Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by DownLow55 View Post
    Glass might be half full, half empty, cracked, chipped, crystal, tiffany glass, etc. but the bottom line, and what matters, is this team is 19-1. The record is better at this juncture of the season than 2015-2016 and 2014-2015 teams and the same as the 3 years prior. WL takes everyone's best shot and I really like how this team responds. On to Shepherd.
    W's are what matters and it doesn't matter how you get them as long as you get them. But you got to admit, this years team is a bit different. It's GOOD to have 1 through 11 that can and do step up and have big games on an given night...but it's NOT good that any one or combination of the 1 through 11 are just as prone to throwing up a real stinker. Traditionally, players "are who they are going to be" by this point in the season and are pretty consistent. Except for Monteroso, our 2-11 are very inconsistent.

But...As long as we keep winning, I've got no REAL complaints. Don't care which players are hot on a given night as long as Crutch ID's them quickly enough to get the W!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Layton View Post
      I think Dennis has taken a huge step back for whatever reason I don't really get what happened to him he's not finishing drives to the basket like last year in the few games I've went to or still a good shooter pretty weird to step back after the season he had last year
      Layton, agree with this! I don't know how to post two previous posts to the same here, but I posted this last week...

"I got flagged last week for criticizing Arnold, and he responded last week with a touche to me---4-4 vs ND OH, including 3-3 from 3. I'm sure I'll get flak for this one, too, but Dennis needs to finish better at the rim...Gets in to the paint consistently, but misses an inordinate number of his twisting layups. Also, shoots too many 3's for my liking.."

Comment

Really interesting point that the hilltoppers have a better record at this point in the season than the previous two...I don't think they are as good as last year's team, but the record says otherwise...I'll take it...

I think Shepherd will be a tough game, but WL will prevail, 99-95 or so...

Comment

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
          Layton, agree with this! I don't know how to post two previous posts to the same here, but I posted this last week...

"I got flagged last week for criticizing Arnold, and he responded last week with a touche to me---4-4 vs ND OH, including 3-3 from 3. I'm sure I'll get flak for this one, too, but Dennis needs to finish better at the rim...Gets in to the paint consistently, but misses an inordinate number of his twisting layups. Also, shoots too many 3's for my liking.."
          I was at the WV State game - Here is my view of their strengths:
          1) Sheer defensive intensity - The competition between the 1st 5 and the 2nd 5 is very close; similar to a hockey line, they know they can give 100% for 3-4 minutes and then get a breather. Brady Arnold is the personification of intensity. He makes contributions that you don't see on TV that don't show up on the box score. At least once a game he catches a defender from behind in the open court and taps the ball to a WL player, saving a fast break basket. I likened them in the 2nd half to sharks after blood is dumped into the water - feeding frenzy on turnovers (31) and steals (17).
          2) Half-court defense- Players are sagging down when the ball goes into the coast, effectively making the post player pick up the ball early. This keeps the big men out of foul trouble. They are switching really effectively too.
          3) They are winning when other teams are red-hot shooting. Did not use to happen.
          4) They do not have to live and die by the 3. THey have several finishers who can take it to the basket and get fouled.
          5) Some of the 2nd five are showing new found confidence and aggressiveness in going to the basket. Primmer comes to mind.

More importantly, the sheer will to win seems pervasive across more players.

Shepherd will be a tough game to win. They are very well coached with very athletic players who can break the press and score in the transition game. I saw the first game in person. It was early in the season and WLU did not have their timing down in getting the ball into the gap that is in the center of the zone defense. That issue has been fixed, as they have not been troubled by the zone since.

They have things they can improve upon, but I cannot fault the intensity and their unselfishness. That will keep them in many games.

Comment

Fackin Shepherd. Game tonight was pay per view by Shepherd so not even a web radio broadcast. Just ridiculous and bush league.

Comment

Wth. Is it that way tomorrow against west lib??

Comment

The MEC site showed it as tomorrow (Feb 1)? You keep referring to today?

Comment

Isn't it Ground Hog Day??? Everthing I said last night about Shepherd trying to rob us for $8.00 to watch the game should be applied to TONIGHT!!

