SF Marlon Moore (Jr)

Second 5:

PG Evan Connley (TF)
      SG Malik McKinney (So)*
      SF Jon Alessandro (So)
      SF Bryce Butler (TF)
      PF Owen Hazelbaker (TF)

* Starting experience

Obviously there are as yet unannounced players coming in that could "upset" this initial lineup. I'd antisipate two transfers and two freshmen.

Comment

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
        Way too early First 5:

PG Luke Dyer (Jr)*
        SG Preston Boswell (Jr)*
        SG Dalton Bolon (Jr)*
        SF Will Yoakum (Jr)*
        SF Marlon Moore (Jr)

Second 5:

PG Evan Connley (TF)
        SG Malik McKinney (So)*
        SF Jon Alessandro (So)
        SF Bryce Butler (TF)
        PF Owen Hazelbaker (TF)

* Starting experience

Obviously there are as yet unannounced players coming in that could "upset" this initial lineup. I'd antisipate two transfers and two freshmen.
        Agree with first platoon.
        I wonder if any of freshman will redshirt to get stronger or develop their skills. Like you said it depends on the future players, if any.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
          Agree with first platoon.
          I wonder if any of freshman will redshirt to get stronger or develop their skills. Like you said it depends on the future players, if any.
          Think they would need to bring in some really top notch transfer talent for that to be possible. I'm not a fan of "one and done" type transfers although this might be the year for one of those...someone capable of playing within the WLU system (hard to find) to plug a hole for one year and effectively give a freshman one year to redshirt.

From the current roster, I think our first seven are really strong with all but Alessandro having considerable front line (in most cases starting) experience. While WU typically goes much deeper than that, I note that there are some pretty good basketball teams that effectively only go seven deep. Of course, seven would assume that Alessandro and ALL three of the incoming freshmen are total busts...ALSO assumes that any additional transfers/HS recruits that Ben brings in are also total busts! Sure, that is possible, but Ben's track record with recruiting talent doesn't indicate he has the ability to miss on 7-9 straight players!!!
          Last edited by boatcapt; 04-02-2019, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Think they would need to bring in some really top notch transfer talent for that to be possible. I'm not a fan of "one and done" type transfers although this might be the year for one of those...someone capable of playing within the WLU system (hard to find) to plug a hole for one year and effectively give a freshman one year to redshirt.

From the current roster, I think our first seven are really strong with all but Alessandro having considerable front line (in most cases starting) experience. While WU typically goes much deeper than that, I note that there are some pretty good basketball teams that effectively only go seven deep. Of course, seven would assume that Alessandro and ALL three of the incoming freshmen are total busts...ALSO assumes that any additional transfers/HS recruits that Ben brings in are also total busts! Sure, that is possible, but Ben's track record with recruiting talent doesn't indicate he has the ability to miss on 7-9 straight players!!!

My only hesitation with that lineup is if you run in to another Dustin Sleva or Patrick Smith. Not much bulk in that lineup. And, to win the last game, you're going to eventually run in to those guys.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              My only hesitation with that lineup is if you run in to another Dustin Sleva or Patrick Smith. Not much bulk in that lineup. And, to win the last game, you're going to eventually run in to those guys.

Comment

We need a go fund me campaign to send Ben to Serbia and Croatia to bring back a 6-9 and 240 lb player who is fundamentally sound, hits 40% from three and ran cross country in his spare time ! Lol

Comment

Alessandro is listed at 205 this year which I think is a 10 pound bump over his HS weight. If he can put on another 10 this off season and play at 6'7", 215, that would be great. Hazelbaker is listed at 6'7", 210 coming into the program (if he doesn't redshirt). So at least we have some options we didn't have the last couple of years. But much will depend on the players we don't know about yet. If it is four more "shooting forwards" that go 6'5", 185, we will have to hope we catch the Sleva or Smith's on their off nights...If one of the four goes 6'7", 225, we should be OK provided Alessandro and Hazelbaker can play.

Comment

We need a go fund me campaign to send Ben to Serbia and Croatia to bring back a 6-9 and 240 lb player who is fundamentally sound, hits 40% from three and ran cross country in his spare time ! Lol
                    Hahahahaha!!! I'll make the first $20 donation!

Comment

That's how they found Cobo. Joe sent an assistant to Spain to recruit a center. Word of mouth sent the assisant out to the Canary Islands and that's where they found him.

Interesting story. Cobo came here and didn't speak a word of English ... and will graduate in May with a double major in finance and international business.

Quite an accomplishment.

Comment

That's how they found Cobo. Joe sent an assistant to Spain to recruit a center. Word of mouth sent the assisant out to the Canary Islands and that's where they found him.

Interesting story. Cobo came here and didn't speak a word of English ... and will graduate in May with a double major in finance and international business.

Quite an accomplishment.
                        Hummmmm...One might wonder how he took and apparently scored well enough on the SAT or ACT to get into IUP? That first assignment in US History must have been tough!!!

Comment

Hummmmm...One might wonder how he took and apparently scored well enough on the SAT or ACT to get into IUP? That first assignment in US History must have been tough!!!
                          I'd have to think they offer a version of the test in Spanish? He's a very intelligent guy.

Comment

Is it official that Greely from Bridgeport is leaving the program?

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsnut View Post
                              Is it official that Greely from Bridgeport is leaving the program?
                              verbalcommits.com has him with an offer from Southern Wesleyan, who went 2-26 last year.Played King last year. They are a private Christian University in the Conference Carolinas league and located in Central, SC.
                              So I would assume that he will be leaving.
                              I don't know of anything "official". Maybe check his twitter?
                              Last edited by Columbuseer; 04-02-2019, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Quite an accomplishment.
                                He is the protypical player for West Lib - Intelligent, high basketball IQ, can dribble, pass, shoot from 3 and rebound. I have to admit that when I saw him play, I thought about how he could thrive in an up and down, open court, fast moving game like West Lib plays. I could see WLU averaging 110+ pts a game! Of course, he would be an All-American in any style. Great player! Share the wealth guys. Give us your second pick of a big man from overseas that is in the mold of Cobo. LOL

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X