Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    I agree. All these in season polls are not worth the electrons used to post them. Buuuuutttttt...I do recall a rather lengthy discussion of the SIDA poll several weeks ago (month?) when IUP was #1.
    Not by this guy...

Comment

Have to be about due for the actual regional rankings, right? Next week? That's when the real fun bantering starts.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        Have to be about due for the actual regional rankings, right? Next week? That's when the real fun bantering starts.
        Is it next Monday or 2 weeks from now?

Comment

71 points in the second half tonight...WOW!! Bolon goes over 30 for the fourth straight game. There are a number of SR1 teams that struggle to score 71 points in an entire game!

Bolon has to be a First Team All-American on the "one eyed player" team! Can anyone recall a player with an eye patch doing what he is doing??

Comment

Talk about taking lemons and making lemon aid! Very few players can do what Bolon has done with TWO good eyes!!

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...berty-dii-mens

Comment

Talk about taking lemons and making lemon aid! Very few players can do what Bolon has done with TWO good eyes!!

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...berty-dii-mens
              From today's West Liberty/Charleston game notes....

Bolon has scored 125 points in 119 minutes (31.3 ppg.) in February while shooting 69% (38-55) from the floor and 73% (22-30) from the 3-point arc

Comment

I'll be interested to hear from anyone who had a chance to watch the game today what was the game's narrative. I was unable to watch, but I admit I wasn't totally surprised to hear the result. Charleston has had their number at times in the past, and WLU is often guilty of at least one inexplicable late-season loss, so this one felt like a possibility. But I'll be interested to hear some analysis from those of you who got to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post
                  I'll be interested to hear from anyone who had a chance to watch the game today what was the game's narrative. I was unable to watch, but I admit I wasn't totally surprised to hear the result. Charleston has had their number at times in the past, and WLU is often guilty of at least one inexplicable late-season loss, so this one felt like a possibility. But I'll be interested to hear some analysis from those of you who got to see it.
                  Charleston is always a tough match-up for West Liberty. They threw an absolute blanket over Bolon and it looked like WLU - which still has two freshmen and two sophomores getting the bulk of the minutes - panicked a little bit when the shots they normally make weren't falling. Very little ball movement and way too much dribble-drive. UC had a 14-0 run early in the second half and West Liberty spent a lot of energy battling back. Went up 75-70 in the last minute but some bad shot selection left the door open and UC ran a great set to get an open look for their shooter to tie it with 15 seconds left in regulation. Charleston simply outplayed West Liberty in overtime. With the Hilltoppers down by 2, they got a big defensive stop with 10 seconds left but a horrible turnover gave it right back to UC. Two free throws made it a 4-point game and WLU hit a 3 at the buzzer for the final score. They've had issues closing out games with their youth all year and it finally came back to bite them. At least they got a good teaching tape out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by timbertopper View Post
                    Charleston is always a tough match-up for West Liberty. They threw an absolute blanket over Bolon and it looked like WLU - which still has two freshmen and two sophomores getting the bulk of the minutes - panicked a little bit when the shots they normally make weren't falling. Very little ball movement and way too much dribble-drive. UC had a 14-0 run early in the second half and West Liberty spent a lot of energy battling back. Went up 75-70 in the last minute but some bad shot selection left the door open and UC ran a great set to get an open look for their shooter to tie it with 15 seconds left in regulation. Charleston simply outplayed West Liberty in overtime. With the Hilltoppers down by 2, they got a big defensive stop with 10 seconds left but a horrible turnover gave it right back to UC. Two free throws made it a 4-point game and WLU hit a 3 at the buzzer for the final score. They've had issues closing out games with their youth all year and it finally came back to bite them. At least they got a good teaching tape out of it.
                    Thanks, timber. I'm with you that they seem to have had a bit of trouble closing it out throughout the year (i.e., recalling how they let Shepherd hang around way too long at home, gave up an easy layup to Bolte at the regulation buzzer, among others). So, the law of averages suggests they wouldn't always manage to escape. And I hope you're right that they use this one as a learning experience for the young guys moving forward.

But learning or not, they now have an almost guaranteed trip to Indiana coming up in March, and I gotta believe IUP will be a real tough customer in their building (well, anywhere, but especially in their building).

