• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Friend on campus saw him with coach, great get if he comes

Comment

Here is a link to his stats, pretty decent numbers this season should do very well here

http://www.dsuhornets.com/mobile/Vie..._OEM_ID=12900&

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
        Buuuutttt...Within region, I'm guessing you're OK with that?? Hahahaha!!

Could be graduate transfers as Aug points out or it could just be that WJ doesn't restrict its transferring players. Don't officially know how many we are talking about yet, but if it's more than one, it is a bit slimmie on Fairmonts part...even though it's legal.
        Pretty sure they restricted Cedric Harris and made him sit out a year when he came to West Lib.

Comment

Originally posted by Bware2 View Post
          Haha, I think I can confirm these on my own this time, boat.. Met the assistant today, his name is Brook Turson..

And sorry, but it's DeVaughn Mallory.. he's actually on campus today.
          I'm a bit surprised it's Mallory. He was a starter and front line producer for Del St. Teams leading rebounder so he certainly would find a spot at WLU. Funnies stat I've ever seen from a potential WLU recruit...ZERO for ZERO from 3!!!! This cat didn't take even ONE 3 point bomb last year and he averaged 24 minutes per game!!! WOW!!

I think we would all sh!t ourselves of the first play of the first game Mallory ran to the low post, tuned his back to the basket and put his hand in the air for the ball ala Patrick Ewing...Then we'd go into cardiac arrest if they tossed it to him and he backed down and executed a thundering dunk!! Hahahahahaha!!!!!
          Last edited by boatcapt; 04-06-2017, 06:43 AM.

Comment

We've taken a lot of Delaware State transfers in football over the years -- and just another one yesterday.

I posted on the football board I don't know exactly what it is about the place but they have to lead the country in football and basketball transfers on a yearly basis. The campus is a total dump and is treated as (beyond) the red-headed stepchild to UD. They do snag some good athletes. I assume they get a lot of decent last-minute signings on the 'D1' premise. Then they all bolt within 1-2 years.

Did Mallory commit or just visit? Looks like a nice player -- and the polar opposite of a typical WL 'big'. You guys needed to find somebody to deal with Highsmith, etc., next year.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              We've taken a lot of Delaware State transfers in football over the years -- and just another one yesterday.

I posted on the football board I don't know exactly what it is about the place but they have to lead the country in football and basketball transfers on a yearly basis. The campus is a total dump and is treated as (beyond) the red-headed stepchild to UD. They do snag some good athletes. I assume they get a lot of decent last-minute signings on the 'D1' premise. Then they all bolt within 1-2 years.

Did Mallory commit or just visit? Looks like a nice player -- and the polar opposite of a typical WL 'big'. You guys needed to find somebody to deal with Highsmith, etc., next year.

Comment

With 4 people leaving and 4 people coming in including mallory if he does I don't think we have room for anyone else but I really want Smith, unless someone else knows of anymore transfers

Comment

Originally posted by Layton View Post
                  With 4 people leaving and 4 people coming in including mallory if he does I don't think we have room for anyone else but I really want Smith, unless someone else knows of anymore transfers
                  I agree, I think Nick Smith would be a good get...Athletic, good shooter...played in highest classification, and arguably toughest section in West Pa, and averaged 26 / game, and honestly, didn't have much help on his team...good role players, but no one going anywhere....

Comment

There are some rumblings in Pittsburgh that the new Duquesne staff is showing some interest in Nick Smith this week -- no known offer yet, however.

Comment

Mallory is a must get but dang, Smith would more than likely start at PG day one. I don't know if I can trust Brady being the main guy and question marks behind him

Comment

Originally posted by Layton View Post
                        I also wonder if someone else is leaving to get more playing time. That is due to the fact that both Nick Smith and Anderson Keller (6ft 5) had offers from WL. Two different positions IMHO. Keller committed to Lincoln Memorial during the Crutch transition. In Feb, I have heard from people I trust that it is a high priority to sign a big for next year. Austen Yarian (6 ft 8) from St. Ignatius in Cleveland was offered several months ago but committed to Hillsdale in Michignan. He had a lot of Grossenbacher characteristics.

Comment

" ... Smith would more than likely start at PG day one. I don't know if I can trust Brady being the main guy and question marks behind him."

You don't want a true freshman point guard. Nick Smith may have fancy highlight tapes but going from playing Norwin to Fairmont State is a giant, giant leap. Jason Jolley would eat a true freshman for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Freshmen in prominent, starting roles just come with too many headaches.

A lot of you seem pretty down on Brady Arnold taking over the PG? With three years' big-game experience and familiarity with the systems ... just seems odd. Again .. you'd know better than I do but Brady, from what I've seen, seems more than capable of being the starter.

Comment

WLU has typically had a pretty low number of players on its roster compared to other schools. For example WJ lists 20 players on its roster and Fairmont lists 18! WLU usually has between 12 and 15 with 14 on the roster last season. Obviously each school has the same max number of schollys, but WLU could have quite a few additional players on it's roster. With a team that has as many high academic achievers as WLU does, I would assume that many could earn academic scholly's which could leave additional athletic $'s for the ones who aren't quite as academically gifted.

Comment

Well...Dave Dennis started as a true freshman and he did all right, but I do agree, starting a TF as your PG is USUALLY going to be a problem. I like Arnold as the starting PG as long as he plays that position. He is a top notch penetrator and distributor...just what a PG needs to do. As a 3 pt shooter, he's streaky...smoke the bottom of the nets one game and then can't hit the rim the next. He needs to take and make enough outside shots to keep the D honest...but I don't want him as one of my primary 3 ball shooters. If Smith comes to WLU, perfect scenario is to have him be the primary back up to Arnold getting 15 minutes per game...put him in increasing pressure situations and let him learn and grow.

Comment

What is up with WJ having those 20 players or whatever ... freshman walk-on team or something? I've never see an IUP team in the Joe era dress more than 10 players. Ever. And, the last two might as well not even dress.

Dennis, you're correct, extreme rare exception. I've been looking around the KCAC ... sadly haven't seen him yet.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X