Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Millersville taking down ND was a big win.

Millersville then lost at FSU by 3 points. That's impressive. They've come out of nowhere ... weren't very good last year.

If you're tossing out Urbana then you toss out Cheyney. Those two wash.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
      I point out that two of the PSAC W's came against Urbana which was picked to finish dead last in the MEC and the W's SRU had against "decent" MEC teams were actually v Glenville and WVW...Glenville was pegged as a bottom tier MEC team picked to finish #9 and WVW is a middle of the pack MEC team picked to finish #6. Cal also played the same two teams. So four of the PSAC's 9 W's came against MEC back markers. Probably the only marque matchup between the two conferences was WJ v Gannon.
      My defintion of "decent". WVW picked as 6th team out of 12, no?

Is Cheyney considered a PSAC "back-marker"? Throw those out as well...

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        Millersville taking down ND was a big win.

Millersville then lost at FSU by 3 points. That's impressive. They've come out of nowhere ... weren't very good last year.

If you're tossing out Urbana then you toss out Cheyney. Those two wash.
        All true. I don't think either conferences top teams went out of their way to schedule the top teams from the other conference. Imagine IUP (or WLU) playing and losing to say Notre Dame (or Kutztown) and then have the same record and be on the playoff selection bubble with them at the end of the season. How's that saying go, you can't win the championship your first weekend...but you CAN lose it!!

Comment

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
          My defintion of "decent". WVW picked as 6th team out of 12, no?

Is Cheyney considered a PSAC "back-marker"? Throw those out as well...
          I would define decent as a border line playoff team. Middle of the pack is not that. We're talking about a team that is going to finish roughly 500.

Comment

Yeah ... we ALREADY know the feeling.

Next year Joe should schedule Duke, UNC and Kentucky to open the season.

Just a hunch ... but IUP won't be playing this type of schedule next year. He won't go the Penn State-Altoona route like so many others in the PSAC but it will be a dramatic step down in competition.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              Yeah ... we ALREADY know the feeling.

Next year Joe should schedule Duke, UNC and Kentucky to open the season.

Just a hunch ... but IUP won't be playing this type of schedule next year. He won't go the Penn State-Altoona route like so many others in the PSAC but it will be a dramatic step down in competition.
              I understand that many coaches schedule tough OOC to "toughen up" their teams but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me in basketball. Find it hard to believe that playing a hard game in mid November is going to make you a better team four months later in mid March. I MIGHT understand it if a good team is playing in a very poor conference but the PSAC is not a poor conference and a team like IUP is going to have plenty of chances during the conference season to prove it's metal against tough competition. Same with WLU...MEC is a tough conference so they get plenty of chances to play top tier opponents without having to schedule difficult games in November.

Comment

So it's WLU at D&E out of the GMAC tonight. D&E gave WLU a good game last year so it will be interesting to see how this years game turns out. With D&E being roughly a 500 team last year, this will probably be a bit sterner of a test than either Cheyney or Seton Hill. It will be interesting to see how WLU plays on the road.

Comment

So I guess D&E wouldn't let WLU broadcast the game. Have to watch it on the D&E web feed...two web cams, a hot mic and no announcers. It's the 90's ALL OVER AGAIN!!!!

Comment

So I guess D&E wouldn't let WLU broadcast the game. Have to watch it on the D&E web feed...two web cams, a hot mic and no announcers. It's the 90's ALL OVER AGAIN!!!!
                    Watching d and e video and hilltoppersports audio. Videeo us about 5 secs behind audio. Kind of like watching continuous instant replay.

Comment

Through 3 games WL is averaging 123 points, opponents are averaging 74, and the average point difference is 49. Not bad.

Comment

So now the MEC schedule begins with three teams that are struggling. Should give us some additional time to work on a couple of the things that are still below were they should be like:

Free throw shooting - A team this good at shooting should be draining 85 to 90% every night! Come on guys, these are FREE points! Take your time and focus.
                        Rebounding - This team is not going to win the rebounding battle most nights but we do need to at least try to clean the glass a little better.
                        Monteroso - Yea, he is scoring in the 15 PPG range and doing plenty of other things (assists, rebounds, free throws) but I can't help think he should be doing a little more. Yea he's slashing and shooting a high % but I'd like him to hit a few 3's to keep the defense honest. He's taken three on the season and hasn't made any of them.

I know I'm probably picking at nits and I AM happy with the overall play and results. But I think if we can address these few things we will be in better shape down the stretch when we start playing Fairmont, WJ, and NDC.

Comment

So now the MEC schedule begins with three teams that are struggling. Should give us some additional time to work on a couple of the things that are still below were they should be like:

Free throw shooting - A team this good at shooting should be draining 85 to 90% every night! Come on guys, these are FREE points! Take your time and focus.
                          Rebounding - This team is not going to win the rebounding battle most nights but we do need to at least try to clean the glass a little better.
                          Monteroso - Yea, he is scoring in the 15 PPG range and doing plenty of other things (assists, rebounds, free throws) but I can't help think he should be doing a little more. Yea he's slashing and shooting a high % but I'd like him to hit a few 3's to keep the defense honest. He's taken three on the season and hasn't made any of them.

I know I'm probably picking at nits and I AM happy with the overall play and results. But I think if we can address these few things we will be in better shape down the stretch when we start playing Fairmont, WJ, and NDC.
                          In addition they need to tighten up half court defense. Too many open, uncontested looks for 3s for d and e.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                            In addition they need to tighten up half court defense. Too many open, uncontested looks for 3s for d and e.
                            Wow tough crowd on here. I'll go the opposite direction and point out some positives from the game and ones that seem to be trending the first 3 games.

43% from 3.
                            23 assists on 40 baskets.
                            Created 34 TO's while only having 8 TO's of their own.
                            21 steals.
                            123 points!!

Keep in mind this team has an active roster of 6 new players that were not in a WL uniform last year and only 2 starters returning.

Comment

Bolon was 7/11 from 3, going to be a deadly shooter, also the the highest scorer the last two games

Comment

Originally posted by DownLow55 View Post
                                Wow tough crowd on here. I'll go the opposite direction and point out some positives from the game and ones that seem to be trending the first 3 games.

43% from 3.
                                23 assists on 40 baskets.
                                Created 34 TO's while only having 8 TO's of their own.
                                21 steals.
                                123 points!!

Keep in mind this team has an active roster of 6 new players that were not in a WL uniform last year and only 2 starters returning.
                                I'm with you, DownLow... A team that lost 6 players, 5 "arguable" starters from last years team (hoehn, gross, dennis, arnold, clay, kirk), is looking pretty good. I love love love the pressure defense...it's suffocating... It's glorious to watch...the ball moves crisply, nobody is overdribbling...they are spaced well...and of course hitting 15 + 3's a game makes it all go together... I'm impressed...

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X