Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Yep. I knew Monteroso would be a stud. He used to hold his own with our guys when he was in high school.

I think he will be even better next year considering he will have an entire year to focus on nothing but basketball.

I'm not saying he will drop 40 every night, but I think its safe to say that he will be our go to guy this season. He is very athletic and has great strength at the D2 level which allows him to take people to the basket and out muscle his defenders.

Comment

I noticed last year and again this year ... Wheeling has like 24 players on its roster. Do they have a freshman team or something?

Comment

Monterosso will continue to be a beast Devin hoehne can only get better clay guillozet was out of his boot for the last week and a half I look for him to return beginning in January 3rd game

Comment

One thing is for sure. Our coaching staff will play with the lineup and this team will continue to get better as the season goes along.

Comment

I think IUP has a tougher non-conference schedule than WVU. Lol ... I see they won by 70 again today. What a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              I think IUP has a tougher non-conference schedule than WVU. Lol ... I see they won by 70 again today. What a joke.
              Also beat the #6 team on their court we are in one of if not the toughest conference we don't need a hard OOC get that out of here

Comment

Hasn't Huggins even dodged playing an exhibition against WL for the past several years?

I get taking a light non-conf schedule but theirs is extreme.

Don't get me wrong I could really care less ... not much of a D1 fan. It would seem boring to me if I was a WV fan but that's just me.

I get it. Jamie Dixon did the same thing forever at Pitt. At least that game starts again next year.
                Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 12-18-2016, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyHawk98 View Post
                  One thing is for sure. Our coaching staff will play with the lineup and this team will continue to get better as the season goes along.
                  Some observations: From watching some of the recent games, some teams are having success playing zone. However, the zone is leaving a big opening in the lane near the foul line. WLU just needs to tweak their set to get the timing right on their player flashing into the gap and then shooting a 10 footer or taking it to the hoop. Sometime the cutter was just a little late getting to the opening to receive the pass. Tailor made for Monterosa, Smith or Devin. They will adjust.

Comment

Originally posted by Layton View Post
                    Picks up commit from will yoakum 6'5 SG from Delaware Ohio http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4882627/will-yoakum
                    Watched Will play at Delaware Hayes on 12/16. Some observations.
                    Smooth. Ball seems like a part of his body. Could play any position on the team, including point guard, better than his teammates. Dublin Scioto had their best and quickest player on him (about 6 ft tall) to deny and harass him. It did not bother him. Every so often he would do an incredible spin move and go past him and another defender and take it to the hoop. Also is at ease shooting after contact or after a shot is contested, ala Monterosa or Smith of WLU. His basketball IQ is much higher than his supporting cast and the offensive system in not conducive to his talents, as it very much a plodding, slowdown offense with little motion or structure. His game is the up and down transition style. So unless you study him carefully, he could easily be under the radar on the court. He can dunk easily off the drive. He is unselfish to a fault. He gives up the ball quickly if there is not an opening (unlike his teammates, who pat the ball 30 ft from the basket or hold it without much purpose). Although I did not see the game on Tuesday Dec 20, He scored 30 of Delaware's 47 points, including 9 in OT to secure a win against Thomas Worthington of Columbus. Maybe the coach told him to take over the game.
                    Great shooter inside and outside. But he will need to hit the weights hard. He is very, thin for 6 ft 5.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                      Watched Will play at Delaware Hayes on 12/16. Some observations.
                      Smooth. Ball seems like a part of his body. Could play any position on the team, including point guard, better than his teammates. Dublin Scioto had their best and quickest player on him (about 6 ft tall) to deny and harass him. It did not bother him. Every so often he would do an incredible spin move and go past him and another defender and take it to the hoop. Also is at ease shooting after contact or after a shot is contested, ala Monterosa or Smith of WLU. His basketball IQ is much higher than his supporting cast and the offensive system in not conducive to his talents, as it very much a plodding, slowdown offense with little motion or structure. His game is the up and down transition style. So unless you study him carefully, he could easily be under the radar on the court. He can dunk easily off the drive. He is unselfish to a fault. He gives up the ball quickly if there is not an opening (unlike his teammates, who pat the ball 30 ft from the basket or hold it without much purpose). Although I did not see the game on Tuesday Dec 20, He scored 30 of Delaware's 47 points, including 9 in OT to secure a win against Thomas Worthington of Columbus. Maybe the coach told him to take over the game.
                      Great shooter inside and outside. But he will need to hit the weights hard. He is very, thin for 6 ft 5.
                      Update:
                      Saw Will Yoakum play against Mount Vernon. Entire team is much improved from the Dublin Scioto game, moving the ball much better. Close game in 1st half. In 3rd quarter, Will quietly scored the first 14 points, getting the ball on the wing and then driving to the basket for contested 2 point or and -1 play. Wound up with 35 of his team's 71 points, but he is not hogging the ball. They won by about 10. A older guy who still plays pickup told me a funny story, where they were choosing up sides at a rec center somewhere and he points to Will who is sitting and watching and says Let me take that guy sitting over there - I need a young guy on my team. Only he knew who he was. Needless to say Will took them to school.
                      He also said he has seen him hit 15 3's in a row in practice.

Comment

Hilltoppers back into action tonite after a long break. Several games tonite i see.

Comment

Charleston's (9-1) upcoming week: Wheeling Jesuit, West Liberty and Fairmont.

Time to see if that 9-1 is for real.

That's just a brutal, brutal week.

Comment

West Liberty beat WV State 100-93.

Lead was pushed out to around 18 points early in the second half. WV State came back to at least make the game entertaining in the last 3-4 minutes.

West Lib had 5 guys score in double figures with Grossenbacher leading the way with 24.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyHawk98 View Post
                              West Liberty beat WV State 100-93.

Lead was pushed out to around 18 points early in the second half. WV State came back to at least make the game entertaining in the last 3-4 minutes.

West Lib had 5 guys score in double figures with Grossenbacher leading the way with 24.

It's been a weird season for the hilltoppers...4th in the country, only loss to #2 Fairmont, but I can't figure out if I'm a "spoiled" fan, who is so used to 20 point wins, and thinks this rendition of the hilltoppers is their least powerful of the past 5 years...or maybe I just figure 10-1 is good, wins are good, and leave it alone...I don't like all the close games, to be honest...I thot WV State would be a 30 pt win...it was 20 late, but ended up close...Someone slap me if I'm "that" spoiled fan, who expects a final 4 every year....

Is this team capable of winning the region?

Comment

Yes, you're spoiled ... 10-1 is 10-1.

From my own observations (if you value that for anything), I'd grade Ship and Fairmont as a tie for No. 1 right now. Ship has, my opinion, the best player in the Region in Sleva and a great outside game. Fairmont has D1 athleticism and size.

The next wave, in no order, would be IUP, WL, Wheeling and Kuztown -- with East Stroud gaining speed fast.

ND needs a big win to vault up to Tier 2.

Tier 3 is a jumbled mess right now.
                                Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 01-04-2017, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X