• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boatcapt
    replied
    Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    psssst .... quit talking about it or else you'll have their heads all screwed up every time they go to the line. They'll be seeing BOAT written across the backboard.
    Hahahaha!!! If they allow me to get in their heads, they have bigger issues than missing a few more FT's than I like!!!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

psssst .... quit talking about it or else you'll have their heads all screwed up every time they go to the line. They'll be seeing BOAT written across the backboard.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    It is always interesting when you talk about a team sport that relies on individual performance. You can look at almost any stat and do this..."WLU is doing GREAT scoring"..."WLU is having trouble rebounding." We talk about how the "team" is doing but within that good/bad assessment, there are some players that are doing very good, and some who are not.

I think Bolon will correct his FT "issue" (if he has an issue at all) but if he doesn't, it could present a problem in close games. Does Coach Howlett put the ball in the hand of his leading three point shooter when we are down two points with under a minute to play knowing he is struggling a bit from the foul line? If he does, does the opposing coach let the play play out and perhaps lose or do you put Bolon on the line were he shows a tendency to be not quite automatic and perhaps win the game??

Of course, if you have gotten two extra points at the line during the course of the game, it's a moot point!!!!!

I'm not really saying we have a problem shooting FT's, yet. But it is something that bears a little watching and perhaps a little more post practice attention.
    I am confident bolon will fix his ft. From watching him in person in first two games his missed fts tend to be a little flat in terms of arc, unlike his treys which are textbook in term of Arc. Once he sees video he will adjust.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
    Great commentary and maybe that's the definition of obsfucation?...

my point got lost...82% from the other 10-11 guys on the team would have lead NCAA D2 in team FT shooting last year...and bolon will get better...

And I would definitely rather have two more points a game than not, we can agree on that...
    It is always interesting when you talk about a team sport that relies on individual performance. You can look at almost any stat and do this..."WLU is doing GREAT scoring"..."WLU is having trouble rebounding." We talk about how the "team" is doing but within that good/bad assessment, there are some players that are doing very good, and some who are not.

I think Bolon will correct his FT "issue" (if he has an issue at all) but if he doesn't, it could present a problem in close games. Does Coach Howlett put the ball in the hand of his leading three point shooter when we are down two points with under a minute to play knowing he is struggling a bit from the foul line? If he does, does the opposing coach let the play play out and perhaps lose or do you put Bolon on the line were he shows a tendency to be not quite automatic and perhaps win the game??

Of course, if you have gotten two extra points at the line during the course of the game, it's a moot point!!!!!

I'm not really saying we have a problem shooting FT's, yet. But it is something that bears a little watching and perhaps a little more post practice attention.
    Last edited by boatcapt; 11-16-2017, 12:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• IUP Extra Mile
    replied

Using 75% as a minimum target for FT success, we'd need to add Allen and Moore to the negative side of the ledger. That makes four players below the "line" and two on the line. When six of your 12 players are either at or below 75%, that possibly represents something you should bay attention to. From a team performance standpoint, raising the four players who are shooting sub 75% on FT's to 75% would represent 2 extra points per game. Not a huge deal so far but if the season plays out like it has in the past, having two "extra" points at the end of the game could equal an "extra" win or two.

To me, after you develop a good smooth FT "stroke," shooting them is a matter of focus and repeatability. Calm down...take your time...and shoot...SAME way you've probably done a thousand times in practice. You work hard to get to the line and sometimes have to endure a few lumps to get the free shots...make the other team pay for their mistake!!!!

BUT...We are talking about a three game sample size here and for a few of these guys, one FT is the difference between being below or above the line (Moore is shooting 714...had he made one more FT he'd be shooting 857).
    Great commentary and maybe that's the definition of obsfucation?...

my point got lost...82% from the other 10-11 guys on the team would have lead NCAA D2 in team FT shooting last year...and bolon will get better...

And I would definitely rather have two more points a game than not, we can agree on that...

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Using 75% as a minimum target for FT success, we'd need to add Allen and Moore to the negative side of the ledger. That makes four players below the "line" and two on the line. When six of your 12 players are either at or below 75%, that possibly represents something you should bay attention to. From a team performance standpoint, raising the four players who are shooting sub 75% on FT's to 75% would represent 2 extra points per game. Not a huge deal so far but if the season plays out like it has in the past, having two "extra" points at the end of the game could equal an "extra" win or two.

To me, after you develop a good smooth FT "stroke," shooting them is a matter of focus and repeatability. Calm down...take your time...and shoot...SAME way you've probably done a thousand times in practice. You work hard to get to the line and sometimes have to endure a few lumps to get the free shots...make the other team pay for their mistake!!!!

BUT...We are talking about a three game sample size here and for a few of these guys, one FT is the difference between being below or above the line (Moore is shooting 714...had he made one more FT he'd be shooting 857).

Not saying it would have played out this way last season, but two "extra" points could have meant we beat WJ to close the season and probably then had the Regional Tourney at WLU. Two "extra" points would have been huge 14 days later also against WJ.
    Last edited by boatcapt; 11-16-2017, 10:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DownLow55
    replied

Although I think free throws are extremely important...I always value what percent do you shoot inside 3 minutes when you need to salt the game away or climb back in a close game. With that--- the small sample shows WL consistent with years past.

-This year .744
    -Last year .721
    -Final four team two years ago .734

UNC shot .701 last year and won a national title (no I'm not saying we are UNC or we are we going to win an NC this year).

