Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Are scrimmages open to public? Anyone have a schedule for next scrimmage? Anxious to see how they practice and new players.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
      Are scrimmages open to public? Anyone have a schedule for next scrimmage? Anxious to see how they practice and new players.
      The open scrimmage was Thursday

Comment

I noticed Wheeling Jesuit has 24 players in its team photo/roster. Obviously that's double everybody else. Do they have a freshman team or something?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          I noticed Wheeling Jesuit has 24 players in its team photo/roster. Obviously that's double everybody else. Do they have a freshman team or something?
          I believe there's a JV team but I have no clue how many games they play or who they play. I know in the past they've played against nearby NAIA and D3 schools like Point Park and Marietta, but I have no clue.

A roster size of 24 is about average for us. A few years ago there were over 30 people on the roster. Sure the majority of them only played JV, but they still gave it their all every single day hoping to get called up to varsity.

Comment

Anyone know what's wrong with Brady? It doesn't sound good

https://twitter.com/wluhoops/status/922495819135164416

Edit: I believe he has some form of cancer, wow that's terrible
            Last edited by Layton; 10-23-2017, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Layton View Post

Praying for this young man. Life is fragile and things like this always put basketball, sports, etc. into perspective. Again... praying for Brady's full recovery in defeating this disease.

Comment

Terrible to hear ... best wishes toward Brady and his family.

Comment

Originally posted by Layton View Post

Brady will be in my prayers. He was a favorite player. I loved his determination to win. I am sure he will attack cancer with the same grit that he displayed in running down and stopping fast breaks from behind. That attitude is going to make him a huge success in his career after basketball. Get well soon
                  Brady!

Comment

Official word is he has an illness but I know he's at a cancer hospital, still I can't confirm what exactly it is but here is the article from WL

http://hilltoppersports.com/news/201...er-senior.aspx

Comment

Terrible news but he is talking about redshirting and coming back for next season. If it is cancer, there are many forms that will allow for a full recovery after his treatment. His age and physical condition are certainly pluses in whatever treatment he will have to endure on his road to recovery as will a positive mental attitude. By all accounts in addition to the first two, he has the third in spades!!

Comment

The link mentioned there could be some form of possible fundraiser or something. I'm not on Twitter and don't check WL's web site. If they do something please share it on here.

Comment

Prayers up to Brady and his family

Comment

16 days and counting until the first game of the Howlet era of WLU basketball. Heading into the season, here is my projection of the "two deep" for game one:

PG Luke Dyer, Dalton Bolon
                            SG Dan Monteroso, Jordan Watson
                            SG Nate Allen, Kegan Saben
                            SF James Griffin, Marlon Moore
                            SF Evan French, Eric Meininger

That's 55+ points in returning college level scoring. Assuming a 100 PPG average and assuming no dramatic increases in production, that will require 45 points coming primarily from French, Moore, Saben, Dyer and Bolon plus others that work their way into the lineup on an ad hoc basis (Such as Brandon Smith, Tyler Primmer and Joe Ochoa).

Critical early season questions:

1. How will the team react to the loss of their long time HC?
                            2. Is Dyer up to the challenge of being the starting PG for a nationally prominent DII program?
                            3. Will a "well rested" Monteroso equal an even more productive Monteroso?
                            4. How will WLU cover for their lack of size?
                            5. Which freshmen will redshirt?
                            6. Will Ben Howlet be a Crutchfeld clone or will he coach differently?

Interesting "factoid." People say WLU has two "returning starters." Not true. WLU actually has four players with NCAA starting experience...Monteroso, Griffin (WLU and D1 Marist), Meininger, and Watson (at DII Lincoln) plus a fifth player with D1 playing experience in Allen (D1 NC Central). How many other programs have four returning players with starting experience?
                            Last edited by boatcapt; 10-26-2017, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                              16 days and counting until the first game of the Howlet era of WLU basketball. Heading into the season, here is my projection of the "two deep" for game one:

PG Luke Dyer, Dalton Bolon
                              SG Dan Monteroso, Jordan Watson
                              SG Nate Allen, Kegan Saben
                              SF James Griffin, Marlon Moore
                              SF Evan French, Eric Meininger

That's 55+ points in returning college level scoring. Assuming a 100 PPG average and assuming no dramatic increases in production, that will require 45 points coming primarily from French, Moore, Saben, Dyer and Bolon plus others that work their way into the lineup on an ad hoc basis (Such as Brandon Smith, Tyler Primmer and Joe Ochoa).

Critical early season questions:

1. How will the team react to the loss of their long time HC?
                              2. Is Dyer up to the challenge of being the starting PG for a nationally prominent DII program?
                              3. Will a "well rested" Monteroso equal an even more productive Monteroso?
                              4. How will WLU cover for their lack of size?
                              5. Which freshmen will redshirt?
                              6. Will Ben Howlet be a Crutchfeld clone or will he coach differently?

Interesting "factoid." People say WLU has two "returning starters." Not true. WLU actually has four players with NCAA starting experience...Monteroso, Griffin (WLU and D1 Marist), Meininger, and Watson (at DII Lincoln) plus a fifth player with D1 playing experience in Allen (D1 NC Central). How many other programs have four returning players with starting experience?

I love your perspective Boat, but we disagree...I think Jordan Watson gets the start at PG..for reasons you mentioned..Dyer is a Redshirt FR...
                              Also see Dalton playing SG or SF, not PG...
                              There's no doubt Brandon Smith will be in the 2-deep...Senior, crafty, heady...he'll be in there...
                              Otherwise, I think Allen will play much bigger than he is...He's built!

Interested to finally see French in action...much ballyhooed recruit (like they all are) and hasn't really played in 2 years..

First Game Starters (not who starts in March, but now)
                              Watson
                              Monty
                              Allen
                              Griffin
                              Smith

Comment

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
                                I love your perspective Boat, but we disagree...I think Jordan Watson gets the start at PG..for reasons you mentioned..Dyer is a Redshirt FR...
                                Also see Dalton playing SG or SF, not PG...
                                There's no doubt Brandon Smith will be in the 2-deep...Senior, crafty, heady...he'll be in there...
                                Otherwise, I think Allen will play much bigger than he is...He's built!

Interested to finally see French in action...much ballyhooed recruit (like they all are) and hasn't really played in 2 years..

First Game Starters (not who starts in March, but now)
                                Watson
                                Monty
                                Allen
                                Griffin
                                Smith
                                I think Smith will play a big role throughout the season abd could break out and become a starter. But right now, I just see others as a tick better...or perhaps more appropriately, more upside. That's why I didn't include him in my "two deep." But if Coach H does things like Crutch, about 12 players will get roughly the same number of minutes (except Monty) for the first half of the season.

I don't agree on Watson. Sure, he is a good player and has a real chance to be a big contributor, but I just don't see him as a PG. Sure, he can handle the ball but from what I've gleened through videos, stats and game reports on him at Lincoln and in HS, he's never filled the PG position (I'm sure there have been brief times were he's triggered the offense during a given game). Tough enough for a Senior to transfer from a bad college program to a top tier one and be productive right out of the gate...almost unheard of for that same person to additionally have a position change to a position that is responsible for triggering the entire offense...particularly when that player has never played that position. Dyer has been a PG all through HS and has a year in the WLU system as a redshirt. If he's not ready now, good chance he never will be. Just my feeling, if Watson is the starting PG ahead of Dyer, that would be a bright red flag that we have some SERIOUS problems this year.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X