Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Crutch earned a W in his first game at Nova, 116-92 over "Florida National" (A USCAA team). Much has been said about weather Dyer can "replace" Dennis at PG. Here's a meaningless one game comparison between the two last night:

Dennis - 10 pts (3-8 shooting), 7 assists, 6 turnovers, 1 steal in 33 minutes
    Dyer - 7 pts (2-3 shooting), 7 assists, 2 turnovers, 2 steals in 19 minutes

I know it's only one game but I'd say Dyer "won."

Comment

Saddest part about the likely demise of CHEYNEY is that in their probably rather small trophy case there is one marked NCAA DIVISION II MEN'S BASKETBALL NATIONAL CHAMPION 1977-78 . Under HC JOHN CHANEY (yes the TEMPLE coach) they defeated WISC-GREEN BAY 47-40 so his emphasis on defense was around long before he moved to D1. The PSAC really should allow the school to step down to DIII athletics so they at least could play with some hope of competing against other schools that give no athletic scholarships.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
        Saddest part about the likely demise of CHEYNEY is that in their probably rather small trophy case there is one marked NCAA DIVISION II MEN'S BASKETBALL NATIONAL CHAMPION 1977-78 . Under HC JOHN CHANEY (yes the TEMPLE coach) they defeated WISC-GREEN BAY 47-40 so his emphasis on defense was around long before he moved to D1. The PSAC really should allow the school to step down to DIII athletics so they at least could play with some hope of competing against other schools that give no athletic scholarships.
        Cheyney is a vexing problem that goes FAR beyond basketball (or any athletics). Moving down to D3 really won't save them much if any money. There is just soooooo much mismanagement there and resistance to any change. Can't believe they haven't had a University President in years...can't believe they haven't changed their academic focus to areas more likely to attract students...can't believe they haven't seriously curtailed their athletic programs by cutting entire teams. I think Cheyneys only solution is to enter into some sort of public/private partnership with a tech company were they trade land/buildings and establish specific majors/training programs in exchange for cash and campus wide facility upgrades. Even then, it will be tough to come back unless the culture of the Cheyney board of directors and alumni change.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
          Cheyney is a vexing problem that goes FAR beyond basketball (or any athletics). Moving down to D3 really won't save them much if any money. There is just soooooo much mismanagement there and resistance to any change. Can't believe they haven't had a University President in years...can't believe they haven't changed their academic focus to areas more likely to attract students...can't believe they haven't seriously curtailed their athletic programs by cutting entire teams. I think Cheyneys only solution is to enter into some sort of public/private partnership with a tech company were they trade land/buildings and establish specific majors/training programs in exchange for cash and campus wide facility upgrades. Even then, it will be tough to come back unless the culture of the Cheyney board of directors and alumni change.
          All absolutely true. A big part of the problem is PASSHE, the governing body of the 14 state schools. ULTRA POLITICAL and very given to making the same stupid decisions that most political bodies do. Some of the schools have become successful (WCU, IUP, CALU, BLOOM) by virtue of strong local leadership and alumni support, but ,as you said, not at CHEYNEY. Those who support the school probably have 5 years, at most, to get their act together and get a plan turned into action.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
            All absolutely true. A big part of the problem is PASSHE, the governing body of the 14 state schools. ULTRA POLITICAL and very given to making the same stupid decisions that most political bodies do. Some of the schools have become successful (WCU, IUP, CALU, BLOOM) by virtue of strong local leadership and alumni support, but ,as you said, not at CHEYNEY. Those who support the school probably have 5 years, at most, to get their act together and get a plan turned into action.
            The one positive Cheyney gives a number of other PASSHE schools is to keep the cold glare of their troubles being in the spotlight. Without them, that spotlight would be on these other schools and quite possibly serious questions would be asked about whether they should be closed.

With the reductions in state provided funding, you got to wonder if the PASSHE can continue to support soooo very many public colleges that offer basically the same courses of study. Imagine how much the PASSHE could provide to four "regional" state schools instead of the current 14.
            Last edited by boatcapt; 11-11-2017, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Another well rounded performance by the Toppers last night. Looks like our "big three" from a scoring standpoint are going to be Monteroso, Bolton and Griffin. As with Cheyney, this was over early but we did see some signature "WLU Style" things that bode well for the rest of the year...pressure D...steals...points off steals...high %'age shooting.

Comment

Look for the lady toppers to have a nice bounce back year, gave #10 Cal a good game and currently blowing Mercyhurst out. Lots of young and new faces last year and a new young coach who was an assistant here the last few years
                Last edited by Layton; 11-12-2017, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Another well rounded performance by the Toppers last night. Looks like our "big three" from a scoring standpoint are going to be Monteroso, Bolton and Griffin. As with Cheyney, this was over early but we did see some signature "WLU Style" things that bode well for the rest of the year...pressure D...steals...points off steals...high %'age shooting.
                  It is hard to believe but the intensity had gone up a few notches. Rebound outlet pass coming out much faster.

