Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    I'd be curious to know who initially steered the conversation from Nova calling Crutchfield as a reference for Fee to Crutchfield being in the mix and eventually getting the job. Just seems strange to me. I'm not sure how I'd feel if a mentor who I listed as a job reference ended up taking the job I was hoping he'd recommend me for. Obviously Fee is ok with it if he's staying on staff. Clearly most WLU player's loyalty to the man runs very deep.
    If you read Fee's profile at Nova, they heap praise on Crutch and WLU and the former HC (who is retiring and not being fires so presumably is involved in the hiring of his replacement) is quoted saying "I've always been an admirer of Coach Crutchfield and the incredible success he has had at West Liberty. We definitely want to tap into Coach Fee's experience at West Liberty." Sounds like the former coach had a bit of a crush on Crutch. But you are right, it is a bit odd...The guy you used as a reference ends up taking the job you wanted! Of course the conversation could have turned to, "We like coach Fee and think he has potential to be a HC in the future, but he is a bit young right now." Just speculating but if that or something similar was said, Crutch might of said, "I know the perfect coach to give him that additional seasoning...ME!" Only two people know how the conversation turned from reference to interview and I doubt either will elaborate even if asked.

I'm not saying Crutch is the perfect coach, but I can only think of one former player that has said anything negative about him. All but him speak of Crutch in the most glowing terms as a coach, leader and friend. I've only actually met him a coupe of times and those were brief encounters so I can't really say.
    Last edited by boatcapt; 03-24-2017, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyHawk98 View Post
      I'd pass on Fee. I think he's a great guy but he isn't ready to be the HC of a top program. He either needs to be an assistant with a winning program or he needs to take over a lesser program than what we have.
      I agree. Still needs some seasoning. Buuuuuttttt...If Howlet turns the job down and follows Crutch to Nova, the Chaminade guys says no thanks, Hawaii is too good to leave and Huffman also says no thanks, Fee is at least from the WLU/Crutch coaching tree. If the goal is to get a coach with attachment to the Crutch WLU success, Fee fills that bill.

I would imagine there are other former Toppers in the coaching ranks but the only other one I could find after a quick Google search was Mike Lamberti who just completed his first year as an assistant at Embry-Riddle. Anyone know of any others?
      Last edited by boatcapt; 03-24-2017, 10:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
        I agree. Still needs some seasoning. Buuuuuttttt...If Howlet turns the job down and follows Crutch to Nova, the Chaminade guys says no thanks, Hawaii is too good to leave and Huffman also says no thanks, Fee is at least from the WLU/Crutch coaching tree. If the goal is to get a coach with attachment to the Crutch WLU success, Fee fills that bill.

I would imagine there are other former Toppers in the coaching ranks but the only other one I could find after a quick Google search was Mike Lamberti who just completed his first year as an assistant at Embry-Riddle. Anyone know of any others?

If West Liberty is actually scouring low level college basketball assistants just to simply find a Crutchfield or West Liberty connection, then that's great news for the MEC and the rest of the Atlantic Region, because that program will most likely go downhill in a hurry.

Hire the best candidate for the job, not just because somebody knows Crutchfield.

West Liberty is a brand name in Division 2 basketball. They'll get a lot of qualified people that want to come coach there. People that are probably much more qualified than former Hilltopper players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
          If West Liberty is actually scouring low level college basketball assistants just to simply find a Crutchfield or West Liberty connection, then that's great news for the MEC and the rest of the Atlantic Region, because that program will most likely go downhill in a hurry.

Hire the best candidate for the job, not just because somebody knows Crutchfield.

West Liberty is a brand name in Division 2 basketball. They'll get a lot of qualified people that want to come coach there. People that are probably much more qualified than former Hilltopper players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          WLU is a unique program. We are not going to be successful playing a "star" based system that seems to be the norm even across DII land. Crutch's system is perfect particular for a place that is difficult to recruit to because it does not rely on recruiting stars or feeding your one or two "big time" players the ball. As has been discussed in numerous articles over the years, Crutch's system is "different" than what almost any other program runs. So if you bring in an outsider, regardless of his credentials, you are almost certain to have a change from the Crutch system to one that is more "traditional"...I.E. Based on getting a couple of big time recruits and a collection of other bit players who's pimary job will be to feed the ball to the stars and get out of their way.

