Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

My guess is he got sold a dream by some 'AAU Type' and he had the connection with the coach at Polk (who is from Pittsburgh and has put countless players in to D1 from there). Somewhere along the line be bought some magic beans.

I can't believe Crutch would have went through the whole process of offering, signing, etc. if he didn't think he could get him in to the school. And, keep in mind, we aren't talking about Ivy League admissions here. These state schools will take about anybody who can write their name these days.

This is actually a pretty common tale. The fact he's electing to play another year of JUCO (and at another program) likely tells me he still has the D1 dream in his head. Maybe we'll all be wrong ... surely won't be the first or last time. I think he'll have a productive final two years in D2 -- wherever he finally lands. I know factually he had an offer from Clarion and also that California was very interested in him. IUP never contacted him.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      My guess is he got sold a dream by some 'AAU Type' and he had the connection with the coach at Polk (who is from Pittsburgh and has put countless players in to D1 from there). Somewhere along the line be bought some magic beans.

I can't believe Crutch would have went through the whole process of offering, signing, etc. if he didn't think he could get him in to the school. And, keep in mind, we aren't talking about Ivy League admissions here. These state schools will take about anybody who can write their name these days.

This is actually a pretty common tale. The fact he's electing to play another year of JUCO (and at another program) likely tells me he still has the D1 dream in his head. Maybe we'll all be wrong ... surely won't be the first or last time. I think he'll have a productive final two years in D2 -- wherever he finally lands. I know factually he had an offer from Clarion and also that California was very interested in him. IUP never contacted him.
      Come on, don't be nocking "Harvard on the Hill!!" Humphries had to have been academically eligible through the NCAA Clearinghouse coming out of HS. If he wasn't, he would have to obtain an associate degree before he could play at a 4-year. Doubt Clarion would give him an offer if he couldn't ever play for them.

I also find it interesting that two schools were apparently not interested...WLU or Nova. I think Howlett and Crutch looked at the tape of him at Polk and said, thanks...pass.

I never bought into the man crush that us WLU fans had for Humphries. We had him pinned for All-American after his freshman year and as someone who was going to come in scoring 30 points a game from the first time he bounced of a basketball at the ARSC.

I too believe it was an AAU coach that whispered D1 sweet nothings in Chucky's ear. AAU coaches "make their careers" on the number of "their" players that they get into D1 programs, NOT the number of players they get into DII programs. Doesn't matter if the player rides a D1 bench for a year and then gives up basketball, the AAU coach will add them to his D1 "bone list" and trumpet his ability to "get his players into D1 programs." This is their recruiting spiel to get future players to join their AAU program..."I've gotten 10 players over the last five years into D1 programs. Join MY team and I'LL get you into a D1." Marginal kids, and their families, hear this and buy it hook, line and sinker.

Here's the "bone sheet" for Chuckies AAU team. http://www.basketballstarsofamerica....america-alumni They even list D1 FOOTBALL signings before DII!!!! Funny how they still have Chuckie as a West Liberty DII signee instead of updating the page to reflect him as a JUCO signee at Polk College. They also trumpet Sim Bhullar signing an "NBA Contract" as a success. Contract was a 10-day contract and they promptly cut him at the end of it. Kicked around the D-League for two years and is now playing in Taiwan.
      Last edited by boatcapt; 07-27-2017, 09:18 AM.

Comment

I know it's hard to believe but even state schools won't admit athletes that don't qualify coming out of HS. Hence their journey to Juco or even NAIA schools (less stringent vs NCAA). Despite your thought of "state schools will take about anybody" they still must meet minimum NCAA requirements i.e. complete 16 core courses, 2.0 GPA in these courses, and SAT combined score of 820 or ACT sum score of 68. ( I believe the GPA goes up to 2.2 after August 2018). Even at this supposedly low bar there are students that don't qualify or are only partial qualifiers. Lesson for student athletes is get your grades in order if your dream is D1, D2, or D3.

Comment

That's not 'supposedly' a low bar. That is a low bar.

I hope he does well. If you've never visited Aliquippa before it's a very rough place full of some very rough people. Getting out of there and getting his school paid for ... wherever that may be ... is a very big accomplishment.

