• Show
Clear All

• Columbuseer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Right. But they had better run the table. I would guess they would only sit atop the Region in March if they're undefeated and everybody else has multiple losses. With a schedule like that, if they happen to lose one of their East games going forward (Ship, ESU, Shep, Kutz), I would think they drop precipitously. That was often the reason why Crutch failed to host in the years he failed to host. 1. Easy schedule; 2. One or two unexpected losses in the conference; 3. Someone else reasonably strong (IUP, ESU, WJU) emerged to snatch the top spot. My money is on us having to travel to Indiana (not Philly) for Regionals this year.
    Easy there. We'll see. I'd guess IUP loses 3-4 games the rest of the way. I'm projecting them now at 4-5 losses. That won't be good enough to host.

WCU won't run the table. The East will be brutal. But, max they lose the rest of the way is 2-3 games.

If they stay healthy, my money is on WCU hosting.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

And look where they sit in the Region...at least right now!

As for Nova and Crutch, they played a series of tomato cans to open the season and then one tough team over Christmas break...how are they doing in their Region and at the national level??
    Right. But they had better run the table. I would guess they would only sit atop the Region in March if they're undefeated and everybody else has multiple losses. With a schedule like that, if they happen to lose one of their East games going forward (Ship, ESU, Shep, Kutz), I would think they drop precipitously. That was often the reason why Crutch failed to host in the years he failed to host. 1. Easy schedule; 2. One or two unexpected losses in the conference; 3. Someone else reasonably strong (IUP, ESU, WJU) emerged to snatch the top spot. My money is on us having to travel to Indiana (not Philly) for Regionals this year.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

That looks like Boat's dream schedule. They've only left the greater Philly area once (for the first crossover weekend). They have nice (albeit very close) wins against Mercy & Cal. But those, of course, came at home. We'll see if they can continue to play well when they finally leave their building for the second half for games @ Ship & @ ESU. Looks like WCU took a page out of the St. Crutch scheduling playbook. Let's see if the Regional voters reward them . . . or give them a 4 seed. ; )
    And look where they sit in the Region...at least right now!

As for Nova and Crutch, they played a series of tomato cans to open the season and then one tough team over Christmas break...how are they doing in their Region and at the national level??

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

That looks like Boat's dream schedule. They've only left the greater Philly area once (for the first crossover weekend). They have nice (albeit very close) wins against Mercy & Cal. But those, of course, came at home. We'll see if they can continue to play well when they finally leave their building for the second half for games @ Ship & @ ESU. Looks like WCU took a page out of the St. Crutch scheduling playbook. Let's see if the Regional voters reward them . . . or give them a 4 seed. ; )
    Prior to this past weekend's games, West Chester's schedule was ranked as the 307th toughest out of 310 D2 teams by NCAA.com

That would be Boat's dream schedule.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    Originally posted by timbertopper View Post
    Somebody needs to start stringing some wins together and take control of the region but outside of West Chester (take a look at that schedule), I don't see that happening.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Three losses before Christmas and got throttled by the only good team you played! Merry Christmas Boat!!!

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    So basically Cheyney 3 times! Good work!
    At least they are DII teams!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by timbertopper View Post
    Very hard to get a read on West Liberty and the region in general so far. The Hilltoppers have a bad loss to sub-500 W.Va. Wesleyan but may - or may not - have righted the ship with the last three wins.Ohio Valley was coming off a win against a Davis & Elkins team that beat Fairmont in Fairmont while Ohio Dominican came in with one-possession losses to Top 25 Ashland and Indianapolis. W.Va. State hasn't beaten anybody with a pulse but is 8-3 with competitive losses to Fairmont and Glenville. Glenville punks Fairmont and loses by double figures at home to Salem. Ship takes back-to-back losses to Fairmont and UPJ and then knocks off IUP. UPJ is 10-2 with quality wins against Ship and East Stroudsburg but both losses are to sub-500 teams (Concord, Bloomsburg). West Chester is still unbeaten - and largely untested. Charleston has home wins against West Liberty and Glenville but road losses at Fairmont and sub-500 Concord. Somebody needs to start stringing some wins together and take control of the region but outside of West Chester (take a look at that schedule), I don't see that happening.

Like I said last week on one of these threads ... I don't see a dominant team in the Atlantic this year. There are lots of good teams, but if this first half was any indication, there's no short list of 2-3 teams which are far ahead of everybody else. Mercyhurst and IUP both have their best player lost for the season. Kutztown's star has missed the whole year. ESU's star was lost before the season started. UPJ's star is now out with a wrist injury. Fayetteville State had that big start but lost twice last week. Ship and WL have three losses already. Virginia State had a terrible start by their standards. The sudden (somewhat) parity is going to make for a real exciting regular season. The races in the PSAC West and, in particular, the East, are going to be wars.

Leave a comment:

• timbertopper
    replied
    Very hard to get a read on West Liberty and the region in general so far. The Hilltoppers have a bad loss to sub-500 W.Va. Wesleyan but may - or may not - have righted the ship with the last three wins.Ohio Valley was coming off a win against a Davis & Elkins team that beat Fairmont in Fairmont while Ohio Dominican came in with one-possession losses to Top 25 Ashland and Indianapolis. W.Va. State hasn't beaten anybody with a pulse but is 8-3 with competitive losses to Fairmont and Glenville. Glenville punks Fairmont and loses by double figures at home to Salem. Ship takes back-to-back losses to Fairmont and UPJ and then knocks off IUP. UPJ is 10-2 with quality wins against Ship and East Stroudsburg but both losses are to sub-500 teams (Concord, Bloomsburg). West Chester is still unbeaten - and largely untested. Charleston has home wins against West Liberty and Glenville but road losses at Fairmont and sub-500 Concord. Somebody needs to start stringing some wins together and take control of the region but outside of West Chester (take a look at that schedule), I don't see that happening.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

A pretty good WV State team and then two OOC doormats in Ohio Valley & Ohio Dominican.
    I looked at Ohio Dom record and they had lost a lot of close games, so I was not sure what to expect. I think this is one of those situations where it was a bad matchup for them.
    They want to keep the game in the 70s. We jumped on them 20-5 after a 22-0 blackout. Then they seemed unsure what to do in their offense. I saw them pass up open looks that one has to take if you are down 20+. 58-20 at the half. WL learned not to take the foot off the gas from WV Wesleyan game.

It seemed like their guards were not ready for this kind of pressure. WL folks coming from unexpected angles, traps on misses, WL guys playing free safety off their men, daring them to pass so they can pick it off. They had no semblance of a coordinated offense.
    I was very impressed by the play of our bigs (Jon and Owen) against their athletic big. He seemed to be frustrated too, and not used to defending the three (which we made). They took him out several times to get more ball handlers on the court.
    Their team was really gassed the last 10 minutes of the game. I think the margin was 50 at one time in the second half.

They may do much better aganist a traditional half-court team.
    #4 was hitting some threes from downtown.

Well, they got a year to get ready for the same team (plus some new downtown snipers) in Columbus next year!
    Last edited by Columbuseer; 12-23-2019, 04:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    So basically Cheyney 3 times! Good work!

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    Who'd they play, Cheyney three times???
    A pretty good WV State team and then two OOC doormats in Ohio Valley & Ohio Dominican.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Who'd they play, Cheyney three times???

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    After falling to 6-3 for the first time in a LONG time, WLU has come off the mat to win three in a row by an average of 40 points. During that stretch, WLU is averaging 106 points on the offensive end while ratcheting up their defensive pressure limiting their opponents to 66 PPG. Still a long way to go and little margin for error but at least it is a start.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X