I think Jordan Watson is coming on strong. More comfortable in Seton hill game. Watched him warm up Friday. Hit 3 after 3 after 3 with a variety of moves. Very quick release. Great defensive pressure for a new guy.
                  Nate Allen just needs time to adjust to get rid of bad aau/ d1 defensive habits. Playing too straight up on d and needs to move feet. But the skills are there to dominate. I'm seeing glimpses of what he can do. He was called on a travel when he made an NBA move from the top of key to the rack for a layup. It was so awesome for d2 the ref could have called it for that reason alone. Lol!
                  Meininger and french are also great shooters. If the big does not guard meininger he will bury the 3.

Primmer on Friday was a big surprise. Playing with much more aggressiveness and confidence.

When bolon sets his feet for the 3, he is bonifant like. Saw a video of him hitting 31 in a row in high school practice a while back.
                  West lib is harassing the bigs down low with their guards.
                  They are playing 13 guys with no apparent drop off in efficiency or teamwork.
                  Will take great coach, big unselfish team who can play d and protect ball and/or bad shooting night for the entire game to beat them imho.

Comment

From the Wheeling newspaper:

[I]

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                      From the Wheeling newspaper:

[I]
                      He covers all the local teams, high school, college, and the Nailers maybe the Steelers too. He speaks his mind and is controversial at times. I'm pretty sure he's a member of this site

Comment

There is a lot of residual blow back from football and how the MEC, and the WVIAC before that, always get's the short end of the playoff selection stick. As I posted in the football playoff thread, name the last time a two loss MEC (or WVIAC) team was selected? Now name the last time a two loss PSAC team did not make the playoffs? Name the number of time the PSAC got fewer than three teams in the playoffs? Name the number of times the MEC/WVIAC got three team in the playoffs? Sure, it's a completely different sport but when you are treated like you are less than another conference, there tends to be some bleed over in feelings.

Comment

There is a lot of residual blow back from football and how the MEC, and the WVIAC before that, always get's the short end of the playoff selection stick. As I posted in the football playoff thread, name the last time a two loss MEC (or WVIAC) team was selected? Now name the last time a two loss PSAC team did not make the playoffs? Name the number of time the PSAC got fewer than three teams in the playoffs? Name the number of times the MEC/WVIAC got three team in the playoffs? Sure, it's a completely different sport but when you are treated like you are less than another conference, there tends to be some bleed over in feelings.
                          I'm a fan of both conferences...and prefer the MEC brand of hoops...but that being said...SRU put a whipping on two MEC teams this weekend...I'm trying to remember the other results, but I don't think the MEC was super lopsided over the PSAC, for the weekend, were they?

I wouldn't even bring that up if I beat Cheyney and Seton Hill... SRU took out two decent MEC teams..

That being said...I love the energy and passion the Hilltoppers are playing with...

Comment

In reality, the PSAC went 9-5 against the MEC this past weekend.

Millersville over Notre Dame
                            IUP over Urbana
                            Seton Hill over Charleston
                            Cal over WVW
                            UPJ over Urbana
                            Gannon over Shepherd
                            Rock over Glenville
                            Rock over WVW
                            Cal over Glenville

WJ over Gannon
                            WL over Cheyney
                            WL over Seton Hill
                            Charleston over Cheyney
                            FSU over Millersville

On the women's side it was pretty even with the PSAC taking a slight 8-7 advantage.

My whole point was that's message board stuff ... not newspaper stuff. Things I read in the newspaper should be factual. Nobody claimed superiority. That's just making stuff up.
                            Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 11-14-2017, 08:04 AM.

Comment

I would proffer that message board stuff IS newspaper (and TV news) stuff now. How many "journalists" have online blogs now? Personal opinion is what passes for journalism now and the more extreme that opinion, the more popular number of hits it generates.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
                                I'm a fan of both conferences...and prefer the MEC brand of hoops...but that being said...SRU put a whipping on two MEC teams this weekend...I'm trying to remember the other results, but I don't think the MEC was super lopsided over the PSAC, for the weekend, were they?

I wouldn't even bring that up if I beat Cheyney and Seton Hill... SRU took out two decent MEC teams..

That being said...I love the energy and passion the Hilltoppers are playing with...
                                I point out that two of the PSAC W's came against Urbana which was picked to finish dead last in the MEC and the W's SRU had against "decent" MEC teams were actually v Glenville and WVW...Glenville was pegged as a bottom tier MEC team picked to finish #9 and WVW is a middle of the pack MEC team picked to finish #6. Cal also played the same two teams. So four of the PSAC's 9 W's came against MEC back markers. Probably the only marque matchup between the two conferences was WJ v Gannon.
                                Last edited by boatcapt; 11-14-2017, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X