Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    Seem to be a middle of the pack sort of conference. Typically they get one team into the NCAA. This is the conference that houses perennial IUP opponent University of Science. Within the conference, Holy Family finished in the middle roughly at .500. Lost to West Chester by 10 and beat Shepherd by 1 in OT this year.

As for spots left, it depends on how many Ben wants. With this cat, we have 11 so the minimum would be one more. If Ben wants 14...three vacancies.
    Looks like transfers are shooting guards. Wonder if one slot reserved for point guard or a big man?

Comment

It seems like recently we are still getting wlu type players but we are upgrading in terms of sheer athletic ability with each successive recruiting class.

Comment

Guess he has to sit out next year?

Comment

Only if Holy Family put a restriction on his release...or did not approve his release.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
            Last call to get on board the wlu train! Seats are filling up.
            I posted this before, and I'm only using anecdotal evidence, but I think WL has had a higher than average percentage of left-handers play for them.

In the last several seasons, they've had these 9 lefties:

Corey Pelle (showing my long term fandom with that one)
            CJ Hester
            David Dennis
            Jordan Watson
            Patrick Robinson (newest recruit)
            Dan Monteroso
            Indiana Faithful
            Shawn Dyer
            Jeff Yunetz

IUP Big, has IUP had a commensurate amount of lefties also? Just curious...

Comment

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
              I posted this before, and I'm only using anecdotal evidence, but I think WL has had a higher than average percentage of left-handers play for them.

In the last several seasons, they've had these 9 lefties:

Corey Pelle (showing my long term fandom with that one)
              CJ Hester
              David Dennis
              Jordan Watson
              Patrick Robinson (newest recruit)
              Dan Monteroso
              Indiana Faithful
              Shawn Dyer
              Jeff Yunetz

IUP Big, has IUP had a commensurate amount of lefties also? Just curious...
              Other than Dyer I can't think of any in the last 5-6 years.

Comment

Seem to be a middle of the pack sort of conference. Typically they get one team into the NCAA. This is the conference that houses perennial IUP opponent University of Science. Within the conference, Holy Family finished in the middle roughly at .500. Lost to West Chester by 10 and beat Shepherd by 1 in OT this year. He scored 29 vs WCU and 19 vs Shepherd State.

As for spots left, it depends on how many Ben wants. With this cat, we have 11 so the minimum would be one more. If Ben wants 14...three vacancies.
                Holy Family has a mass exodous yearly. Not sure what the deal is there.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  Holy Family has a mass exodous yearly. Not sure what the deal is there.
                  According to his Twitter announcement, it was due to HF's HC leaving.

Comment

According to his Twitter announcement, it was due to HF's HC leaving.
                    Holy Family University is having rapidly deteriorating financial stability, so they changed the duties of men's and women's coaches and asked them to reapply for a major cut in pay.

Higher Ed has mentioned them as a school to watch even though the last financial responsibility composite score gave them a perfect 3.0. Guess it shows how quickly financial landscape is changing as a great score does not guarantee that all is OK, especailly if you are a smaller school in terms of enrollment.

The composite score goes from -1 to 3. If you are under 1.0 then higher ed considers the school not financially responsible (risk of closing).
                    Wheeling Jesuit was 1.5 which was on verge of being monitored by Dept of Ed, even though their debt had recently been paid.

Of the 269 schools under 1.0, 21 are in PA.
                    here is article. If you click on the green Go button it will download Excel file with 3100 colleges and schools in it.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/about/d...mposite-scores

Interestingly enough Harvard is not in perfect shape, as their renowned economist who was leading their endowment (and was being considered for Federal Reserve LOL ) lost $11B!
                    And we want these guys running our country behind the scenes?

Their annual budget is $3B.

Comment

Not that I'm a fan, but, since we read about each others' teams on here year-round, ... what's the current roster breakdown at WL?

From following along on here it seems like a lot of guards. Will there be enough food in the bowl to keep all the dogs happy? I still think he's going to try and land a legit big this summer. I don't think you'll need him next winter as you guys will have too much talent and scoring for anybody else down there to compete, but the time will come.

It does appear to me that Ben is making some minor tweaks to the normal blueprint. The transfers aren't typical 'WL' types in their styles of play.

Looking ahead, I see WL just running rampant next season through the MEC. Concord and Notre Dame lost a ton. Wheeling Jesuit appeared to be making strides but now that process is basically starting over. The KGB team at Wesleyan is always just average at best. Fairmont will have a new identity in the post Jolly and Montgomery era.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                        Holy Family University is having rapidly deteriorating financial stability, so they changed the duties of men's and women's coaches and asked them to reapply for a major cut in pay.

