Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
    Saw tiffin game. Wl was really out of sync especially in 1st half. Coach thought was worst first half ever.
    Some silver linings:
    1) had more turnovers, few assists and 16 % from three and still won. They had a strong will to win.
    2) two freshman are starting to become dominant go to players at crunch time. Both hill and yoakum had over 20 points.
    3) veteran guards are having trouble guarding hill as he beats them off dribble for layups. He and yoakum are deadly from three too.

Only bodes well for March.
    It was the bone crushing defense WLU plays that got them the W. Limited Tiffin to 39% from the field and 23% from three range!

Good to see Hill and Yokum can carry the team when Bolon is having an off night. At 8 points, it's only the second time all season he's been held below 20 so it doesn't happen very often, but it is good to see that Hill and Yokum are capable of picking up the slack when it does.

Also a shout out to Marlon Moore...When he get's minutes, he scores. He's not a 3 point shooter and that is fine on this team.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
      It was the bone crushing defense WLU plays that got them the W. Limited Tiffin to 39% from the field and 23% from three range!

Good to see Hill and Yokum can carry the team when Bolon is having an off night. At 8 points, it's only the second time all season he's been held below 20 so it doesn't happen very often, but it is good to see that Hill and Yokum are capable of picking up the slack when it does.

Also a shout out to Marlon Moore...When he get's minutes, he scores. He's not a 3 point shooter and that is fine on this team.
      This was probably your best defensive outing of the season, to date

Comment

Originally posted by PSAC76 View Post
        This was probably your best defensive outing of the season, to date
        You forgot to use the newly trademarked "bone crushing" when describing the defensive effort. Boat had to come up with a new trademark since "suffocating" has now been appropriated by the PSAC posters. ; )

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post
          You forgot to use the newly trademarked "bone crushing" when describing the defensive effort. Boat had to come up with a new trademark since "suffocating" has now been appropriated by the PSAC posters. ; )
          Ha, my apologies. I'll leave the "bone crushing" part for when you do it against a team with a winning record. I cannot just throw that term out at any point. It deserves special treatment!

Comment

Good points about Moore. He played a critical role with his defense and work on glass.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
              Good points about Moore. He played a critical role with his defense and work on glass.
              Would you say his defense was bone crushing or suffocating?

Comment

Would you say his defense was bone crushing or suffocating?
                Lol! To paraphrase a movie quote, His defense "ate his opponent's liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti!"

Comment

Wow...Took 2 OTs but WLU prevails over a game Concord squad 109-108!!

Comment

Wow...Took 2 OTs but WLU prevails over a game Concord squad 109-108!!
                    Boys can play. I told you they were good.

No size. That's what is killing them.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                      Boys can play. I told you they were good.

No size. That's what is killing them.
                      You could see the lack of size play out in the first half in particular. That first half was dominated by WLU's "big" guys--Meininger and Yoakum--getting to the rack without fear of a rim protector there.

And if there's such a thing as a "quiet" 40 point night, this was it. For the first 35 minutes of that game, Bolte was downright off. He absolutely took over the game in the final 5 of regulation and in OT, but it's good to get a W against Concord when Bolte has an off-ish night. If you don't beat them when he's not feeling it, you have no prayer when he's lighting it up (like he did starting at the 35 minute mark). Really was a tale of two games for Bolte.

What impressed me most, though, was Concord's perimeter defense. WLU really struggled to get into an offensive rhythm, and I credit Concord's (bone crushing?) defense for that.

Good to escape with a W any way you can at this point in the season.

Comment

WLU has a couple of these gritty W's seemingly every year. Games when they just seem to refuse to lose. Bolte tried to put Concord on his back down the stretch but even with his heroics, WLU just always had an answer and would not be denied.

If WLU had a height advantage, Concord must be a team of midgets!!

Comment

WLU has a couple of these gritty W's seemingly every year. Games when they just seem to refuse to lose. Bolte tried to put Concord on his back down the stretch but even with his heroics, WLU just always had an answer and would not be denied.

If WLU had a height advantage, Concord must be a team of midgets!!
                          It will be a good rematch. I'm glad I tuned in ... very entertaining.

But, yeah, add Cobo Diaz to Concord and they win the national title.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                            It will be a good rematch. I'm glad I tuned in ... very entertaining.

But, yeah, add Cobo Diaz to Concord and they win the national title.
                            So the addition of one IUP player would give Conc a better chance to win a NC than IUP WITH Diaz? Daaammmm...IUP must be pretty bad!!! Hahahaha!

Sometimes rematches dont live up to the hype!

Comment

I'm saying that is what is killing Concord. No post game at all. That's why IUP blew out Fairmont. Total mismatch putting 6'5" post players against IUP. Teams have no chance under the bucket.

Comment

But yeah ... put Cobo and Bolte on same team ... wow.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X