Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

I'd love to hear the NCAA garbage reasoning of allowing one to go and the tag along not to go?

Comment

Originally posted by Penguins87 View Post
      Yes
      I am happy Clay is staying. I don't hold it against him, as he is just a freshman. I think he has not touched his potential at WLU.
      Crutch signed another guard out of Mason Ohio at Nova - Two guards now. Be interesting to see where David D. Jr. winds up.
      As much as I liked David's game, I think ultimately Clay will help the team more - great 3 pt shooter, rebounder, finisher. At WLU, a great ( like David) PG is somewhat less critical, given how well all the players handle the ball and pass.
      I look for Bolon to come on strong, who is also a great outside shooter.

Hope David picks nova.

Comment

I think david will end up at niva. I know think clay had nova Fairmont and west lib in his final 3 last year out of high school. The fact they visited a couple places together doesnt mean they were locked to play together. They are both smart kids and will make their own decisions i bet. Unlikely play at same place

Comment

Hopefully not lincoln memorial because if so thats probably a national title contender

Comment

Not sure why everyone on here thinks Dennis is a great PG. Is he good? Yes. Is he great? Not even close imo.

Corey Pelle and Cedric Harris were great. Dennis doesn't even compare to those two.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyHawk98 View Post
              Not sure why everyone on here thinks Dennis is a great PG. Is he good? Yes. Is he great? Not even close imo.

Corey Pelle and Cedric Harris were great. Dennis doesn't even compare to those two.
              Looked like the next great thing his freshman year but degressed probably due to him not wanting to be here but still has the potential to be at the D2 level

Comment

Answer: It's almost May and it is a basketball topic. LOL ... something to talk about, I guess.

Keep in mind he was a true sophomore. He's got two full seasons left before any real comparisons could be made. They all have their moments as freshmen and sophomores. He's awfully good.

I'm sure you could think of lots of players who didn't really start to thrive until their junior year. He's miles ahead of most his age at this level.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyHawk98 View Post

Corey and Cedric were both better their senior year. Better shooters and different type of player
                  I think David was frosh all American. One of 50 players nominated for Bevo Francis award. David has better handles and breaks down defenses with dribble drive which opens up kick out pass for wide open threes for teammates. Few guards could stop him one on one. He made wju Boswell look silly. Crutch said basketball IQ very high for frosh. Imho he is a great but young player. However imho To make 1st team all American like the other wlu players you mentioned, he has to correct shot mechanics and finish more dribble drives - all things you can teach.

Comment

I would take FR Corey Pelle over FR Dennis all day long. Pelle was not only a good offensive player but a great defensive player in our full court press. He was able to penetrate and make some amazing passes.

Comment

Heading into their junior campaigns, I'd take Harris and Pelle over Dennis. Unfortunately, none of these are an option.

Replacing Dennis will be tough but just as with Harris and Pelle before him, WLU found a way to make it happen. In Pelle's case, we replaced him with new to the team Harris and existing player Faulk stepping up...In Harris' case we replaced him with new to the team Faithfull and existing player Hoehn stepping up. Heck...when Faithfull left we were able to replace him with new to the team Dennis and Bonifant stepping up to dish 100+ assists!

Point is that WLU always seems to be able to find a PG to replace a PG that we think is ireplacable. Ever season is different and this may be the year when WLU just can't replace their departed PG but past history says they will do just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                        Heading into their junior campaigns, I'd take Harris and Pelle over Dennis. Unfortunately, none of these are an option.

Replacing Dennis will be tough but just as with Harris and Pelle before him, WLU found a way to make it happen. In Pelle's case, we replaced him with new to the team Harris and existing player Faulk stepping up...In Harris' case we replaced him with new to the team Faithfull and existing player Hoehn stepping up. Heck...when Faithfull left we were able to replace him with new to the team Dennis and Bonifant stepping up to dish 100+ assists!

Point is that WLU always seems to be able to find a PG to replace a PG that we think is ireplacable. Ever season is different and this may be the year when WLU just can't replace their departed PG but past history says they will do just fine.
                        Two words: Keegan Saben
                        Last edited by Penguins87; 04-27-2017, 05:39 PM.

Comment

I agree. I have gotten the impression that the WL style does not rely as much on a great PG, due to the strong fundamental skills of the player allows many players to play PG adequately. A great 3 pt shooter with decent PG skills would more than offset the loss of Dennis (although I would have loved for him to stay).

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                            I agree. I have gotten the impression that the WL style does not rely as much on a great PG, due to the strong fundamental skills of the player allows many players to play PG adequately. A great 3 pt shooter with decent PG skills would more than offset the loss of Dennis (although I would have loved for him to stay).
                            I won't go so far as to say "WLU plays with five PGs" but as a team, they get assists across the board. They do have a "primary distributor" who triggers the offense most of the time and therefore, get's the biggest number of assists but probably any number of WLU players could fill that roll adequately.

Penguin - I think Saben will get every chance to either be the starter or the primary back up to Arnold. He looks like a good one!

Comment

I won't go so far as to say "WLU plays with five PGs" but as a team, they get assists across the board. They do have a "primary distributor" who triggers the offense most of the time and therefore, get's the biggest number of assists but probably any number of WLU players could fill that roll adequately.

Penguin - I think Saben will get every chance to either be the starter or the primary back up to Arnold. He looks like a good one!
                              Keegan was sitting near me at Urbana for the WLU game. He looked physically stronger than typical high school PGs. That could add another dimension to the PG position. Was a polite young man also.

Comment

Fyi will yoakum signed Loi with wlu on 4/25. He is deadly in open court game. Got award for one of top 20 foul shooters in Ohio. Saw him play 3 or 4 times.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X