Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Impressive win for the Toppers over Fairmont. WLU never trailed the entire game and was only tied once at 12-12! Coasted to an 11 point W that felt more like 20.

WLU made a STRONG case that inspite of all the hoopla for IUP, THEY are the true beast of SR1 this year.

Couple this with IUP's loss and WLU is the odds on favorite to host Regionals.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
      Impressive win for the Toppers over Fairmont. WLU never trailed the entire game and was only tied once at 12-12! Coasted to an 11 point W that felt more like 20.

WLU made a STRONG case that inspite of all the hoopla for IUP, THEY are the true beast of SR1 this year.

Couple this with IUP's loss and WLU is the odds on favorite to host Regionals.
      IUP is still the odds on favorite to host the regional. Their strength schedule far surpasses WLU. I watched tht game yesterday... the defense by both teams was horrendous. I'll leave it at that.

Comment

It's interesting you are being critical of FSU and WL defensively when all IUP had to do was prevent a good 3 point look for 7 seconds and they couldn't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtybird View Post
          It's interesting you are being critical of FSU and WL defensively when all IUP had to do was prevent a good 3 point look for 7 seconds and they couldn't do it.
          Hursts D stifled IUP particularly in the first half. I frankly expected more from them given that they were playing at home in a mostly packed house. Losing always stings but getting shut down defensively in your own building before a full house REALLY hurts.

So much for the hard part of their schedule being over.

Comment

WJ put one on Shepherd last night. Maybe their turnaround will be faster than we think.

Comment

IUP gave up 64 points. It wasn't their D that lost that game. Piss poor shooting lost that game. Poor shooting happens to every team once in awhile. Now when you watch a game and two teams repeatedly give up weak side buckets because off ball defense sucks then you got major issues! Just sayin...

Comment

I understand. Just had to point that out cuz I thought it was kinda funny. I just picked a bad half to watch IUP for the first time this season. I watched the 2nd half last nite. I know they're much much better than what they showed but I logged off wondering what all the buzz was about. I do agree though that they are the front runner to host, WL's 2 losses have come to teams that IUP have beaten. Also WL SOS is a little better but still not as tough as IUP's.

Comment

But SOS changes based on what the team you played does over the course of a season. WLU beating Fairmont Sat will pull IUP's OWP down a bit. Probably not down a whole lot, but down just the same. By the same token, IUP's loss to Hurst will pull WLU's OOWP down a touch. But at the end of the day, the direct SOS effect of what happened this weekend will have a larger negative SOS effect on IUP. The overall effect will be small but it will be there.

Tracking PI and SOS during the course of a season as "proof" that one team is "better" than another is fools gold and little more than message board fodder. Gives us somthing to talk about but there is little value to until all the games are played.

Comment

But SOS changes based on what the team you played does over the course of a season. WLU beating Fairmont Sat will pull IUP's OWP down a bit. Probably not down a whole lot, but down just the same. By the same token, IUP's loss to Hurst will pull WLU's OOWP down a touch. But at the end of the day, the direct SOS effect of what happened this weekend will have a larger negative SOS effect on IUP. The overall effect will be small but it will be there.

Tracking PI and SOS during the course of a season as "proof" that one team is "better" than another is fools gold and little more than message board fodder. Gives us somthing to talk about but there is little value to until all the games are played.
                    Right so at the same time every time Kutztown keeps losing it isn't doing WL any favors. Shoulda played Penn State-Fayette instead like you wanted to. Or have we forgot crying a river because they played a real team and lost to start the season? One that likely finishes 5th in the PSAC East.

Mercyhurst likely runs the table and gets the 4 seed.

Comment

I understand. Just had to point that out cuz I thought it was kinda funny. I just picked a bad half to watch IUP for the first time this season. I watched the 2nd half last nite. I know they're much much better than what they showed but I logged off wondering what all the buzz was about. I do agree though that they are the front runner to host, WL's 2 losses have come to teams that IUP have beaten. Also WL SOS is a little better but still not as tough as IUP's.
                      It's not hoopla. All you can judge is a resume. Not what 8 dorks on a message board talk about. IUP has two losses. Both will be regionally ranked. They also have wins against just about every good team in the region. Only thing for sure is it plays itself out.

Comment

I said buzz not hoopla and I am agreeing with you. I also said that I am sure they are much better than what I saw in just one half. Also believe that it will play itself out in all likelihood at IUP.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                          It's not hoopla. All you can judge is a resume. Not what 8 dorks on a message board talk about. IUP has two losses. Both will be regionally ranked. They also have wins against just about every good team in the region. Only thing for sure is it plays itself out.
                          Funny thing is that the SIDs just voted to flip-flop IUP and WLU in the rankings. I happen to agree with you (and disagree with the SIDs) that IUP is still the team to beat in the region with a slightly stronger resume. But, heck, I'm just one of those 8 message board jockeys you were referencing. What do I know?!

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                            Right so at the same time every time Kutztown keeps losing it isn't doing WL any favors. Shoulda played Penn State-Fayette instead like you wanted to. Or have we forgot crying a river because they played a real team and lost to start the season? One that likely finishes 5th in the PSAC East.

Mercyhurst likely runs the table and gets the 4 seed.
                            If WLU had played Penn State-Fayette, we would be in better shape right now. Our PI would be higher and so would our SOS. As a D3, Fayette wouldn't count for or against WLU's record so we would be sitting at 17-1 with a higher PI.

Apparently the D2SIDA's think WLU is the best team in SR1 as they just elevated WLU to #1 over now #2 IUP.

Comment

If WLU had played Penn State-Fayette, we would be in better shape right now. Our PI would be higher and so would our SOS. As a D3, Fayette wouldn't count for or against WLU's record so we would be sitting at 17-1 with a higher PI.

Apparently the D2SIDA's think WLU is the best team in SR1 as they just elevated WLU to #1 over now #2 IUP.
                              Most SID's only pay attention to their team. They look at records and if you lost most recently, they drop you. Dumb!

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                                Most SID's only pay attention to their team. They look at records and if you lost most recently, they drop you. Dumb!
                                I agree. All these in season polls are not worth the electrons used to post them. Buuuuutttttt...I do recall a rather lengthy discussion of the SIDA poll several weeks ago (month?) when IUP was #1.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X