X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boatcapt
    replied
    Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Terrible news but he is talking about redshirting and coming back for next season. If it is cancer, there are many forms that will allow for a full recovery after his treatment. His age and physical condition are certainly pluses in whatever treatment he will have to endure on his road to recovery as will a positive mental attitude. By all accounts in addition to the first two, he has the third in spades!!

Leave a comment:

• Layton
    replied

Official word is he has an illness but I know he's at a cancer hospital, still I can't confirm what exactly it is but here is the article from WL

http://hilltoppersports.com/news/201...er-senior.aspx

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by Layton View Post
    Anyone know what's wrong with Brady? It doesn't sound good

https://twitter.com/wluhoops/status/922495819135164416

Edit: I believe he has some form of cancer, wow that's terrible
    Brady will be in my prayers. He was a favorite player. I loved his determination to win. I am sure he will attack cancer with the same grit that he displayed in running down and stopping fast breaks from behind. That attitude is going to make him a huge success in his career after basketball. Get well soon
    Brady!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Terrible to hear ... best wishes toward Brady and his family.

Leave a comment:

• DownLow55
    replied

Originally posted by Layton View Post

Praying for this young man. Life is fragile and things like this always put basketball, sports, etc. into perspective. Again... praying for Brady's full recovery in defeating this disease.

Leave a comment:

• Layton
    replied

Last edited by Layton; 10-23-2017, 11:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• CardinalAlum
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    I noticed Wheeling Jesuit has 24 players in its team photo/roster. Obviously that's double everybody else. Do they have a freshman team or something?
    I believe there's a JV team but I have no clue how many games they play or who they play. I know in the past they've played against nearby NAIA and D3 schools like Point Park and Marietta, but I have no clue.

A roster size of 24 is about average for us. A few years ago there were over 30 people on the roster. Sure the majority of them only played JV, but they still gave it their all every single day hoping to get called up to varsity.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I noticed Wheeling Jesuit has 24 players in its team photo/roster. Obviously that's double everybody else. Do they have a freshman team or something?

Leave a comment:

• Layton
    replied

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
    Are scrimmages open to public? Anyone have a schedule for next scrimmage? Anxious to see how they practice and new players.
    The open scrimmage was Thursday

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Are scrimmages open to public? Anyone have a schedule for next scrimmage? Anxious to see how they practice and new players.

Leave a comment:

• Layton
    replied

Anyone go to the scrimmage tonight

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

I am curious. What's up with wholesale replacement? Grades? Does d2 cut capable players loose if they can get a better transfer? Closer to home I saw a lot of new faces on glenville roster and missing upperclassmen that I thought were decent last year. Charleston coach mentioned a lot of new players at press conference. Does team like Valdosta promise that you will be the main man if you transfer? Academically, it ranks well below wlu and nsu.
    I don't know the reason players leave but it is clear that some programs traffic in transfers more than others. Bring them in for a year, if they don't cut it in the classroom or on the basketball court, get rid of them and bring in a new crop of transfers. Functional equivalent of a semi pro team.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

There's a ton of these programs out there. Slippery Rock is the PSAC version. New team yearly. Not to say they don't win ... but those schools will rarely ever win in March.

High school recruiting is tough. There's pressure to win immediately. Schools with a lot of scholarship money can take high school players to develop but the lure of taking kids ready to play is strong.

The culture of college basketball is so transfer heavy now at all levels. Transfers all think they should be the star, too. Most anyway.

IUP takes a lot but rarely one-year guys. Dyer of course was one but you can't pass that kind up.

Different era, I guess.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    Valdosta is one of "those" colleges. I count one player on the roster who did not transfer from another college to the program. I note that they show Gauzilotte's previous school as "West Liberty HS" and Justice's previous as "West Liberty State." 10 juniors and seniors on their roster but only three of those played at Valdosta last season. You think WLU is going to have trouble replacing five departures...Imagine 10!
    I am curious. What's up with wholesale replacement? Grades? Does d2 cut capable players loose if they can get a better transfer? Closer to home I saw a lot of new faces on glenville roster and missing upperclassmen that I thought were decent last year. Charleston coach mentioned a lot of new players at press conference. Does team like Valdosta promise that you will be the main man if you transfer? Academically, it ranks well below wlu and nsu.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Bo justice plays for Valdosta. A complete player and intense competitor. Saw a lot of minutes off the bench as a frosh at wl. Thought he had a great future at wl just like clay. Don't know why he left. Think he made all conf at Valdosta Last year.
    Valdosta is one of "those" colleges. I count one player on the roster who did not transfer from another college to the program. I note that they show Gauzilotte's previous school as "West Liberty HS" and Justice's previous as "West Liberty State." 10 juniors and seniors on their roster but only three of those played at Valdosta last season. You think WLU is going to have trouble replacing five departures...Imagine 10!

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X