Higher Ed has mentioned them as a school to watch even though the last financial responsibility composite score gave them a perfect 3.0. Guess it shows how quickly financial landscape is changing as a great score does not guarantee that all is OK, especailly if you are a smaller school in terms of enrollment.

The composite score goes from -1 to 3. If you are under 1.0 then higher ed considers the school not financially responsible (risk of closing).
                        Wheeling Jesuit was 1.5 which was on verge of being monitored by Dept of Ed, even though their debt had recently been paid.

Of the 269 schools under 1.0, 21 are in PA.
                        here is article. If you click on the green Go button it will download Excel file with 3100 colleges and schools in it.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/about/d...mposite-scores

Interestingly enough Harvard is not in perfect shape, as their renowned economist who was leading their endowment (and was being considered for Federal Reserve LOL ) lost $11B!
                        And we want these guys running our country behind the scenes?

Their annual budget is $3B.
                        Interesting report but it appears to be limited to private schools. Is there a companion report somewhere that shows public schools?

Some interesting numbers from this list for WV/OH/PA schools:

Schools at 3.0

D&E
                        Seton Hill
                        Cedarville
                        Tiffin
                        Findlay

2.7 to 2.5:

Univ of Charleston
                        Gannon
                        Ashland
                        Walsh
                        WV Wesleyan

2.4 to 2.0:

Franklin
                        Urbana
                        Salem

1.9 to 1.5:

Mercyhurst
                        WJU
                        Malone

1.4 to 0.0 (Schools requiring additional monitoring):

NDC
                        Lake Erie College
                        Alderson Broadus

0.0 to -1.0 (School considered financial irresponsible):

Ohio Valley University

Comment

Not that I'm a fan, but, since we read about each others' teams on here year-round, ... what's the current roster breakdown at WL?

From following along on here it seems like a lot of guards. Will there be enough food in the bowl to keep all the dogs happy? I still think he's going to try and land a legit big this summer. I don't think you'll need him next winter as you guys will have too much talent and scoring for anybody else down there to compete, but the time will come.

It does appear to me that Ben is making some minor tweaks to the normal blueprint. The transfers aren't typical 'WL' types in their styles of play.

Looking ahead, I see WL just running rampant next season through the MEC. Concord and Notre Dame lost a ton. Wheeling Jesuit appeared to be making strides but now that process is basically starting over. The KGB team at Wesleyan is always just average at best. Fairmont will have a new identity in the post Jolly and Montgomery era.

Comment

WLU always has a lot of guards and everyone can shoot. Next year is shaping up to be no different.

This past year among the players that played, we had four listed as Forwards (Meinie, Moore, French and Primmer). As it stands right now, we will have four players on the 19-20 roster that will be listed as Forwards (Moore, Alessandro, Butler and Hazelbaker). Last year we had 15 players on our extended roster with roughly 10 being regular players (30+ games and 10+ MPG). As it stands right now we have 11 players so conceivably, we don't need another. But realistically I see us bring in at least two additional players for a 13 player roster to start the season. At that number, I see a roster breakdown of 5 forwards and 8 guards (3 PG and 5 SG).

But as we discussed earlier, WLU really plays a position less game. Ben seems to be comfortable playing with five guys on the court with a G next to their name...or with a guy with an F next to his name bring the ball up and triggering the offense.

Comment

WLU always has a lot of guards and everyone can shoot. Next year is shaping up to be no different.

This past year among the players that played, we had four listed as Forwards (Meinie, Moore, French and Primmer). As it stands right now, we will have four players on the 19-20 roster that will be listed as Forwards (Moore, Alessandro, Butler and Hazelbaker). Last year we had 15 players on our extended roster with roughly 10 being regular players (30+ games and 10+ MPG). As it stands right now we have 11 players so conceivably, we don't need another. But realistically I see us bring in at least two additional players for a 13 player roster to start the season. At that number, I see a roster breakdown of 5 forwards and 8 guards (3 PG and 5 SG).

But as we discussed earlier, WLU really plays a position less game. Ben seems to be comfortable playing with five guys on the court with a G next to their name...or with a guy with an F next to his name bring the ball up and triggering the offense.
                              Last year was one of the best shooting and best offensive rebounding teams in recent years at Wlu. Hit just under 43% of threes as a team and averaged 1.25 points per possession, both of which are better than any D1 team.

Even though we lost some great shooters, I think Boswell will help fill the gap. If we improve on turnover margin, it could be a very high scoring team.

Comment

Collins from Chapmanville would have been the perfect fit for this system. Tall at 6'8" but can shoot the three's. Probably playing time as a true freshman and the right system for a future of playing in Europe.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X