• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boatcapt
    replied
    Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
    I've been trying to tell Boat the same thing...They didn't bring in a senior transfer with one year, to sit the bench...
    There is a LOT of ground between "sitting on the bench" and being your starting PG! As I noted previously, he's never been a PG either in HS or at Cheyney. Hard to fathom that he is suddenly going to be able to trigger a top tier DII program when he hasn't done it in HS or on a BAD DII team. Also going off the tape I've seen on him which shows him as mostly a spot jump shooter. Sure, he can handle the ball (he is a guard after all) but he doesn't seem very explosive or quick with the ball in his hand. Three years at Lincoln say him have more turnovers than assists in each of his seasons and was never better than the #4 assist per game getter (about 1.2 assists per game average). Just nothing I see, either by past performance or on tape, that says "Point Guard" to me. Now Shooting Guard who can run the floor on breaks and space it on set plays and drain the three, sure, plenty to see and like there.

Doesn't surprise me they brought in a Sr with no intention of him starting. He was a late transfer so I doubt they committed much if any scholly $'s to him so little impact there. He's another bullet in WLU's shooting "gun." Good to have an experienced Sr shooter on the bench for late in a game when a freshman or sophomore shooter might feel the pressure a little too much. From Watson's point of view, would you rather stay on a bad Lincoln team were you were a starter or roll the dice on one year on a really good WLU team? Lincoln he has zero chance of playing in the NCAA tourney and just about zero chance of getting any overseas pro interest...at WLU he at least will be on a good team that probably goes to the NCAA and if he does become a starter, maybe he get's some international interest.

Leave a comment:

• IUP Extra Mile
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    I'd give Watson a shot. He can play. He was just on an awful team last year. You may be pleasantly surprised with him at PG.
    I've been trying to tell Boat the same thing...They didn't bring in a senior transfer with one year, to sit the bench...

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I'd give Watson a shot. He can play. He was just on an awful team last year. You may be pleasantly surprised with him at PG.

Leave a comment:

• DownLow55
    replied

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    Got to be careful with on-line prognosis, but this seems like the "most recoverable" non-Hodgkins Lymphomas. I sure hope so. Love to see him back on the court next season but if he can only walk the side line and live a long and productive life, I'd be more than happy for him!
    Great Post!!

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

I don't think this is in the cards but with our PG issues, I wonder if there is any chance of Monteroso moving into that position as the starter? I believe he is a more than capable ball handler and as the teams leading scorer, I like the idea of him having the ball on almost every possession. Putting the ball in his hands would instantly draw the defense to him which would tend to free up our shooters for more open looks which should result in a higher shooting % team wide.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Got to be careful with on-line prognosis, but this seems like the "most recoverable" non-Hodgkins Lymphomas. I sure hope so. Love to see him back on the court next season but if he can only walk the side line and live a long and productive life, I'd be more than happy for him!

Leave a comment:

• Layton
    replied

Here is the fundraiser link for Brady https://www.customink.com/fundraising/bradysarmy

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

What's the buzz out of Fairmont and other top MEC schools? The two WJ guys got snubbed on all those preseason AA teams. Moseh is one of the best players in the country. Jolle, too, IMO, got snubbed.

Could ND make a legit run? Vorhees is a monster. Enough around him?

I recall Shepherd made some big strides last year and returns most of the team.

Very curious to see Gannon open with WJ. I was shocked Gannon got picked second in the West. Always interesting to see a fast team play Gannon and its 45 ppg pace. GU lost by 1 point down there two years ago. Gannon has a couple studs but not nearly enough to hang with WJ.

The Slippery Rock vs Shepherd rematch will also be a good one. Rock kind of beat them up last year.

WL vs Cheyney, however, won't be real interesting to watch ... probably 130-60. Seton Hill will be a better test. They have Trevor Blondin back after missing last year. He's a very good player. They also have a monster inside but if they can't slow the game down he'll be tapped by the half.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Looking at this team, I think this will be a surprising year...I just don't know weather it will be surprisingly good or surprisingly bad. WLU has the parts to be very, very good BUUUTTT a good portion of that potential is unproven and they have some holes that could bite them big time (lack of size and now no proven PG). I think a lot will depend on how well they shoot the three as a team...We shot 359 last season and we struggled...in years that we have been really good, we've shot in the 410 range. Our lack of size this year almost demands that we shoot well from three range.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

I think Smith will play a big role throughout the season abd could break out and become a starter. But right now, I just see others as a tick better...or perhaps more appropriately, more upside. That's why I didn't include him in my "two deep." But if Coach H does things like Crutch, about 12 players will get roughly the same number of minutes (except Monty) for the first half of the season.

I don't agree on Watson. Sure, he is a good player and has a real chance to be a big contributor, but I just don't see him as a PG. Sure, he can handle the ball but from what I've gleened through videos, stats and game reports on him at Lincoln and in HS, he's never filled the PG position (I'm sure there have been brief times were he's triggered the offense during a given game). Tough enough for a Senior to transfer from a bad college program to a top tier one and be productive right out of the gate...almost unheard of for that same person to additionally have a position change to a position that is responsible for triggering the entire offense...particularly when that player has never played that position. Dyer has been a PG all through HS and has a year in the WLU system as a redshirt. If he's not ready now, good chance he never will be. Just my feeling, if Watson is the starting PG ahead of Dyer, that would be a bright red flag that we have some SERIOUS problems this year.
    I see your point re watson. Great shooting guard. Very quick release on the Trey. Maybe dyer and saben at pg? The way they share the ball the pg does not hold the ball as much as other teams imho so it may not be such a critical position.

