X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layton
    replied
    Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Through 3 games WL is averaging 123 points, opponents are averaging 74, and the average point difference is 49. Not bad.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    So I guess D&E wouldn't let WLU broadcast the game. Have to watch it on the D&E web feed...two web cams, a hot mic and no announcers. It's the 90's ALL OVER AGAIN!!!!
    Watching d and e video and hilltoppersports audio. Videeo us about 5 secs behind audio. Kind of like watching continuous instant replay.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

So I guess D&E wouldn't let WLU broadcast the game. Have to watch it on the D&E web feed...two web cams, a hot mic and no announcers. It's the 90's ALL OVER AGAIN!!!!

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

So it's WLU at D&E out of the GMAC tonight. D&E gave WLU a good game last year so it will be interesting to see how this years game turns out. With D&E being roughly a 500 team last year, this will probably be a bit sterner of a test than either Cheyney or Seton Hill. It will be interesting to see how WLU plays on the road.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Yeah ... we ALREADY know the feeling.

Next year Joe should schedule Duke, UNC and Kentucky to open the season.

Just a hunch ... but IUP won't be playing this type of schedule next year. He won't go the Penn State-Altoona route like so many others in the PSAC but it will be a dramatic step down in competition.
    I understand that many coaches schedule tough OOC to "toughen up" their teams but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me in basketball. Find it hard to believe that playing a hard game in mid November is going to make you a better team four months later in mid March. I MIGHT understand it if a good team is playing in a very poor conference but the PSAC is not a poor conference and a team like IUP is going to have plenty of chances during the conference season to prove it's metal against tough competition. Same with WLU...MEC is a tough conference so they get plenty of chances to play top tier opponents without having to schedule difficult games in November.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Yeah ... we ALREADY know the feeling.

Next year Joe should schedule Duke, UNC and Kentucky to open the season.

Just a hunch ... but IUP won't be playing this type of schedule next year. He won't go the Penn State-Altoona route like so many others in the PSAC but it will be a dramatic step down in competition.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
    My defintion of "decent". WVW picked as 6th team out of 12, no?

Is Cheyney considered a PSAC "back-marker"? Throw those out as well...
    I would define decent as a border line playoff team. Middle of the pack is not that. We're talking about a team that is going to finish roughly 500.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Millersville taking down ND was a big win.

Millersville then lost at FSU by 3 points. That's impressive. They've come out of nowhere ... weren't very good last year.

If you're tossing out Urbana then you toss out Cheyney. Those two wash.
    All true. I don't think either conferences top teams went out of their way to schedule the top teams from the other conference. Imagine IUP (or WLU) playing and losing to say Notre Dame (or Kutztown) and then have the same record and be on the playoff selection bubble with them at the end of the season. How's that saying go, you can't win the championship your first weekend...but you CAN lose it!!

Leave a comment:

• IUP Extra Mile
    replied

I point out that two of the PSAC W's came against Urbana which was picked to finish dead last in the MEC and the W's SRU had against "decent" MEC teams were actually v Glenville and WVW...Glenville was pegged as a bottom tier MEC team picked to finish #9 and WVW is a middle of the pack MEC team picked to finish #6. Cal also played the same two teams. So four of the PSAC's 9 W's came against MEC back markers. Probably the only marque matchup between the two conferences was WJ v Gannon.
    My defintion of "decent". WVW picked as 6th team out of 12, no?

Is Cheyney considered a PSAC "back-marker"? Throw those out as well...

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Millersville taking down ND was a big win.

Millersville then lost at FSU by 3 points. That's impressive. They've come out of nowhere ... weren't very good last year.

If you're tossing out Urbana then you toss out Cheyney. Those two wash.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
    I'm a fan of both conferences...and prefer the MEC brand of hoops...but that being said...SRU put a whipping on two MEC teams this weekend...I'm trying to remember the other results, but I don't think the MEC was super lopsided over the PSAC, for the weekend, were they?

I wouldn't even bring that up if I beat Cheyney and Seton Hill... SRU took out two decent MEC teams..

That being said...I love the energy and passion the Hilltoppers are playing with...
    I point out that two of the PSAC W's came against Urbana which was picked to finish dead last in the MEC and the W's SRU had against "decent" MEC teams were actually v Glenville and WVW...Glenville was pegged as a bottom tier MEC team picked to finish #9 and WVW is a middle of the pack MEC team picked to finish #6. Cal also played the same two teams. So four of the PSAC's 9 W's came against MEC back markers. Probably the only marque matchup between the two conferences was WJ v Gannon.
    Last edited by boatcapt; 11-14-2017, 08:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

I would proffer that message board stuff IS newspaper (and TV news) stuff now. How many "journalists" have online blogs now? Personal opinion is what passes for journalism now and the more extreme that opinion, the more popular number of hits it generates.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

In reality, the PSAC went 9-5 against the MEC this past weekend.

Millersville over Notre Dame
    IUP over Urbana
    Seton Hill over Charleston
    Cal over WVW
    UPJ over Urbana
    Gannon over Shepherd
    Rock over Glenville
    Rock over WVW
    Cal over Glenville

WJ over Gannon
    WL over Cheyney
    WL over Seton Hill
    Charleston over Cheyney
    FSU over Millersville

On the women's side it was pretty even with the PSAC taking a slight 8-7 advantage.

My whole point was that's message board stuff ... not newspaper stuff. Things I read in the newspaper should be factual. Nobody claimed superiority. That's just making stuff up.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 11-14-2017, 08:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• IUP Extra Mile
    replied

There is a lot of residual blow back from football and how the MEC, and the WVIAC before that, always get's the short end of the playoff selection stick. As I posted in the football playoff thread, name the last time a two loss MEC (or WVIAC) team was selected? Now name the last time a two loss PSAC team did not make the playoffs? Name the number of time the PSAC got fewer than three teams in the playoffs? Name the number of times the MEC/WVIAC got three team in the playoffs? Sure, it's a completely different sport but when you are treated like you are less than another conference, there tends to be some bleed over in feelings.
    I'm a fan of both conferences...and prefer the MEC brand of hoops...but that being said...SRU put a whipping on two MEC teams this weekend...I'm trying to remember the other results, but I don't think the MEC was super lopsided over the PSAC, for the weekend, were they?

I wouldn't even bring that up if I beat Cheyney and Seton Hill... SRU took out two decent MEC teams..

That being said...I love the energy and passion the Hilltoppers are playing with...

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

There is a lot of residual blow back from football and how the MEC, and the WVIAC before that, always get's the short end of the playoff selection stick. As I posted in the football playoff thread, name the last time a two loss MEC (or WVIAC) team was selected? Now name the last time a two loss PSAC team did not make the playoffs? Name the number of time the PSAC got fewer than three teams in the playoffs? Name the number of times the MEC/WVIAC got three team in the playoffs? Sure, it's a completely different sport but when you are treated like you are less than another conference, there tends to be some bleed over in feelings.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X