For the record, he did very well academically at Polk State and would have had no issues being admitted at any PSAC or MEC school for the upcoming year. With that in mind, I'd say there's very little doubt he's still hoping for greener pastures.

Comment

On a higher note!

http://www.newsandsentinel.com/sport...-pro-contract/

Comment

That's not 'supposedly' a low bar. That is a low bar.

I hope he does well. If you've never visited Aliquippa before it's a very rough place full of some very rough people. Getting out of there and getting his school paid for ... wherever that may be ... is a very big accomplishment.

For the record, he did very well academically at Polk State and would have had no issues being admitted at any PSAC or MEC school for the upcoming year. With that in mind, I'd say there's very little doubt he's still hoping for greener pastures.
              Not nocking a JUCO education in the least. I have one and it served me well. With 20/20 hindsight, I don't know why any college students waist money spending their first two years at a 4 year...EVEN a public 4 year.

I hope Chuckie (and almost every other college player) realizes what basketball is and that is a means to an end. Play it to the best of your ability, enjoy it and use your god given ability to get a free (or discounted) education to help set you up for the rest of your life.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsnut View Post
                Best line in the article..."West Liberty for his final three years, where he earned his degree..." Gross will never make millions playing pro ball...but over the course of his life, that college degree will earn him $1 million dollars more than a person with a HS diploma.

Comment

Get the researchers out to learn about Jordan Watson, transfer from Liberty to WL, just announced today...

Makes sense though, in that they probably need an experienced PG, in addition to Brady Arnold..not knowing how the Freshman will prevail...

Comment

I don't remember him specifically but he had 16 points in their game at IUP last year. I remember they had some talent on the team -- just not enough.

Comment

was 90% FT shooter last year. Minutes went down last year.
                      I heard Lincoln University head coach was arrested on May 3 ,2017 for exposing himself on some nature trail.
                      So things might have been messed up on the court too.

Comment

More stuff on Jordan Watson and Lincoln.
                        He is 6-2 and has great hops from watching hudl.com
                        Previous coach who recruited him said he is an incredible scorer and that Jordan believes he can score on anyone at anytime.
                        Very good 3 pt shooter with great form, quick release and great range.
                        If he can embrace the West Lib style, he could help.
                        BTW, Doug Overton (coach of Lincoln) pleaded guilty to reduced charges of indecent exposure on Jul 19 and will undergo psychiatric treatment. Had several witnesses refute his defense of simple need for urination in the woods off the trail (unless he is really absent minded and forgot to put things back in his sweatpants, before starting to walk down the trail while staring at women).
                        Hope the treatment works, as flashers have a tendency to progress to more aggressive attacks.

Comment

Is Overton still the coach? I'd be amazed if a coach could survive that act.

Comment

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/Do...wyd-trail.html
                            Ah, the old plea bargain tactic. He fired previous lawyer, and new lawyer plea bargained the multiple counts of indecent exposure into 3 counts of disorderly conduct. Smart move on his part. It allows him to frame the dialogue carefully to vaguely imply but not state that he was just urinating (as he had claimed before) and someone sneaked a peak. As a result, the account by the mainstream media afterJul 19 verdict is now squeaky clean as just a guy who used bad judgment in using the bathroom beside the trail.
                            Read the account of the witnesses above from may 3 and see if you concur.
                            He is still listed as the coach, probably due to disorderly conduct plea bargain. Hope it does not come back to bite the university, if he has ongoing issues.

Comment

Also indecent exposure is considered a sex crime while disorderly conduct is not. I would imagine it would be difficult to get a job as a college coach if you were a registered sex offender.

The unfortunate realty is that if he truly did expose himself, there is a pretty good chance he will do it again. These things don't tend to "clear up" on their own.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                                Also indecent exposure is considered a sex crime while disorderly conduct is not. I would imagine it would be difficult to get a job as a college coach if you were a registered sex offender.

The unfortunate realty is that if he truly did expose himself, there is a pretty good chance he will do it again. These things don't tend to "clear up" on their own.
                                Hopefully, the psychiatric counseling will help to remove any dangling, unresolved issues , so to speak. I hope so.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X