Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Before this game wlu had 4 players shooting 50% from three. We had assist to turnover ratio of 1.6. Last night we were under 0.5 (8/17). We were one of the best rebounding teams in country and got out rebounded!
    we played like Frostburg!

I attribute most of the issues to 1 on 1 dribble drive play along with lack of movement and energy.

On defense, We gave up open shots (the kind we usually get) and they made us pay. Very bad team defense.

Ball was sticking and folks were not moving without the ball and standing around the perimeter. Much easier to block us out for rebounds. I am ok with going to the rim if it is set up by ball movement and is relatively uncontested, and if folks pass to the open man when the defense collapses on them. But taking shots or trying to dribble in traffic with a 9.5 degree of difficulty is not elite basketball, especially when fouls are not being called on the shot attempts. We had guys doing this when it is clearly not their strength and turning the ball over. In fairness, I think some of the dribble drive late in the game was driven by a sense of desperation to score quickly and get some and ones to try to close the deficit.

To their credit. Wlu turned up the intensity in the last 3 minutes, going from a 14 point deficit to 2 with 1 minute remaining and they nearly pulled it out.
    we have to ignore competition, players out, etc. and play to our standards and not down to competition.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Sinking ship!!!

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Last nights "effort" showed a number of issues that I have seen pop up so far this year. To start, this team is VERY streaky shooting the 3. In almost every game, we have had a half were we shot sub 15% from 3 and maybe even more concerning, weve taken shockingly LOW number of tries. As the saying goes, you need to shot your way out of a slump. That is completely unlike any Topper team I remember seeing. Second, seems like this team, to a man is almost desperate to take the ball to the hole. Our offense seems to have devolved into pass the ball 2 or 3 times around the parimeter and who ever has the ball in his hand after that does an up fake from three and then drives to the rim. I've seen numerous times were players have passed up decent looks from 3 in favor of driving inside to challenge 3 defenders! And once they commit to going inside, they are going all the way inside! Not even a thought of pulling up to take a short jumper or kicking out to an open wing...They are GOING ALL THE WAY to the rim!! Again, that is NOT the WLU system that has won countless games over the years. Lastly, their defense seems to have sagged. Not calling it a zone but it certainly doesn't really "start" until an offensive player get's inside the 3 arc. Two problems with that, 1 it gives the other team time to breath and rest for a couple of seconds (big when part of your game is predicated on gassing the other team) and second, it lets 3 point shooters get uncontested looks were they can set, square up and fire.

One of the down sides to having "better athletes" is they all can drive. I would add that most of them think that they SHOULD drive! Years past, WLU had mostly players who could handle the ball but were not really a threat to beat a defender off the dribble. They used their ball handling to move a couple of steps left/right/forward to get a better look from the outside but were not really capable of consistently beating their defender and driving inside. Seems like our current team of "better athletes" is convinced, to a man, that the CAN and MUST beat their defender off the dribble and drive, drive, drive inside.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    And Concord's top two players were sidelined with injuries last night--shades of WVSU from last year when 4 starters had the flu and the bench took it to the Toppers. Apparently, nothing strikes fear in the heart of WLU more than the phrase "starters out." LOL

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Ive been afraid of this all year. For whatever reason, WLU's players have decided they are going to take almost every ball to the hole this year. They did it again in the first half and it ended up costing them the game. Toppers took EIGHT 3 point shots in the first half and made ONE. Net result was 7 point half time deficit. Ended up losing by 8 points. Our big 3 of Bolin, Robinson and Yoakum finished the night a collective 2 for 13 from the arc.

I watched the game and what I saw was a team of individuals passing up good look 3's and then stuffing it all the way to the rim for contested shots.

I've said this before, if WLU is not taking 28 three attempts per game (roughly 14 per half) and making over 40% of them, they become very average and very beatable.

They better figure out what WLU basketball is before Saturday or they will get run out of the gym by Glenville.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

WLU recruits smart players. You have to be a quick thinker who can reach the right decision acurately. That ability has a direct correlation to the classroom.
    Basket weaving 101 at it's finest!

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    WLU recruits smart players. You have to be a quick thinker who can reach the right decision acurately. That ability has a direct correlation to the classroom.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    https://hilltoppersports.com/news/20...ic-streak.aspx

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    You're right because you know it will sink!
    You are right, I do know the PSAC ship would sink if they ever tried to put it on the water!

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Not even on the water!
    You're right because you know it will sink!

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Tough two game schedule coming up this week for the Toppers. Starts tomorrow against defensive minded Concord followed Saturday by run and gun Glenville. Concord is #2 in the MEC defensive standings allowing 71 points per game...Other side of the coin, they are #12 in the MEC on offense averaging a paltry 67 PPG. Three days later, they face the polar opposite in Glenville who is #2 in the MEC in scoring averaging 96 PPG but are #9 on defense allowing teams to score 89 PPG.

Worth noting, Glenville stands 4-0 on the season and this week cracked the D2SIDA top 25 rankings at #24. Glenville has always had the tools to score with the best of them but at times have somewhat somewhat reckless and that has cost them. Could they finally have "figured out" how to run and play under control this season??
    watched gsu beat charleston. They are playing more like WLU, probably due to Brandon Smith's influence. They share the ball very well. Not very tall but very good shooters. It could be 130-120 game.
    Concord always gives wlu trouble in athens.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Hard to argue that point, when PSAC has far more undefeated teams this year! Lol
    I think frostburg has potential long term success due to their proximity to major metro areas for recruiting.
    Frostburg's issue seems to be coaching. Their coach has had some success as a women's coach but he seems to be struggling a bit in the men's game. Being a Maryland public school, they have a tuition advantage in some VERY deep basketball areas in the Maryland suburbs of DC and Baltimore. Right coach could turn them into a power pretty quickly!!

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Tough two game schedule coming up this week for the Toppers. Starts tomorrow against defensive minded Concord followed Saturday by run and gun Glenville. Concord is #2 in the MEC defensive standings allowing 71 points per game...Other side of the coin, they are #12 in the MEC on offense averaging a paltry 67 PPG. Three days later, they face the polar opposite in Glenville who is #2 in the MEC in scoring averaging 96 PPG but are #9 on defense allowing teams to score 89 PPG.

Worth noting, Glenville stands 4-0 on the season and this week cracked the D2SIDA top 25 rankings at #24. Glenville has always had the tools to score with the best of them but at times have somewhat somewhat reckless and that has cost them. Could they finally have "figured out" how to run and play under control this season??

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Sinking ship!
    Not even on the water!

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Ahhhh...So youre saying that the PA Gov controls the PSAC! Funny, I thought PA gave considerable funding to Penn St, Pitt and Temple. Yet only the PSAC caved to the Governors wishes? Guess with soooo many PSAC schools hurting for $, they really had no choice but to give into the whims of the Governor and cancel sports.

Maybe IUP can print T-Shirts to help it's bottom line and stay in business. Slogan can be - IUP, Undefeated in Football AND Basketball 2020-21. Of course, I guess they would have to get permission from the Governor first!
    Sinking ship!

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X