profile. Quinnipiac from the ECAC will most likely move to HE, or Holy Cross or Sacred Heart could maybe make that move from AHA. If it is QU, then I think you see the ECAC look at picking up HC or SHU to round out their league. From a hockey perspective, HE is generally considered a stronger league than the ECAC. From an academic perspective, then the ECAC is considered stronger.

Lots of moving pieces right now, and with it being the off season, there isn't a lot to talk about. It is fun to speculate.
    The only other thing I've heard, and this a couple of years old, is Rutgers. They have a decent ACHA program with boosters willing to put in the effort to raise awareness if not cash. Not sure where it will go, but if by some miracle it happens, at least they will have a conference to call home.

I personally don't see it happening before Rutgers starts getting a full slice of the conference pie revenue.

In the interim, I'd like to see more W/CCHA teams come out to play Princeton. Hobey reminds me a little like All Seasons Arena- always wishing I was a little higher up to get a better view of the game. Oh well...

Leave a comment:

• Millsy
    replied
    Originally posted by njmav1 View Post

I can't see LIU in the ECAC. No offense to them, but just look at the schools that compromise that conference. Quinnipiac to Hockey East I can see, but for the same reason, why change? Wouldn't it be better to have your marquee program associated with Ivies and near Ivies?

Haven't heard the rumors about western ACHA programs moving up, but it sounds like a poke in the eye for the Alaska programs. Also goes against the rationale of having a geographically cohesive conference.
    Yeah, all rumors right now. Probably just some fans stating what they would like to see their teams do.

I agree that I don't think LIU will go to the ECAC, they just don't fit the profile. Quinnipiac from the ECAC will most likely move to HE, or Holy Cross or Sacred Heart could maybe make that move from AHA. If it is QU, then I think you see the ECAC look at picking up HC or SHU to round out their league. From a hockey perspective, HE is generally considered a stronger league than the ECAC. From an academic perspective, then the ECAC is considered stronger.

Lots of moving pieces right now, and with it being the off season, there isn't a lot to talk about. It is fun to speculate.

Leave a comment:

• njmav1
    replied

The other kicker is that many feel that Quinnipiac will make the move to Hockey East, opening up a spot in the ECAC. Sacred Heart is rumored to be the school that would be in line for the ECAC spot. But, LIU would be a decent travel partner for Princeton and could slide into the ECAC, even though they don't really fit the academic standards of many of the ECAC schools. And if Sacred Heart makes the move, it would open up another AHA spot.

There are also rumors, AGAIN, that a couple of the western AHA schools could slide into the new CCHA. If that happens, that would make a few more openings for eastern teams in the Atlantic.
    I can't see LIU in the ECAC. No offense to them, but just look at the schools that compromise that conference. Quinnipiac to Hockey East I can see, but for the same reason, why change? Wouldn't it be better to have your marquee program associated with Ivies and near Ivies?

Haven't heard the rumors about western ACHA programs moving up, but it sounds like a poke in the eye for the Alaska programs. Also goes against the rationale of having a geographically cohesive conference.

Leave a comment:

• Millsy
    replied

Saw a post on another forum that said Navy is close to starting a program and that Atlantic Hockey was holding the twelfth spot for them. If true it would make sense for Navy to join the other service academies.
    The other kicker is that many feel that Quinnipiac will make the move to Hockey East, opening up a spot in the ECAC. Sacred Heart is rumored to be the school that would be in line for the ECAC spot. But, LIU would be a decent travel partner for Princeton and could slide into the ECAC, even though they don't really fit the academic standards of many of the ECAC schools. And if Sacred Heart makes the move, it would open up another AHA spot.

There are also rumors, AGAIN, that a couple of the western AHA schools could slide into the new CCHA. If that happens, that would make a few more openings for eastern teams in the Atlantic.

Leave a comment:

• njmav1
    replied
    Originally posted by laker View Post
    I was interested to read that while Illinois and Navy had talked about starting hockey, no one saw this one coming. I remember when the Frozen Four was held in DC that Navy was the host school- couldn't figure out how you could host without having a hockey team. They could have had Georgetown host in that case. I don't know why Navy hasn't had hockey- especially with Army having a team.
    Saw a post on another forum that said Navy is close to starting a program and that Atlantic Hockey was holding the twelfth spot for them. If true it would make sense for Navy to join the other service academies.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    I was interested to read that while Illinois and Navy had talked about starting hockey, no one saw this one coming. I remember when the Frozen Four was held in DC that Navy was the host school- couldn't figure out how you could host without having a hockey team. They could have had Georgetown host in that case. I don't know why Navy hasn't had hockey- especially with Army having a team.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

So Atlantic Hockey bound? They'll give the conference an even dozen. Might be bad for Huntsville.
    The timing of this surprised me. And yes, I didn't see ANY way that they could start this fall. I even wondered if it was a fake post when I first saw it.

