Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by Sportsnut View Post
    Collins from Chapmanville would have been the perfect fit for this system. Tall at 6'8" but can shoot the three's. Probably playing time as a true freshman and the right system for a future of playing in Europe.
    I don't know ... seems odd this kid isn't signed somewhere yet. Wonder if there's more to the story. D1's ... and particularly lower-level D1's ... salivate over 6'8" shooting guards -- even ones they deem a project of sorts.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      I don't know ... seems odd this kid isn't signed somewhere yet. Wonder if there's more to the story. D1's ... and particularly lower-level D1's ... salivate over 6'8" shooting guards -- even ones they deem a project of sorts.
      I don't know why but he's rail thin right now. Guess that could scare some away. And he apparently is still growing! 6'8" shooting guard a coach can handle...but a rail thin 6'11" shooting guard might be a bridge to far for them. That's a LONG way for the ball to travel between dribbles!!!

Clearly something is scaring all the D1's and even most DII's off this guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
        Last year was one of the best shooting and best offensive rebounding teams in recent years at Wlu. Hit just under 43% of threes as a team and averaged 1.25 points per possession, both of which are better than any D1 team.

Even though we lost some great shooters, I think Boswell will help fill the gap. If we improve on turnover margin, it could be a very high scoring team.
        We are losing 52.3 points from last seasons team. For comparison, last years team lost 52 points from the previous team and that team lost 56.2 points from the year before.

WLU seems to be pretty good with players on the roster stepping up and with finding players to come in and produce. I envision Bolon and Yoakum stepping up production by 5 points per game (25 and 20 respectively), Moore stepping up the same 5 per game to about 14 a game, Boswell will come in at 15 per game, Alessandro at 10 PPG, and Robinson plus which ever of the True Freshmen plays combining for 12-14 PPG.

Comment

• Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
            We are losing 52.3 points from last seasons team. For comparison, last years team lost 52 points from the previous team and that team lost 56.2 points from the year before.

WLU seems to be pretty good with players on the roster stepping up and with finding players to come in and produce. I envision Bolon and Yoakum stepping up production by 5 points per game (25 and 20 respectively), Moore stepping up the same 5 per game to about 14 a game, Boswell will come in at 15 per game, Alessandro at 10 PPG, and Robinson plus which ever of the True Freshmen plays combining for 12-14 PPG.

Comment

• Comment

Very interesting and valid point. Need to think about how to estimate it. Fast breaks occur frequently after steals. Maybe look at games where wl got relatively few steals and the turnover margin was low. Then look at offensive rebounding margin?

Just a thought.

Past wl teams had much higher turnover margins but were not nearly as good at offensive rebounding. So that makes an argument for this team being much improved. From watching games I thought Bolon, Yoakum were very aggressive in crashing the board on a shot.

Comment

I agree with this. I could see all 3 around 20 a game.

Comment

I think Fairmont is going to pick up Travion Horton, the Fairmont Sr. all-state guard that walked on WV last year and saw some action there. I believe he was the player of the year in WV in 2017. Good pickup for them and he will probably replace Jolly.

Comment

• Comment

There are 13 non walkons on the MU roster. So I would tend to agree that he is a walk on is a reasonable guess.
                        Good luck to him. Hope he hits the weights hard.

Oct 28, 2018 MU 113 glenville 108
                        Nov 17, 2018 West Liberty 158 glenville 106
                        Last edited by Columbuseer; 05-08-2019, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                          There are 13 non walkons on the MU roster. So I would tend to agree that he is a walk on is a reasonable guess.
                          Good luck to him. Hope he hits the weights hard.

Oct 28, 2018 MU 113 glenville 108
                          Nov 17, 2018 West Liberty 158 glenville 106
                          Prediction...He will redshirt next year, get minimal playing time the following year and then be in the transfer portal the following year. Doesn't look like Marshal favors big SG's so he will probably be in the SF grouping. He will have three scholarship SF ahead of him and two scholarship SF's in this years incoming class.

I further predict his AAU Team and the on-line "scouting services" will tout him as further proof that they are experts at developing or identifying D1 players. I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't already trumpeting him as a "success" for them!!
                          Last edited by boatcapt; 05-09-2019, 06:48 AM.

Comment

A Chapmanville poster on another high school forum posted that he was a walk-on at Marshall. I think he would have been a good addition to West Liberty. Guess it's next man up!

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                              Prediction...He will redshirt next year, get minimal playing time the following year and then be in the transfer portal the following year. Doesn't look like Marshal favors big SG's so he will probably be in the SF grouping. He will have three scholarship SF ahead of him and two scholarship SF's in this years incoming class.

I further predict his AAU Team and the on-line "scouting services" will tout him as further proof that they are experts at developing or identifying D1 players. I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't already trumpeting him as a "success" for them!!

Comment

You can still practice if you're academically ineligible.

Easy on The Herd ... that's my second alma mater.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X