Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Ben has been handling the recruiting for the last few years. So he is the point of contact for the recruits. I'm very excited that he got the job.

Comment

Very good news!

Comment

Here's the article from the Wheeling paper's website. Huge turnout at the press conference. Announcement was very well received. The players who weren't in class showed up at the press conference and Monteroso even came up to speak for the team in support of Ben. High energy guy and a very popular choice.

http://www.theintelligencer.net/news...ketball-coach/

Comment

Originally posted by HeavenontheHill View Post
          Ok. All of the conspiracy maniacs can give it a rest. Not going to cite the source but found out that Crutchfield leaving had nothing to do with anything but wanting a new challenge in a location that puts him where he was going to retire to anyway. This has been in the works since just before Christmas on the possibility that the coach at Nova was going to resign or retire. When that happened, the offer was made. Crutchfield owns a house 20 mins from the school. Nothing to do with anyone in the athletic department, nothing to do about being unhappy, nothing to do with the President.
          Sad thing is you have all these people who just can't bring themselves to believe that it was just a matter of timing. HC job at the school where his retirement home is located opened and he took it because it probably wouldn't be there when he would still be interested in coaching.
          Boat hates Waialae, Nut hates Waialae so it must have been Waialae. People don't like Ullom, so it must have been Ullom. Posters need to put personal feelings about people who don't kiss their a** aside and be objective.
          I got a pair of rose colored glasses to sell you...Oh, never mind, you clearly are wearing them. So please do tell, what is the true reason WLU has sucked in football. According to you it's not the quality of the players and it's not the coaching staff. Maybe it's just bad luck...year, after year, after year, after year, after year, after year, after year, after year, after year bad luck???

FYI...The Nova coach announced his pending retirement before the season began. In December, Crutch was the guest speaker at the Wheeling Rotary Club. Here's what he said in that speech, http://www.theintelligencer.net/spor...njoys-his-job/. Wonder what happened I two week period for him to go from "This is the only job I ever want" to leaving one of the most winning programs in modern DII history?
          Last edited by boatcapt; 03-28-2017, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyHawk98 View Post
            Ben has been handling the recruiting for the last few years. So he is the point of contact for the recruits. I'm very excited that he got the job.
            Ben is the best choice and I believe he will be very successful. But I kind of feel sorry for him. He can go 21-7 (.750) the next four years and people will wonder "what happened" to WLU.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
              Ben is the best choice and I believe he will be very successful. But I kind of feel sorry for him. He can go 21-7 (.750) the next four years and people will wonder "what happened" to WLU.
              While not realizing that the rest of the MEC is catching up to West Liberty and has been for the past couple of seasons...
              Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

I got a pair of rose colored glasses to sell you...Oh, never mind, you clearly are wearing them. So please do tell, what is the true reason WLU has sucked in football. According to you it's not the quality of the players and it's not the coaching staff. Maybe it's just bad luck...year, after year, after year, after year, after year, after year, after year, after year, after year bad luck???

FYI...The Nova coach announced his pending retirement before the season began. In December, Crutch was the guest speaker at the Wheeling Rotary Club. Here's what he said in that speech, http://www.theintelligencer.net/spor...njoys-his-job/. Wonder what happened I two week period for him to go from "This is the only job I ever want" to leaving one of the most winning programs in modern DII history?
                I post about basketball, you reply about football. Obsess much??? You clearly didn't listen to Howlett's remarks when he stated that "when I knew he was leaving" - he knew before Crutchfield talked to the athletic department. This wasn't some "I'm pissed off so I am leaving" issue. You are all a bunch of drama queens. Everything has to have some sinister reason. As far as your comments about football, I clearly stated that the players have to execute a game plan. When you miss tackles and drop passes, whose fault is that. You clearly have a personal grudge of some sort with the football coach or coaches.