Wlu has more and more great shooters who are also slashers: Monty, Griffin, Watson, saben, yoakum, smith ( although probably affected by his prior injury), bolon.
    Makes it risky for opponent to aggressively defend the Trey. Example was ferris state versus msu. Msu player went airborne on 3 pt ball fake and fell on his head.

Also allows wl to draw fouls on the slash.
    This year should be interesting.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
    I love your perspective Boat, but we disagree...I think Jordan Watson gets the start at PG..for reasons you mentioned..Dyer is a Redshirt FR...
    Also see Dalton playing SG or SF, not PG...
    There's no doubt Brandon Smith will be in the 2-deep...Senior, crafty, heady...he'll be in there...
    Otherwise, I think Allen will play much bigger than he is...He's built!

Interested to finally see French in action...much ballyhooed recruit (like they all are) and hasn't really played in 2 years..

First Game Starters (not who starts in March, but now)
    Watson
    Monty
    Allen
    Griffin
    Smith
    I think Smith will play a big role throughout the season abd could break out and become a starter. But right now, I just see others as a tick better...or perhaps more appropriately, more upside. That's why I didn't include him in my "two deep." But if Coach H does things like Crutch, about 12 players will get roughly the same number of minutes (except Monty) for the first half of the season.

I don't agree on Watson. Sure, he is a good player and has a real chance to be a big contributor, but I just don't see him as a PG. Sure, he can handle the ball but from what I've gleened through videos, stats and game reports on him at Lincoln and in HS, he's never filled the PG position (I'm sure there have been brief times were he's triggered the offense during a given game). Tough enough for a Senior to transfer from a bad college program to a top tier one and be productive right out of the gate...almost unheard of for that same person to additionally have a position change to a position that is responsible for triggering the entire offense...particularly when that player has never played that position. Dyer has been a PG all through HS and has a year in the WLU system as a redshirt. If he's not ready now, good chance he never will be. Just my feeling, if Watson is the starting PG ahead of Dyer, that would be a bright red flag that we have some SERIOUS problems this year.

Leave a comment:

• IUP Extra Mile
    replied

16 days and counting until the first game of the Howlet era of WLU basketball. Heading into the season, here is my projection of the "two deep" for game one:

PG Luke Dyer, Dalton Bolon
    SG Dan Monteroso, Jordan Watson
    SG Nate Allen, Kegan Saben
    SF James Griffin, Marlon Moore
    SF Evan French, Eric Meininger

That's 55+ points in returning college level scoring. Assuming a 100 PPG average and assuming no dramatic increases in production, that will require 45 points coming primarily from French, Moore, Saben, Dyer and Bolon plus others that work their way into the lineup on an ad hoc basis (Such as Brandon Smith, Tyler Primmer and Joe Ochoa).

Critical early season questions:

1. How will the team react to the loss of their long time HC?
    2. Is Dyer up to the challenge of being the starting PG for a nationally prominent DII program?
    3. Will a "well rested" Monteroso equal an even more productive Monteroso?
    4. How will WLU cover for their lack of size?
    5. Which freshmen will redshirt?
    6. Will Ben Howlet be a Crutchfeld clone or will he coach differently?

Interesting "factoid." People say WLU has two "returning starters." Not true. WLU actually has four players with NCAA starting experience...Monteroso, Griffin (WLU and D1 Marist), Meininger, and Watson (at DII Lincoln) plus a fifth player with D1 playing experience in Allen (D1 NC Central). How many other programs have four returning players with starting experience?

I love your perspective Boat, but we disagree...I think Jordan Watson gets the start at PG..for reasons you mentioned..Dyer is a Redshirt FR...
    Also see Dalton playing SG or SF, not PG...
    There's no doubt Brandon Smith will be in the 2-deep...Senior, crafty, heady...he'll be in there...
    Otherwise, I think Allen will play much bigger than he is...He's built!

Interested to finally see French in action...much ballyhooed recruit (like they all are) and hasn't really played in 2 years..

First Game Starters (not who starts in March, but now)
    Watson
    Monty
    Allen
    Griffin
    Smith

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

16 days and counting until the first game of the Howlet era of WLU basketball. Heading into the season, here is my projection of the "two deep" for game one:

PG Luke Dyer, Dalton Bolon
    SG Dan Monteroso, Jordan Watson
    SG Nate Allen, Kegan Saben
    SF James Griffin, Marlon Moore
    SF Evan French, Eric Meininger

That's 55+ points in returning college level scoring. Assuming a 100 PPG average and assuming no dramatic increases in production, that will require 45 points coming primarily from French, Moore, Saben, Dyer and Bolon plus others that work their way into the lineup on an ad hoc basis (Such as Brandon Smith, Tyler Primmer and Joe Ochoa).

Critical early season questions:

1. How will the team react to the loss of their long time HC?
    2. Is Dyer up to the challenge of being the starting PG for a nationally prominent DII program?
    3. Will a "well rested" Monteroso equal an even more productive Monteroso?
    4. How will WLU cover for their lack of size?
    5. Which freshmen will redshirt?
    6. Will Ben Howlet be a Crutchfeld clone or will he coach differently?

Interesting "factoid." People say WLU has two "returning starters." Not true. WLU actually has four players with NCAA starting experience...Monteroso, Griffin (WLU and D1 Marist), Meininger, and Watson (at DII Lincoln) plus a fifth player with D1 playing experience in Allen (D1 NC Central). How many other programs have four returning players with starting experience?
    Last edited by boatcapt; 10-26-2017, 10:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• WVFanatic
    replied

Prayers up to Brady and his family

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

The link mentioned there could be some form of possible fundraiser or something. I'm not on Twitter and don't check WL's web site. If they do something please share it on here.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X