Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Very few high schools 'bigs' who land in D2 do much of anything the first year. They generally come in tall and paper thin. The jump to playing against developed players 2-4 years older is gigantic. They need to hit the weights hard and add 'good' weight or else they just get tossed around.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Very few high schools 'bigs' who land in D2 do much of anything the first year. They generally come in tall and paper thin. The jump to playing against developed players 2-4 years older is gigantic. They need to hit the weights hard and add 'good' weight or else they just get tossed around.
      If will can add about 15 lbs this summer it would help. When he is in the open court, the ball is like a part of his body. His head is up ready for a great pass. Very graceful. Real matchup issue for smaller guards. If he is guarding a big down low the shoe is on the other foot.

Comment

What I like from the description:

"Ochoa is a 6-7 leaper who emerged as one of the top low-post prospects in the Toledo area"

When was the last time WLU brought in ANYONE that had a descriptor of "low-post" anywhere in their write-up? Yea, he may be a prospect and not ready for front line duty this season, but make no mistake, he does represent a big change in recruiting for the Toppers 2.0.

Comment

Dennis to Nova now official

Comment

Good for Dennis. Crutch is a class act

Comment

There will be some news later today on Chuckie Humphries. He got his release from Polk State yesterday. We're going to see him soon enough.

Comment

There will be some news later today on Chuckie Humphries. He got his release from Polk State yesterday. We're going to see him soon enough.
                Are you saying we're getting our golden boy back

Comment

No. I'm hearing (not confirming) he's landing in the PSAC West. And, no, not at IUP.

Comment

No. I'm hearing (not confirming) he's landing in the PSAC West. And, no, not at IUP.
                    Oh bummer

Comment

I'll guess Golden Boy Humphries ends up at Cal....

Comment

Originally posted by Layton View Post
                        Oh bummer
                        If his time at Polk is indicative of his future play, he has quite a bit of improving to do before he is impactful...even in the PSAC West.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                          What I like from the description:

"Ochoa is a 6-7 leaper who emerged as one of the top low-post prospects in the Toledo area"

When was the last time WLU brought in ANYONE that had a descriptor of "low-post" anywhere in their write-up? Yea, he may be a prospect and not ready for front line duty this season, but make no mistake, he does represent a big change in recruiting for the Toppers 2.0.

Believe it or not, Bonifant was a low-post player coming out of Hiland.

Comment

He may have been but I don't recall him being presented as such (maybe he was, but I don't remember). My comment was that this is the first WLU recruit that I can recall being presented as a low post player.

If this cat ends up being like Bonifant, I would be one very happy booster!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Penguins87 View Post
                              Believe it or not, Bonifant was a low-post player coming out of Hiland.
                              He may have been a low post player coming out of HS, but he managed to drain 66 3-pters his freshman yr on the Hilltop, at a 55% clip.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
                                He may have been a low post player coming out of HS, but he managed to drain 66 3-pters his freshman yr on the Hilltop, at a 55% clip.
                                In terms of his style of play at WLU, at the beginning of his jr year, he started backing people down inside and scoring in a variety of ways that I had not seen before at WLU. As you said, prior to that at WLU, he was a wing player primarily.
                                When he added that dimension, he became a nightmare to guard because he was no longer just an outside threat. He made have had those moves in HS, I don't know, but he emphasized it more beginning in his junior year. He was incredible inside against Lincoln Memorial and some skilled players in his senior year.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X