Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Certainly match ups and adjustments are very important. Often I look at the matchups and think there is no way any player for west lib could beat his man in a one on one game! Imho the synergy of west lib team based style mitigates the impact of matchup problems through rapid ball movement; Their 3 pt shooting offsets the impact of an inside dominant player and the forced turnovers reduces touches for the opponents dominating players. They are averaging 45% of their 3s as a team on 160 attempts!
    Imho it takes more than players to beat west lib. Opponents need good coach, avoid getting rattled by the pressure, and unselfish play that values every profession like gold.
    Concord with McBride when they had a shooter with incredible range a couple of years back and wju come to mind as examples.
    They will encounter more of these teams later in the schedule.

Comment

Crutch update. NSU is off to a 3-0 start including quality Ws vs against Lynn and Tampa (both picked to finish above Nova in the SSC preseason coaches poll. Well see how the rest of the season unfolds but DAM, can Crutch coach or what!!!

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
        Crutch update. NSU is off to a 3-0 start including quality Ws vs against Lynn and Tampa (both picked to finish above Nova in the SSC preseason coaches poll. Well see how the rest of the season unfolds but DAM, can Crutch coach or what!!!
        Watched both Linn and Tampa. Nova tied for last in preseason poll with Linn picked 7th with one first place vote and Tampa picked to finish third. Linn looked like a d1 team towering over nova. Nova jumped on them 28-9. Lead dropped to 3 but nova fought back. Incredible coaching not to fold when you are playing 3 True freshman. Crutch also has a great eye for talent. Linn was fouling xfer Isaac white in last minute. He is a 93% ft shooter! Dumb.
        Against Tampa nova won by 23 dominating and outcoaching Tampa. Dennis is flirting with triple doubles each game. First 3-0 start in their history. Crutch is the man!

Comment

Maybe Pitt can hire him. Watching Penn State look like an NBA team against the Panthers ....

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
            Watched both Linn and Tampa. Nova tied for last in preseason poll with Linn picked 7th with one first place vote and Tampa picked to finish third. Linn looked like a d1 team towering over nova. Nova jumped on them 28-9. Lead dropped to 3 but nova fought back. Incredible coaching not to fold when you are playing 3 True freshman. Crutch also has a great eye for talent. Linn was fouling xfer Isaac white in last minute. He is a 93% ft shooter! Dumb.
            Against Tampa nova won by 23 dominating and outcoaching Tampa. Dennis is flirting with triple doubles each game. First 3-0 start in their history. Crutch is the man!
            He does appear to be so! AND he appears to have done a very good job teaching his young Padawan in the ways of the Force.

LOTS of basketball to play but that would be must see TV if they were to meet in the NCAA tourney! I can here Obi Wan saying "I sense a disturbance in the force" right before tip off!!!

Comment

First 3-0 start in their history. Crutch is the man!

Well, it does help when you cherry-pick the best point guard in America to take south with you ... who also knows the 'new' system inside and out. Not all new coaches have such a luxury.

That said, I've said for a year now he'll be in the Top 10 there by next year. They have everything. Beaches, women, facilities, weather, money, nightlife, campus ...

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                First 3-0 start in their history. Crutch is the man!

Well, it does help when you cherry-pick the best point guard in America to take south with you ... who also knows the 'new' system inside and out. Not all new coaches have such a luxury.

That said, I've said for a year now he'll be in the Top 10 there by next year. They have everything. Beaches, women, facilities, weather, money, nightlife, campus ...
                I think it ultimately will depend on him being able to bring in his "type" of players like he did at WLU. We all know the type (gritty, disciplined, unselfish, high energy, can shoot the lights out). Quite simply, south Florida is not known for producing those type of players...at least not in the numbers that Ohio and WV produce. He will have to cherry pick the ones and twos that south FL does produce and then fill out his recruiting classes with outsiders. It can be done and if anyone can make it happen, he can. But it won't be easy.

Right now they are living on Dennis and his familiarity with the style. I also think that the SSC coaches kind of took Crutch lightly. The WLU (now Nova) "style" of play is dramatically different and if you've never played against it, it can certainly challenge you. I expect Crutch to do very well the first time through the league but the second time will be a little more challenging given Nova's current roster limitations.

I wouldn't say Top 10 by next season but wouldn't be surprised to see them solidly in the Top 25...Much will depend on how well he recruits this off season.

But a 3-0 start at Nova is already a HUGE turn around!!!!!!!

Comment

I don't know, Boat. Who is to say he won't keep recruiting the area he knows best? He got Nick Smith down there. I could see him continuing to hit Ohio and WV hard. He certainly has the connections -- and a ton to offer.

Comment

While we weren't looking, WLU pummeled WVW 111-81. French was the big scorer in this one garnering 21 points on 7-10 from behind the line (in only 16 minutes of work!). Six players in double figures and all 12 players that earned minutes scored. Next game is not till next week (the 29th) against Urbana. After that game, the meat of the season begins with games v Notre Dame and Fairmont sandwiched around a trip to Shepherd.