Comment

It seems as if we may be getting hot late

Comment

Smooth sailing against Shepherd. WLU claims their 20th W on the season with a 22 point shellacking of the Rams 97-75. Just the game I was hoping for...All the Topper "guns" had productive nights (Monty 18 pts on 7/11 shooting, Dennis 17 on 5/7 with 7 assists, Hoehn 17 pts, Gross 13 pts and 12 boards). Bench played well with Arnold leading the way with 11 pts, Gauz 8 and Smith 7. +40% from the arc as a team.

IF we play consistently like this for the rest of the season and into the tourney, we will be tough to beat.

The upcoming game with Fairmont is huge and will go a long way toward deciding where the Regionals will be played!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                        Smooth sailing against Shepherd. WLU claims their 20th W on the season with a 22 point shellacking of the Rams 97-75. Just the game I was hoping for...All the Topper "guns" had productive nights (Monty 18 pts on 7/11 shooting, Dennis 17 on 5/7 with 7 assists, Hoehn 17 pts, Gross 13 pts and 12 boards). Bench played well with Arnold leading the way with 11 pts, Gauz 8 and Smith 7. +40% from the arc as a team.

IF we play consistently like this for the rest of the season and into the tourney, we will be tough to beat.
                        The upcoming game with Fairmont is huge and will go a long way toward deciding where the Regionals will be played!!!!
                        Good Analysis. Another outcome I liked was a 22 point win when Shepherd committed very few turnovers. WLU has many different options that they can use to win - turnovers, 3 pt shooting, 2 pt shooting and defensive intensity. They are also staying out of serious foul trouble through their help defense in the post.

I watched the end of the WJU - Fairmont State Game on the web.
                        Fairmont State has D1 body types throughout the lineup. I read somewhere that in pre-season Coach of Fairmont State was playing tape of West Lib and pointing out their teamwork. Think the message to his team was if you don't want a repeat of last year where you exited in the first round, play like them.

Big Challenge this year for WLU. But we did have a 7 pt lead late in the game at Fairmont. I still have faith that Fairmont can be relied on for 5-7 knucklehead playground plays a game. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                          Good Analysis. Another outcome I liked was a 22 point win when Shepherd committed very few turnovers. WLU has many different options that they can use to win - turnovers, 3 pt shooting, 2 pt shooting and defensive intensity. They are also staying out of serious foul trouble through their help defense in the post.

I watched the end of the WJU - Fairmont State Game on the web.
                          Fairmont State has D1 body types throughout the lineup. I read somewhere that in pre-season Coach of Fairmont State was playing tape of West Lib and pointing out their teamwork. Think the message to his team was if you don't want a repeat of last year where you exited in the first round, play like them.

Big Challenge this year for WLU. But we did have a 7 pt lead late in the game at Fairmont. I still have faith that Fairmont can be relied on for 5-7 knucklehead playground plays a game. LOL.
                          I say it all the time...Fairmont in the past 3-5 years has been careless with the ball, and turned it over...and not shot great...I think WL beats them Saturday at home...WL really could have won that game at Fairmont, very even statistically if you look at it....

The regional is gonna be great!

Comment

Further thoughts on tomorrow? ?

Comment

Vegas would set this at about FSU -2.5 or so.

I see FSU as the better team all-around but that doesn't always translate to wins. They are also overdue for a loss.

WL shot the three badly in the first meeting and still almost won. The key to beating FSU is getting in to their bench. WL guards need to drive and draw fouls. Get those bigs in early foul trouble and don't try to get into a high-flying contest with them.

Dennis has the athletic ability to drive on them ... just needs to hit the layups. Gross must stay clean. If he gets in foul trouble it will spell doom for WL.

Who guards Jolley is a big factor. He's a dynamite player. Same with Bingaya.

WL is also due for a shoot-the-lights-out type game. Fairmont's athletes make that challenging but nonetheless.

As I recall Monteroso went off in the first game. He won't catch them off guard tonight and you'd assume will be the defensive focus.

If I was betting real money .... I'd take WL plus the 2.5 points. Running the table is pretty rare and that setting tonight should be a big advantage.

Who knows. They may play two more times after this one.

Comment

Goodness let them play .... whistle every 10 seconds.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X