Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    We dont know what Howlett's thoughts are on roster size but under Crutch, 14 was pretty tipical. Given that Howlett was the principle recruiter under him, I wouldnt be surprised if 14 is were we sit.
    Guess roster size is not a major concern when so many players deserve minutes. Last year, the depth was at the point of running a hockey like wholesale line up change for SOME games. kept the first team on their toes. If they were not on top of their game at the start, out they would come. Be interesting to see if it changes under Ben.
    Last edited by Columbuseer; 06-19-2017, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
      I find it amusing and a little puzzling that the basketball roster seems to be updated on a weekly basis and with every new addition of a player while the football team still has the 2016 regular season roster that was posted at the begining of last season. Great job by our new SID and "Manager of Athletic Operations" whos job discription includes managing the WLU sports web page. Clearly the new AD has things well in hand.
      Am not close to the situation so sheer speculation. I would guess that a top player leaving the team officially would drive a roster change by the coach, which sends an official message that a slot is open to prospective recruits (Allen commit close to roster change may not have been coincidence).

Given they made several personnel changes, there are probably a whole list of improvements that need to be made. They are probably triaging the list and doing a pareto analysis (80-20 rule). I would think there are probably more pressing items right now than the roster. But if August arrives with no updated football roster, that would be troubling.

Comment

[QUOTE=Columbuseer;2058603]Am not close to the situation so sheer speculation. I would guess that a top player leaving the team officially would drive a roster change by the coach, which sends an official message that a slot is open to prospective recruits (Allen commit close to roster change may not have been coincidence).

Given they made several personnel changes, there are probably a whole list of improvements that need to be made. They are probably triaging the list and doing a pareto analysis (80-20 rule). I would think there are probably more pressing items right now than the roster. But if August arrives with no updated football roster, that would be troubling. [\QUOTE]
        Find it difficult to believe that the football team did not at least have a spring roster and that was not at least published as an update. I would be very concerned if the new AD, SID and Manager of Athletic Operations felt that 80% of their job is done by focusing their efforts on the 20% of their job that encompasses basketball.

Comment

IUP does the complete opposite. The football roster is updated with any 'transaction' while the basketball roster is kept under lock and key.

My guess is the coach makes the call.

IUP still hasn't announced its basketball class. We only know by doing research and leaks.

Previous regimes here kept the football roster locked up.

Small-time stuff that small schools can get away with doing. There's very little media coverage covering the teams in the off-season and in about 99% of our small D2 towns the schools more or less dictate what the newspapers can report anyway. And, in reality, minus this board not many really care anyway.

Once the kids are signed I don't get what the big secret is ... it's not hard to find the info on Twitter in this day and age.

Does your local WL football writer do any off-season stuff on team news like signings, players leaving, etc.?

But, believe me, what gets shared (and when) comes at the direction of the head coaches. They make the most money and call the shots ... Not the SIDs.

You guys have like 9 QBs now. You think some left and they don't want to share?

I always say ... being a D2 actual fan isn't always easy.
          Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 06-19-2017, 06:32 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=boatcapt;2058618]
            Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
            Am not close to the situation so sheer speculation. I would guess that a top player leaving the team officially would drive a roster change by the coach, which sends an official message that a slot is open to prospective recruits (Allen commit close to roster change may not have been coincidence).

Given they made several personnel changes, there are probably a whole list of improvements that need to be made. They are probably triaging the list and doing a pareto analysis (80-20 rule). I would think there are probably more pressing items right now than the roster. But if August arrives with no updated football roster, that would be troubling. [\QUOTE]
            Find it difficult to believe that the football team did not at least have a spring roster and that was not at least published as an update. I would be very concerned if the new AD, SID and Manager of Athletic Operations felt that 80% of their job is done by focusing their efforts on the 20% of their job that encompasses basketball.
            I agree. I hope the 20% are the items that would make the greatest impact on athletic department and school as a whole and not just one sport.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              IUP does the complete opposite. The football roster is updated with any 'transaction' while the basketball roster is kept under lock and key.

My guess is the coach makes the call.

IUP still hasn't announced its basketball class. We only know by doing research and leaks.

Previous regimes here kept the football roster locked up.

Small-time stuff that small schools can get away with doing. There's very little media coverage covering the teams in the off-season and in about 99% of our small D2 towns the schools more or less dictate what the newspapers can report anyway. And, in reality, minus this board not many really care anyway.

Once the kids are signed I don't get what the big secret is ... it's not hard to find the info on Twitter in this day and age.

Does your local WL football writer do any off-season stuff on team news like signings, players leaving, etc.?

But, believe me, what gets shared (and when) comes at the direction of the head coaches. They make the most money and call the shots ... Not the SIDs.

You guys have like 9 QBs now. You think some left and they don't want to share?

I always say ... being a D2 actual fan isn't always easy.
              Good insight as always. The quality of d2 basketball at iup, ship, wju, wlu, and fsu is such that tickets should be hard to get especially at the cheap price. That still perplexes me. I think you have shared the challenges and efforts in the past ti increase attendance. Hope some sid finds the secret sauce for attendance.

Comment

New roster is posted. 14 guys

Comment

Thanks for update. do wlu players play together during summer? Any open gyms or leagues? In d2 what is the general expectation for summer participation? Wondering when transfers have to decide to avoid falling behind.

Comment

In the past several of the better (local) D2 players have participated in the Pittsburgh Pro-Am Summer League. WL had a kid play in it last year along with two from IUP and Dustin Sleva from Shippensburg.

It's primarily made up of Pitt, Duquesne, WVU and Robert Morris players in addition to some D2 players and also former D1 players who are playing overseas.

I haven't heard a whole lot about it this summer yet. They mix and match the players on to 7-8 teams ... actually pretty cool to watch.

As for the actual team playing in a summer league ... I think that is prohibited by the NCAA. At most schools the players stay on campus all summer -- not only to workout but to take classes ... and then take a lighter load during the season. As for the transfers, you'd have to assume most would want to get on campus as fast as possible. I can tell you, as I'm sure you know, good teams aren't built in fall camp. They are made in May-Sept. I would say, while coaches can't call it mandatory, any player not staying for the summer would likely be looked down upon.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Sounds like Clay Guillozet better make up his mind on his next school quickly.

Comment

No WVU- West Lib exhibition this year - WVU is playing Wheeling Jesuit! WVU just released schedule.
                        Anyone know the inside story? I had heard last year that West Lib would play them. WJU should be loaded this year.

Comment

I know Bolon monteroso and Arnold won the 3v3 GDP classic, not really sure what it is though

Comment

Did Tham transfer as was mentioned on here?

WL opens with Cheyney and Seton Hill.

WJ opens against Gannon (at Shepherd).

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                              Did Tham transfer as was mentioned on here?

WL opens with Cheyney and Seton Hill.

WJ opens against Gannon (at Shepherd).
                              Reported on VaPrep Jun 18:

Former Wakefield All-State performer Dominique​ Tham will be transferring to Mount Olive (D-2 in NC).

Note that the linked twitter page is Tham's.

Comment

Originally posted by Layton View Post
                                I know Bolon monteroso and Arnold won the 3v3 GDP classic, not really sure what it is though
                                Don't forget Meinenger who was also on the championship team!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X