Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Hill was an incredibly talented scorer but his skill set seemed more suited to a 2-guard than a point guard. Looking at his final season stats, he averaged 13.5 points a game for a team that averaged more than 100 points a night. Pretty big-time for a true freshman. On the other hand, he only averaged 2 assists a game for a team that had almost 600 assists on the season. Great kid and I hope he finds a good landing spot but you can count the number of 5-11 2-guards in Division I on the fingers of one foot.

Comment

Originally posted by timbertopper View Post
      Hill was an incredibly talented scorer but his skill set seemed more suited to a 2-guard than a point guard. Looking at his final season stats, he averaged 13.5 points a game for a team that averaged more than 100 points a night. Pretty big-time for a true freshman. On the other hand, he only averaged 2 assists a game for a team that had almost 600 assists on the season. Great kid and I hope he finds a good landing spot but you can count the number of 5-11 2-guards in Division I on the fingers of one foot.
      The 'D1' school he'll likely land at would lose to the 'D2' team he just left. Just sayin'

Comment

Originally posted by timbertopper View Post
        Good points. Wonder if Boswell slides to 2 guard? In any event some folks will inherit major minutes with him leaving, either in first or second platoon.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          The 'D1' school he'll likely land at would lose to the 'D2' team he just left. Just sayin'
          Not saying that, but WLU would give them a good run for their money...and probably beat them 50% of the time!! Wonder if he will be like Dennis...wait and wait and wait for a D1 offer and then have to end up taking a late DII offer as a lifeline?

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
            Not saying that, but WLU would give them a good run for their money...and probably beat them 50% of the time!! Wonder if he will be like Dennis...wait and wait and wait for a D1 offer and then have to end up taking a late DII offer as a lifeline?
            I'll crack up if Crutch signs him. LOL. That would be funny.

Comment

Hahaha...He would be OFF my Christmas card list if that happened!!

Comment

Comment

Don't forget that WLU benefited from a similar situation in the past. Cedric Harris left Jesuit to try his hand at D1. Attempted to walk on at Ohio State, and--needless to say--that didn't work out. When he wanted to return to D2, WLU signed him and he went on to become National Player of the Year. So, I guess it works both ways. Still sorry to see Hill go.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post
                    Don't forget that WLU benefited from a similar situation in the past. Cedric Harris left Jesuit to try his hand at D1. Attempted to walk on at Ohio State, and--needless to say--that didn't work out. When he wanted to return to D2, WLU signed him and he went on to become National Player of the Year. So, I guess it works both ways. Still sorry to see Hill go.

That's an interesting story. That's hard to believe he couldn't even make the team as a walk-on.

I also wonder about those kids when I watch D1 games. They all have them .. those guys at the end of the bench. Most could probably have very good careers in D2 but instead choose to take the practice squad route in D1 (and not play more than a couple minutes in four years). Some, I suppose, simply just like saying they play at WVU or Pitt or whatever.

Comment

That's an interesting story. That's hard to believe he couldn't even make the team as a walk-on.

I also wonder about those kids when I watch D1 games. They all have them .. those guys at the end of the bench. Most could probably have very good careers in D2 but instead choose to take the practice squad route in D1 (and not play more than a couple minutes in four years). Some, I suppose, simply just like saying they play at WVU or Pitt or whatever.
                      I've often wondered that very thing about even a kid like Chase Harler at WVU. He's a local kid from around the Wheeling area. He battles for minutes every year, sometimes winning over Huggins with hustle plays and earning a start or two. And sometimes he gets bypassed for more obvious D1 bodies and slides to a bench role. So, he's had a bit of a roller-coaster career at WVU. Maybe next year is the year and he becomes a true cornerstone for the WVU squad. But, I can't help but think his set of skills would have turned him into a National scoring champ and POY at a place like West Liberty. Wouldn't it be a lot more fun to be a National force on a National power at D2 than being a grinder at D1? And wouldn't the story you tell later ("I was D2 POY and had a 5-year career in Greece after graduation") be just as good as "I lettered for WVU"?

Comment

I've often wondered that very thing about even a kid like Chase Harler at WVU. He's a local kid from around the Wheeling area. He battles for minutes every year, sometimes winning over Huggins with hustle plays and earning a start or two. And sometimes he gets bypassed for more obvious D1 bodies and slides to a bench role. So, he's had a bit of a roller-coaster career at WVU. Maybe next year is the year and he becomes a true cornerstone for the WVU squad. But, I can't help but think his set of skills would have turned him into a National scoring champ and POY at a place like West Liberty. Wouldn't it be a lot more fun to be a National force on a National power at D2 than being a grinder at D1? And wouldn't the story you tell later ("I was D2 POY and had a 5-year career in Greece after graduation") be just as good as "I lettered for WVU"?
                        And how about Rhoutt, the 6'11" guy from Cameron who could tear up the MEC with his limited skills playing P5 basketball. If Huggs would let him go, hopefully he would consider WL.

Comment

THIS!!!

I have maintained this for years... I still think D2 doesn't get the props it deserves...If it's not D1, people don't think they're any good, when the Top 25 D2 teams could compete for conference titles in the lower level d1 conferences...no doubt about it..

So players coming out of HS have this "D1 Aura" and some would rather sit bench instead of play 4 years... CRAZY

Comment

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
                            THIS!!!

I have maintained this for years... I still think D2 doesn't get the props it deserves...If it's not D1, people don't think they're any good, when the Top 25 D2 teams could compete for conference titles in the lower level d1 conferences...no doubt about it..

So players coming out of HS have this "D1 Aura" and some would rather sit bench instead of play 4 years... CRAZY

Take a step further most of those 'roster fillers' at the end of the bench are walk-ons ... i.e. paying their own way to often times VERY expensive P5 schools.

Pitt had a local token the past 4 years. They let him start on senior day and he was out of the game in about 12 seconds.

Each his own, I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
                              THIS!!!

Seems like most HS players would rather ride the pine at a D1, ANY D1, than go to a DII and play a lead role. I've got a friend that I've known for 20 years now who says with great pride that he played football at the University of Maryland. He talks with pride about being Neil O'Donnels teammate. We were having a few beverages one night a couple of years ago and he finally admitted that his college career at Maryland lasted one season as a walk-on member of the scout team getting beat on by the starters! He admitted that the only way he knew Neil O'Donnel was when he would specifically look for him on plays to throw the ball to the receiver he was trying to cover!!! Being a "DII guy" even then, I asked why he didn't go DII. He said he had a bunch of DII offers but playing for one never entered his mind. His words, why would I want to play for a Podunk little school when I could walk-on for a real team at a real school?

Comment

At a school like WVU the perks are not comparable. It's easier to accept riding the pine or playing a small role when the facilities are awesome, you are flying to away games, eating and staying at top notch restaurants and hotels, and getting a ton of cool Nike gear and shoes. Compared to having some dominoes and a bottle of water during a 4 hour bus ride home.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X