WLU's current team, even without Dennis, is very good. These players came to WLU to play for Crutch and play a very unique style of basketball that has proven to be highly successful. Quite a few of these players are watching who WLU brings in and if he ain't going to continue to play the Crutch style, they will transfer. I've been led to believe there are 4

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
            WLU is a unique program. We are not going to be successful playing a "star" based system that seems to be the norm even across DII land. Crutch's system is perfect particular for a place that is difficult to recruit to because it does not rely on recruiting stars or feeding your one or two "big time" players the ball. As has been discussed in numerous articles over the years, Crutch's system is "different" than what almost any other program runs. So if you bring in an outsider, regardless of his credentials, you are almost certain to have a change from the Crutch system to one that is more "traditional"...I.E. Based on getting a couple of big time recruits and a collection of other bit players who's pimary job will be to feed the ball to the stars and get out of their way.

WLU's current team, even without Dennis, is very good. These players came to WLU to play for Crutch and play a very unique style of basketball that has proven to be highly successful. Quite a few of these players are watching who WLU brings in and if he ain't going to continue to play the Crutch style, they will transfer. I've been led to believe there are 4
            You summarized the reality of west lib basketball perfectly. An apparent added benefit of his system is that the players are also serious students with real majors. 5 years of academic all Americans. Read somewhere their avg Gpa is 3.3. not saying other teams don't have good grades ( don't know), but I admire teams that I know don't perpetuate the hypocrisy of the student athlete that is so prevalent today. We could lose this with another system, like the star based system you mentioned.

Comment

Tim Hausfeld is also at Lake Erie College. Not sure of any others off the top of my head.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyHawk98 View Post
                Tim Hausfeld is also at Lake Erie College. Not sure of any others off the top of my head.
                Ahhhh...yes. I'd pencil Haus in below Fee and above Lamberti. For those interested, here's a thumb nail resume on Coach Haus:

Four year player and two time All WVIAC select under Crutch at WLU
                2013/14 Coached at WLU under Crutch
                2014/15 Coached at Southview HS OH
                2015/16 Coached at DII WV Wesleyan
                2016/17 Coached at DII Lake Erie College

Here's an interesting question...I wonder if any of WLU's top three candidates would be on the Fairmont list??

Comment

New head coach to be named tomorrow at 10 am

Comment

But WHOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Comment

But WHOOOOOOO!!!!!!
                      You have a 50/50 chance of guessing, it'll be Huffman or Howlett but I don't know which

Comment

Come on Layton, you're the main source of information! I'd like to see Ben be named head coach and pick up Hausfeld as an assistant since he is from the Toledo area and coached outside of Cleveland last year so he might have developed some contacts in where we do the majority of recruiting. Plus he is an alum of the Crutch coaching. He and Howlett would be on the same page.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsnut View Post
                          Come on Layton, you're the main source of information! I'd like to see Ben be named head coach and pick up Hausfeld as an assistant since he is from the Toledo area and coached outside of Cleveland last year so he might have developed some contacts in where we do the majority of recruiting. Plus he is an alum of the Crutch coaching. He and Howlett would be on the same page.
                          Thought Corey Pelle was coaching somewhere, may even be HS...may be has no interest...

I would rather have Ben as HC....not sure why I prefer him over Huffman, but I do...

Where does the Assistant who DOESN"T get the HC job end up--Nova SE or WL??? .

Comment

Where does Layton get his info? 🤔

Comment

Originally posted by Penguins87 View Post
                              Where does Layton get his info? 🤔
                              Would you like me to cite Shawn, hate to be getting all this free message board revenue on your behalf
                              Last edited by Layton; 03-27-2017, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Haha ... You'd be amazed how often this site gets credited as 'sources' by numerous media outlets. We don't realize it but this is the single best source for D2 info anywhere. By far.

News is shared on here often days in advance of announcements, etc.

This also isn't the PR machine most small town outlets are for their schools at this level.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X