Comment

I post about basketball, you reply about football. Obsess much??? You clearly didn't listen to Howlett's remarks when he stated that "when I knew he was leaving" - he knew before Crutchfield talked to the athletic department. This wasn't some "I'm pissed off so I am leaving" issue. You are all a bunch of drama queens. Everything has to have some sinister reason. As far as your comments about football, I clearly stated that the players have to execute a game plan. When you miss tackles and drop passes, whose fault is that. You clearly have a personal grudge of some sort with the football coach or coaches.
                  Anyone else vote to just ignore this guy? He obviously knows it all doesn't he?

Comment

I was responding to YOUR comment about what you perceive as my football "hate." That's how football got into this discussion. Maybe you should go back and reread your post. The obsession seems to be with you directed at those that question anything about any WLU athletic program.

As for Ben knowing of Crutch's departure before the "athletic department," that is pretty standard stuff. The first person a good manager will usually tell of his departure is his first line supervisors. That way they can address any rumors that might pop up.

Is WLU's athletic department dysfunctional? Clearly the answer is yes. It has been two years since the previous AD retired. Can you think of a functional athletic department that has gone two years without a full time AD at the helm? For that matter, can you think of any functional athletic department that has Co-Acting AD's? Lack of leadership breads disfunction and the WLU athletic department has not had a leader in close to two years.

Concerning your erroneous observation that I have a "personal grudge" against the football coach. Well, quite obviously you don't have a clue. When Coach W was winning WAY back in 2007-2010, I was probably his biggest booster and often went toe to toe with Shepherd posters who called his success the exclusive result of one great QB. Heck, even through 2013 I said that the decline of WLU's football program was just the result of some bad performances and not indicative of a poor head coach. But as the years and years have passed and WLU has continued to fail to field quality football teams, I've been left to reach the conclusion that the problem is not individual players missing tackles or failing to catch footballs...It's the coaches that recruited them, trained them, and chose to put them in the game. Sorry if you can't see that through your rose colored glasses.
                    Last edited by boatcapt; 03-28-2017, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
                      While not realizing that the rest of the MEC is catching up to West Liberty and has been for the past couple of seasons...
                      Anyone know where Dennis is going? Does signing Nick Smith of North hills pa Become important? FYI Anderson Keller of hibriten nc committed to Lincoln memorial.

Comment

Dennis will make a decision within a few weeks. Signing Smith isn't "important" but it would be huge. Keegan Saben will come in and take over the point next year.

Comment

Found this:

https://www.governmentjobs.com/jobs/...letic-director

According to the announcement, the selected individual is supposed to start July 1. So who's it going to be? Anyone in the know have any idea if any outside candidates applied or are we stuck with Ullom or Waialae. If it's one of them, are they going to continue to be the HC of their respective teams?
                          So now that we have a coach, I guess it's time to loop back and address our long vacant AD position. This announcement closed Feb 28 so presumably there should be a list of applicants for the position and quite probably, applicants have been in for interviews. Anyone have any insight on who may have applied and who the front runners are?

Comment

You don't think Brady would start at PG next year?

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                              Anyone know where Dennis is going? Does signing Nick Smith of North hills pa Become important? FYI Anderson Keller of hibriten nc committed to Lincoln memorial.
                              Smith would be a good, typical WLU get...good all around player that can shoot the lights out and has a very high motor. I'd project Arnold as the likely replacement for Dennis at PG. Arnold was the freshman "find" as the backup PG his freshman year and played well...He was poised to be the starter but Dennis came in the next year and pushed Arnold to the bench as his back-up. Saben will be Arnolds back-up and looks good enough to press him for minutes and perhaps starts if Arnold fails to perform.

Comment

So now that we have a coach, I guess it's time to loop back and address our long vacant AD position. This announcement closed Feb 28 so presumably there should be a list of applicants for the position and quite probably, applicants have been in for interviews. Anyone have any insight on who may have applied and who the front runners are?
                                I know that in addition to Ullom, Herb Minch and Jay DeFruscio have applied.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X