Comment

I don't know, Boat. Who is to say he won't keep recruiting the area he knows best? He got Nick Smith down there. I could see him continuing to hit Ohio and WV hard. He certainly has the connections -- and a ton to offer.
                      I wouldn't be surprised if he continues to pick up recruits from OH/WV but even though Nova has a LOT going for it (sun, sand, pretty girls, etc), it is a private school and it is 1000 miles away. Tuition alone will probably cause Nova to be a non-starter to some potential OH/WV recruits. Distance will probably cause a few more to drop out (mom's want their "baby" to be a LITTLE close and 1000 miles away ain't very close!!). He'll get some no doubt, just don't think he will be able to build a team based solely on them like he did at WLU.

Comment

From watching on the net, I am seeing the team embrace his style and get more effective each game. Two of his freshmen, Hardy and stampley are very athletic. Nick smith is another frosh who is a perfect fit too. Hardy is so smooth I wonder why he is not at d1 as he is the complete package and scored 28 in one game. Last game they hit 45 % of their threes.

Signed two 6-6 guys for next year.

Imho only two of their bigs have bought in - Gibson and tarin.
                        A big risk for this season - The other bigs are not playing. By all rights Linn should have beaten them as their bigs dominated them and their guards were very good.
                        In the last 5 mins nova had to go to a zone. Linn lost because they did not play unselfishly and did not play smart.

I agree familiarity will help opponents. Unfortunately kids are used to taking and making difficult shots on the playground and not playing against intense defensive pressure, but also having success on the court with these habits.

Teams find it difficult to suddenly change their style and treasure every possession 2 times a year when playing against crutch. Fairmont comes to mind. Dominating athletes. But I could really count on them to have at least 7 bad possessions a game which is all west lib needed.

Comment

Would not surprise me to use Ohio contacts. However, Two early signers for next year are from Florida. His two true freshman from Florida are at an entirely different athletic level from the ohio/pa/wv guys he has signed.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                            From watching on the net, I am seeing the team embrace his style and get more effective each game. Two of his freshmen, Hardy and stampley are very athletic. Nick smith is another frosh who is a perfect fit too. Hardy is so smooth I wonder why he is not at d1 as he is the complete package and scored 28 in one game. Last game they hit 45 % of their threes.

Signed two 6-6 guys for next year.

Imho only two of their bigs have bought in - Gibson and tarin.
                            A big risk for this season - The other bigs are not playing. By all rights Linn should have beaten them as their bigs dominated them and their guards were very good.
                            In the last 5 mins nova had to go to a zone. Linn lost because they did not play unselfishly and did not play smart.

I agree familiarity will help opponents. Unfortunately kids are used to taking and making difficult shots on the playground and not playing against intense defensive pressure, but also having success on the court with these habits.

Teams find it difficult to suddenly change their style and treasure every possession 2 times a year when playing against crutch. Fairmont comes to mind. Dominating athletes. But I could really count on them to have at least 7 bad possessions a game which is all west lib needed.
                            Every possession no matter what your system is important. However, I think WLU jumped up in the polls based on stats not on opponent or schedule. I think this is a solid team but teams they have played have not won many games. I would like to see them strengthen the schedule and play crossover with GMAC and Western PSAC teams

Comment

I think WLU was ranked so far down almost solely because Crutch left and we had a rookie coach. Same exact team with him at the helm probably gets ranked around 5. Seeing how WLU has performed and how Big Ben has coached has convinced the polsters that maybe WLU is not going to have a major drop off without Crutch. If they continue to rack the Ws when the sched gets tougher, they will float back up to the top 3 were we are acoustomed to being.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                                I think WLU was ranked so far down almost solely because Crutch left and we had a rookie coach. Same exact team with him at the helm probably gets ranked around 5. Seeing how WLU has performed and how Big Ben has coached has convinced the polsters that maybe WLU is not going to have a major drop off without Crutch. If they continue to rack the Ws when the sched gets tougher, they will float back up to the top 3 were we are acoustomed to being.

Boat-that was a perfect opportunity to debut a new conspiracy theory on how the NCAA wanted to keep WLU down in the rankings early in the season, so it's harder for them to host the regional? Come on, we expect more out of you...

Actually, I think they were voted so far down (for them!) in the preseason polls bc they lost a starting team...Dennis, Clay, Hoehn, Grossenbacher...that's a TON to lose, and to assume they would not miss a beat, would be crazy...but as it turns out...This team gets after it. Love the pressure / hustle / effort.
                                I know they are not going to go undefeated, but it will be interesting to see who can withstand their pressure for 40 mins and get a win...

Of course the night they shoot 7-41 three's, they'll have to overcome, but great start to the Coach Howlett era...

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X