Leave a comment:

• IUP Extra Mile
    replied

Hey...Don't get me wrong, I like almost everything they have done so far. Just a few things to clean up though before you can really say they are hitting on all cylinders. Probably just me but I find the free throw % particularly annoying. It should be nearly automatic for a team that shoots so well. These are free points we are just leaving.
    Hey Boat, surprised you didn't dive in deeper to the FT shooting. They have two outliers:
    Bolon--has shown to be a lights out 3 pt shooter--is 8-13 FT, only 61%. It's a small sample size so far, and I'll take bets he gets it to at least 70% by end of year. He has good form (saw him FRiday), and it will correct itself.

Griffin is their other poor FT shooter. He wasn't good last year (59%), and this year has started out 8-15 FT, only 53%. I'm not sure he'll gain a ton, but let's hope he gets to 60%.

You take away the two outliers, Bolon and Griffin, and anyone want to guess what they are shooting from line? 82%. 51-62. So there are two players who have exhibited poor FT shooting, but everyone else is the 80% you want.

Again small sample size but Monty 80%, Meiny 87%, French 100%, Watson 89%, Primmer 100%, Dyer 100%, Saben 75%, Smith 75%.

Now the downside is Bolon and Griff have shot almost a 1/3rd of their total FT's.

My take is the FT shooting is not as dire as once thought.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by DownLow55 View Post
    Wow tough crowd on here. I'll go the opposite direction and point out some positives from the game and ones that seem to be trending the first 3 games.

43% from 3.
    23 assists on 40 baskets.
    Created 34 TO's while only having 8 TO's of their own.
    21 steals.
    123 points!!

Keep in mind this team has an active roster of 6 new players that were not in a WL uniform last year and only 2 starters returning.
    Hey...Don't get me wrong, I like almost everything they have done so far. Just a few things to clean up though before you can really say they are hitting on all cylinders. Probably just me but I find the free throw % particularly annoying. It should be nearly automatic for a team that shoots so well. These are free points we are just leaving.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
    I'm with you, DownLow... A team that lost 6 players, 5 "arguable" starters from last years team (hoehn, gross, dennis, arnold, clay, kirk), is looking pretty good. I love love love the pressure defense...it's suffocating... It's glorious to watch...the ball moves crisply, nobody is overdribbling...they are spaced well...and of course hitting 15 + 3's a game makes it all go together... I'm impressed...
    I am very impressed by this team. Watson , saben and Allen getting more comfortable each game. Look out for them in Jan 2018! They are shooting better than last year's team. Intensity seems to be higher. My prior observations for improvement are for situations when 3 is not falling or opponent is not committing turnovers when your goal is the final four.

Leave a comment:

• IUP Extra Mile
    replied

Originally posted by DownLow55 View Post
    Wow tough crowd on here. I'll go the opposite direction and point out some positives from the game and ones that seem to be trending the first 3 games.

43% from 3.
    21 steals.
    123 points!!

Keep in mind this team has an active roster of 6 new players that were not in a WL uniform last year and only 2 starters returning.
    I'm with you, DownLow... A team that lost 6 players, 5 "arguable" starters from last years team (hoehn, gross, dennis, arnold, clay, kirk), is looking pretty good. I love love love the pressure defense...it's suffocating... It's glorious to watch...the ball moves crisply, nobody is overdribbling...they are spaced well...and of course hitting 15 + 3's a game makes it all go together... I'm impressed...

Leave a comment:

• Layton
    replied

Bolon was 7/11 from 3, going to be a deadly shooter, also the the highest scorer the last two games

Leave a comment:

• DownLow55
    replied

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
    In addition they need to tighten up half court defense. Too many open, uncontested looks for 3s for d and e.

43% from 3.
    21 steals.
    123 points!!

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

So now the MEC schedule begins with three teams that are struggling. Should give us some additional time to work on a couple of the things that are still below were they should be like:

Free throw shooting - A team this good at shooting should be draining 85 to 90% every night! Come on guys, these are FREE points! Take your time and focus.
    Rebounding - This team is not going to win the rebounding battle most nights but we do need to at least try to clean the glass a little better.
    Monteroso - Yea, he is scoring in the 15 PPG range and doing plenty of other things (assists, rebounds, free throws) but I can't help think he should be doing a little more. Yea he's slashing and shooting a high % but I'd like him to hit a few 3's to keep the defense honest. He's taken three on the season and hasn't made any of them.

I know I'm probably picking at nits and I AM happy with the overall play and results. But I think if we can address these few things we will be in better shape down the stretch when we start playing Fairmont, WJ, and NDC.
    In addition they need to tighten up half court defense. Too many open, uncontested looks for 3s for d and e.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

So now the MEC schedule begins with three teams that are struggling. Should give us some additional time to work on a couple of the things that are still below were they should be like:

Free throw shooting - A team this good at shooting should be draining 85 to 90% every night! Come on guys, these are FREE points! Take your time and focus.
    Rebounding - This team is not going to win the rebounding battle most nights but we do need to at least try to clean the glass a little better.
    Monteroso - Yea, he is scoring in the 15 PPG range and doing plenty of other things (assists, rebounds, free throws) but I can't help think he should be doing a little more. Yea he's slashing and shooting a high % but I'd like him to hit a few 3's to keep the defense honest. He's taken three on the season and hasn't made any of them.

I know I'm probably picking at nits and I AM happy with the overall play and results. But I think if we can address these few things we will be in better shape down the stretch when we start playing Fairmont, WJ, and NDC.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X