Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
    I understand the rationale for restrictions. But how real is the risk of losing more than 1 or 2 players? And would those players gave left anyway like Dennis and clay? And if wlu has proven impervious to turnover as noted ( which I agree completely) isn't that an argument that the adverse effect of having no restrictions is overblown at wlu? Seems like a case of that's the way we do it without assessing risk on the part of ADs. Philosophically I support players over program. Would seem to be a differentiator over other schools, like a customer satisfaction guarantee to have no restrictions. In this case the customer is a player.
    I understand what you are saying but you have to understand the coach/programs standpoint. They have expended a lot of effort first recruiting and then instructing and improving the player. The player also has a very unique insight into the strengths and weaknesses of the entire remaining roster and the entire "playbook" of the school they are running from. If I were a coach in WLU's conf or I had WLU on my schedule this coming year, I'd probably be very motivated to bring this player in, even if he was a marginal talent. Fact that we are talking about two starter caliber players is icing on the cake. I'd be surprised if there are any leading programs in the MEC and Atlantic region who didn't at least call them and verify just what the restrictions are.

The what now may have been purely speculation about WLU restricting transfer to NOVA is a different issue. NOVA was a bad program that certainly did not play Crutch's style of basketball. As such, there roster is probably going to undergo a complete shake-up (in fact, 2 players have already left the program). I doubt many of the HS players who were scouted by the previous HC are going to be of much use to Crutch. Being able to cherry pick a couple of high caliber players off his last roster at WLU (Step 1), a couple of HS players that he was going after when he was at WLU(Step 2), plus an assistant coach who played for him at WLU this past season (Step 3) would certainly accelerate the change he's trying to make at NOVA. According to VC, Crutch has offered a scholly to Dennis (Is Guaillozet part of this "package?)...Check step 1. According to Mike White from the Pit Post-Gazzette, Smith has accepted an offer from NOVA - Check step 2. Reported here that WLU player Devin Hoehn will be an assistant coach at NOVA - Check step 3.

Comment

Guillozet and Dennis are a package deal. Dennis is pulling the strings and Clay is along for the ride. It is either Lincoln Memorial or Embry Riddle. Trust me.

As far as this supposedly being about the athletes in regard to restrictions, was it about the athletes - AT ALL - when the coach abruptly left?

Comment

Why are they transferring to begin with if they can't go with crutch and the assistants are staying, to completely random teams with barely any connections, not very well thought out if you ask me

Comment

Embry Riddle is in Daytona Beach. West Liberty is in the outskirts of Wheeling. They don't compare very well. It's also a much better academic school full of Florida gals and great weather.

Lincoln Memorial is also a well-established national program that may play a style better fitting Dennis.

Who knows. They are the only two who could answer the question and they are never going to do so on the record. Maybe he didn't want to be the only black kid on the team. Don't think that isn't a factor with many players.

Comment

yea...that must be it...surprised wlu can even field a basketball team...bad location...few black players...fast paised style that gives the pg cart blanch to create, penetrate and take the open 3 if he has it...

Comment

I didn't say anything about WL's ability to field a team. Somebody asked why he'd leave and look at the two programs mentioned.

There's obviously a reason he rolled out. Only him and his tag along know what that reason is, however. Maybe it's the cafeteria food. None of us message board hacks know.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                Redshirt at the DII level really doesn't exist...although we ALL talk about it as if it does. DII players have 10 semesters of total participation eligibility to play four seasons. Unlike D1's were they have a 5 year eligibility "clock" that starts ticking the second they start college.
                False. Teammate of mine played past the 10 semesters due to a medical redshirt and I believe the Goff kid played on the football team last year past his 10th semester due to a medical redshirt. So if "redshirts" don't exist in D2, how did these happen. Is that what you tell kids who subscribe to your halfa** recruiting service???

Comment

Originally posted by HeavenontheHill View Post
                  False. Teammate of mine played past the 10 semesters due to a medical redshirt and I believe the Goff kid played on the football team last year past his 10th semester due to a medical redshirt. So if "redshirts" don't exist in D2, how did these happen. Is that what you tell kids who subscribe to your halfa** recruiting service???
                  You're talking about a Medical Hardship Waiver, which is something different and is informal called a "medical redshirt." It's only for a player who is injured in his first three games for football (don't know what the limit is in basketball...I think it's 1/4 of the season) during one of his four seasons to the point were he is out for the remainder of the season. In those cases, the school can ask for an additional year/semester of eligibility. The NCAA may or may not approve.

Avery Goff played in 2013, 14, 15 and 16.
                  Last edited by boatcapt; 04-14-2017, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Ten semesters to play 8 semesters (four seasons). If that's not called a 'redshirt year' so be it .... but it's a 'redshirt year' no matter the official name.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                      Ten semesters to play 8 semesters (four seasons). If that's not called a 'redshirt year' so be it .... but it's a 'redshirt year' no matter the official name.
                      Actually...this is where you are wrong. You can get a "Medical Redshirt" and be granted an extra year (or in D2 2 extra semesters) to get you eligibility in. So technically a kid could "Redshirt" and get a "Medical Redshirt" and be in school for 12 semestersto play their 8. This can only be approved by the NCAA and they rarely approve it (although they claim they care about the student-athlete). So it possible...just nearly impossible because of the NCAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Layton View Post
                        Why are they transferring to begin with if they can't go with crutch and the assistants are staying, to completely random teams with barely any connections, not very well thought out if you ask me
                        Dennis was strictly a Crutch guy. He is basically telling Clay what is best for him.

Comment

Yes, I'm aware. Devon Cottrell at IUP just played his "6th year" due to a 'redshirt' as a true freshman and due to the granted 'medical redshirt' last year. Twelve semesters to complete 8 semester seasons.

Compared to 'redshirts' ... 'medical redshirts' are fairly rare but due happen (if NCAA granted).

Comment

Telling Clay what is best for him isn't exactly Dennis giving the new guy a ringing endorsement?

Comment

Dennis seems to have some sketchy traits about him that I would have never guessed

Comment

Its 12 semesters for sure if granted as you said. And what ive heard david and clay are visiting sone of the same places but if they each find a place they like differently itll be separate places. Both like playing together though in the stule of play crutch brought to West lib and i think itll take a school like that with some solids bigs and team chemistry to make a switch. I dont think they are locked at the hip but obviously if you seen any games this year they play well togethet and feed off each other as well. Obviously they both have good judgement as they came to the hilltop not for grand facilites and beaches. I think if they find a place that is financially sound, great admin leadership and support, and a supporting cast of players including good bigs its a done deal or they may each find there own place. Both are smart kids. Its my understanding west lib can not even afford to hire a GA and wheeling jesuit is only paying a head coach going forward. West lib also still does not have a true leading AD if im a young player growing into a man the red flags are growing. You think?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X