Comment

Yeah the youth showed a little yesterday. Late in games there are possessions that they need to be a little more patient and run the shot clock down. It's tempting for competitive confident kids to want to hit the shot that is the dagger but when it doesn't fall it opens the door also. These young kids are getting the experience that you can only get in games like this. Yeah you wanna win them all but it doesnt work like that.
                      WL will make their run in the post season and who knows how far that could be but also let these youngsters get a year under their belt and then add who they are redshirtting and a couple key recruits and they will be in a good place.

Comment

I'm not terribly surprised that they lost to UC...disappointed, but not surprised. For all this years Topper team has done, we tend to forget how young they are. As pointed out, probably for the first time this year, that youth really showed through. Hopefully this loss will refocus the team and drive home that everyone they play is going to bring their A game and they need to respond in kind.

Seems like every year we have a "lose" game were nothing goes right for us and the other team plays over their heads. Until proven otherwise, I'll chalk this loss up to that.

Comment

I'm not terribly surprised that they lost to UC...disappointed, but not surprised. For all this years Topper team has done, we tend to forget how young they are. As pointed out, probably for the first time this year, that youth really showed through. Hopefully this loss will refocus the team and drive home that everyone they play is going to bring their A game and they need to respond in kind.

Seems like every year we have a "lose" game were nothing goes right for us and the other team plays over their heads. Until proven otherwise, I'll chalk this loss up to that.
                          Yep - Seemed like everyone was somewhat out of sync. Basket had a lid on it. But I was really impressed by how hard they played to overcome these issues. What is special about this team is that despite the fact that they are not forcing the huge turnover margins of other great WL teams, they compensate by being the best shooting WL team in the last 7 years and hitting the offensive glass much harder than the earlier teams.

I think they were down 13 in the second half, but they just kept the pressure and intensity up and had a 75-70 lead late. But as others have said, they just aren't experienced in clock management under 2 minutes. Also, too much dribble drive. We need to turn off the NBA channel in West Lib LOL. In general; dribble drive is not WL's game - what makes them difficult to beat is the rapid ball movement and great players passing up good shots to give someone else a great shot. With rapid ball movement no one can rest on team defense and every opponent's players cannot make a mental mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                            Yep - Seemed like everyone was somewhat out of sync. Basket had a lid on it. But I was really impressed by how hard they played to overcome these issues. What is special about this team is that despite the fact that they are not forcing the huge turnover margins of other great WL teams, they compensate by being the best shooting WL team in the last 7 years and hitting the offensive glass much harder than the earlier teams.

I think they were down 13 in the second half, but they just kept the pressure and intensity up and had a 75-70 lead late. But as others have said, they just aren't experienced in clock management under 2 minutes. Also, too much dribble drive. We need to turn off the NBA channel in West Lib LOL. In general; dribble drive is not WL's game - what makes them difficult to beat is the rapid ball movement and great players passing up good shots to give someone else a great shot. With rapid ball movement no one can rest on team defense and every opponent's players cannot make a mental mistake.
                            There are no moral victories at this point on the season but I am impressed with how they came back. Ultimately they didnt close out when they should have in regulation even with a 5 point lead with 1 min to play. Hopefully they learned a lot about playing strong to the final horn.

But from a programmatic standpoint, what they have done so far with this super young team is really immpressive. WLU is really set up for next year when, barring injuries or sophomore slumps, they will be loaded.

Comment

Anyone have the story on GSC star Darhius Nunn? Last March he announced he was transferring because of the firing of his coach. But he must have ended up deciding to stick around, because he played 28 minutes and scord 13 in GSC's trip to the Hilltop earlier this season. But now, he's officially off the roster and has been absent from recent box scores. Did something happen (injury-wise or otherwise) to prompt him to leave the team midseason? Just curious if anyone saw anything about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post
                                Anyone have the story on GSC star Darhius Nunn? Last March he announced he was transferring because of the firing of his coach. But he must have ended up deciding to stick around, because he played 28 minutes and scord 13 in GSC's trip to the Hilltop earlier this season. But now, he's officially off the roster and has been absent from recent box scores. Did something happen (injury-wise or otherwise) to prompt him to leave the team midseason? Just curious if anyone saw anything about that.
                                He was on Verbal Committs yesterday as an available transfer.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X