Leave a comment:

• njmav1
    replied

They will be starting in 21-22. I think the article was in error as their recruiting questionnaire is all for 21-22.

Did not see this one coming at all..... But, they did just start up a women's team a year or two ago.
    So Atlantic Hockey bound? They'll give the conference an even dozen. Might be bad for Huntsville.

Leave a comment:

• Millsy
    replied
    Long Island announced that they are starting men's hockey- evidently this fall. No coach, I don't know where they will be playing or in what conference! Lots of questions.

https://www.liuathletics.com/news/20...ce-hockey.aspx
    They will be starting in 21-22. I think the article was in error as their recruiting questionnaire is all for 21-22.

Did not see this one coming at all..... But, they did just start up a women's team a year or two ago.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    Long Island announced that they are starting men's hockey- evidently this fall. No coach, I don't know where they will be playing or in what conference! Lots of questions.

https://www.liuathletics.com/news/20...ce-hockey.aspx

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Millsy
    replied
    Things are getting pretty bad if they are cutting hockey in Canada. Lethbridge drops both men's and women's teams.

https://canadawest.org/news/2020/4/2...st-hockey.aspx
    Yikes! But I can understand with oil prices tanking like they have and Alberta being a big oil producer.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    Things are getting pretty bad if they are cutting hockey in Canada. Lethbridge drops both men's and women's teams.

https://canadawest.org/news/2020/4/2...st-hockey.aspx

Leave a comment:

• Millsy
    started a topic 2020-21 WCHA Hockey

2020-21 WCHA Hockey

UPDATED 04/15/20

So, here is a VERY preliminary non-conference schedule for the WCHA based on what I gathered from the USCHO Schedules Thread and other threads on USCHO. Corrections/additions are always welcome:

2020-2021 WCHA Non-Conference Schedule
    -7 AHA Games 0-0-0
    -8-10 Big10 Games 0-0-0
    -8 ECAC Games 0-0-0
    -7 Hockey East Games 0-0-0
    -16-17 NCHC Games 0-0-0
    -6 Independent Games 0-0-0
    -0-1 Interleague games (not included in WCHA non-conference record)
    -1 Exhibitions (not included in WCHA or team record)
    TOTAL: 0-0-0 0.000 (54 possible games)

ALABAMA-HUNTSVILLE (0-0-0)
    -Mass-Lowell (2) 10/9-10/10
    -Nebraska-Omaha (2) 10/16-10/17

ALASKA (0-0-0)
    -at Nebraska-Omaha (2) 10/9-10/10
    -at Minnesota-Duluth (2) 11/27-11/28
    -at Arizona State (2) TBD

ALASKA-ANCHORAGE (0-0-0)
    -at Clarkson (2) TBD
    -at Denver (2) 1/1-1/2
    -Arizona State (2) TBD ??

BEMIDJI STATE (0-0-0)
    -North Dakota 10/9
    -at North Dakota 10/10
    -St. Cloud State 11/20
    -at St. Cloud State 11/21
    -at Mass-Lowell or Merrimack 11/27
    -at Mass-Lowell or Merrimack 11/28
    -Minnesota-Duluth 1/1
    -at Minnesota Duluth 1/2

BOWLING GREEN (0-0-0)
    -RIT 01/02
    -at RIT TBD

FERRIS STATE (0-0-0)
    -Michigan State TBD
    -at Michigan State TBD
    -Western Michigan TBD
    -at Western Michigan TBD
    -Canisius (2) TBD
    -at Robert Morris TBD
    -Robert Morris TBD

LAKE SUPERIOR STATE (0-0-0)
    -at Union (2) TBD
    -Notre Dame TBD

MICHIGAN TECH (0-0-0)
    -Michigan (2) TBD
    -at Clarkson (2) TBD
    -Notre Dame TBD
    -US National Development Program (EXH) TBD
    -Robert Morris (2) TBD ??
    -Great Lakes Invitational vs Michigan State (Detroit, MI)
    -Great Lakes Invitational vs Michigan/Northern Michigan (Detroit, MI)

MINNESOTA STATE (0-0-0)
    -vs Providence (Duluth, MN) 10/9
    -vs Minnesota/Minnesota-Duluth (Duluth, MN) 10/10
    -at St. Cloud State (2) 10/16-10/17
    -Minnesota Duluth (2) 10/30-10/31
    -at Arizona State (2) TBD ??

NORTHERN MICHIGAN (0-0-0)
    -Colgate (2) TBD
    -Boston University (2) TBD
    -Great Lakes Invitational vs Michigan (Detroit, MI)
    -Great Lakes Invitational vs Michigan State/Michigan Tech (Detroit, MI)
    Last edited by Millsy; 04-15-2020, 07:52 AM.

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X