Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Luckily they're going to play on Sunday and put all this to rest.

I've said for years on here those 'PSU Puke School' games should be banned by the conferences. Total waste of time (and money) for the fans and they don't count anyway. Keep in mind, scheduling Cheyney in non-conference is about the same equivalent although they are 'D2'.
    Doubtful!!

Cheyney was part of something called the "MEC Conference Challenge" (along with WC and Notre Dame). Don't now how this works but I don't think WLU "scheduled" them. I note that WLU referees to it as the "MEC Challenge", Cheyney referred to it as the "MEC/PSAC Conference Challenge", WC referred to it as the "West Liberty Tip-Off Tournament" and Notre Dame doesn't refer to it as anything at all.

Comment

It's official name is the Charles and Lavoo Crutchfield (named after Jim's parents) Classic, to open the season for WLU.

Comment

Im thinking the wilson guy is a person thst shouldnt have an involvement in any decision mking. Obviously that also is a rrsult of his docalled job

Comment

Originally posted by Penguins87 View Post
          It's official name is the Charles and Lavoo Crutchfield (named after Jim's parents) Classic, to open the season for WLU.
          Don't know about that. The MEC Conference challenge seems to be something different. Think WC got the name right (MEC-PSAC Conference Challenge). There was also a MEC-CIAA Conference Challenge that UC and I think Shepherd participated in along with Fayetteville State (??). It certainly is not very formal and not advertised at all.

Comment

FYI - Update on Basketball Awards for WLU Commits

Associated Press divides Ohio updates into Regional "Districts"

1. Keegan Saben - Centerville Oh - Division I AP 2nd Team All District (covers Dayton and Western Ohio)
            2. Marlon Moore - Cleveland Benedictine - Division 2 AP 1st Team All District (covers Cleveland and Northern Ohio)
            3. Will Yoakum - Delaware Hayes - Division I AP 2nd Team All District (covers Columbus and Central Ohio)

Comment

Yoakum's school is the same school that Matt Bingaya of Fairmont went to isn't it? Still be nice to get a true big guy even if they could give us a few minutes a game.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsnut View Post
                Yoakum's school is the same school that Matt Bingaya of Fairmont went to isn't it? Still be nice to get a true big guy even if they could give us a few minutes a game.
                Yes. Same Team. But somewhat of a different body type, as Will is 6-5 and very slender. Very smooth, good ball handler, passer and quick in the open court game. But may need a year of weight training.
                Saw him play 3 times.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsnut View Post
                  Of the WLU recruits, Marlon Moore best fits the Bingaya body type - 6-5 and 210 lbs. Strong player.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                    Yes. Same Team. But somewhat of a different body type, as Will is 6-5 and very slender. Very smooth, good ball handler, passer and quick in the open court game. But may need a year of weight training.
                    Saw him play 3 times.
                    While all three can play, I'm particularly interested in seeing Moore. Long armed 6'5", 210 and seems to be willing to play inside. According to Cleveland.com, he held offers from both Fairmont and WJ.

Yokum certainly is reed thin at 175! But he also is quick. 6'6" and again, long arms.

Saben is your typical WLU point guard...equally adept at penetrate and dish or pulling up and nocking down 3's with a stroke like butter.

If I had to pick one who would be this next years version of Guillozet (who was this years version of Dennis...who was that years version of Arnold...), i'd go with Moore. I think he's more ready and fills a position were we seem to always be thin. Yokum does need to hit the weights...AND make a few extra trips through the desert line!!!!
                    "Will...calories are your FRIEND!!!"

Anyone have any word on French? We shure need him to live up to potential. He seemed to find his stroke from 3 the year before last but him minutes were all over the board...he'd go from 12 minutes one game to zero the next to three the next then zero followed by 10. I think we need him to find a way to stay in the game for 10+ and average in the low/mid teens.
                    Last edited by boatcapt; 03-15-2017, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Bah bye crutch

Comment

Well, Hilltopper faithful, our greatest fears are realized....Crutch is leaving...can't bad mouth him at all...He was the king of the hilltop, and made the program what it is today---One of the most recognized D2 basketball programs and perenially a TOP 10 fixture...

Sounds like he needed a change and sounds like lack of leadership in the administration, and wanting a challenge lead him to FL.

As for the transition, I vote for Ben Howlett as Head coach...Not sure why I favor him over Aaron Huffman, but I do...I think if you hire an internal candidate, most, if not all, players stay...if you go outside, then you could lose some players...And being realistic, you lose players anyway, even when there isn't a coaching change...Beau Justice, Marco Columbo, Shawn Dyer, Bubby Goodwin, Torin Wetzel, Nick Brown...the list goes on.... And even if Crutch stayed, you almost have to expect one defection on average anyway...

But make no mistake this is big news, and quite a coup for Nova SE...

Anyone want to speculate on coaching hires?

Do they even consider anyone outside the hilltop? It's a unique program for sure, and if you want to keep the "running hilltopper" brand, you better stay internal...Who makes the decision to hire? Sounds like a quagmire of incompetence at the top...

Comment

Don't discount the money factor. State government is in total disarray here in W.Va. with significant higher education funding cuts forcing every institution - including West Liberty - into huge cutbacks on an annual basis. Athletics funding has major sustained cuts - as it should - along with everything else for the past few years and another enormous cut is looming on the horizon as the legislature fights about the budget in Charleston. We're still in the business of educating leaders for the states surrounding us. :)

Another poster pointed out that several other MEC coaches are testing the waters or have one foot out the door - just like Cal (Pa.) wisely raided Concord for its new coach a year ago. Hard to blame Crutch for heading south to much "greener" ($$$$$) pastures - especially when there's a beach involved. More will follow.

Comment

How much was Crutch making at WL? Any idea the yearly amount from Nova?

Comment

Given the general dysfunction in the WLU athletic department, I have no doubt they will take the easy way out and promote from within. Of course we have two capable assistants so that doesn't necessarily have to end up bad. But thats assuming Crutch doesn't take them with him. Given the dysfunction of the athletic department, could you blame either (or both) for hoping on a non-stop from Pittsburgh to Miami and never look back. Have you SEEN the facilities at Nova?? Makes WLU look like a one A school!

He11, who are we kidding. One of our "Co-Acting Athletic Directors" will probably just hire himself for the job. That way he will be the Head Coach of the mens and women basketball team, the Co-Acting Athletic Director and the color announcer for WLU's football games. And our new President will be just fine with that.

Comment

Originally posted by timbertopper View Post
                                Don't discount the money factor. State government is in total disarray here in W.Va. with significant higher education funding cuts forcing every institution - including West Liberty - into huge cutbacks on an annual basis. Athletics funding has major sustained cuts - as it should - along with everything else for the past few years and another enormous cut is looming on the horizon as the legislature fights about the budget in Charleston. We're still in the business of educating leaders for the states surrounding us. :)

Another poster pointed out that several other MEC coaches are testing the waters or have one foot out the door - just like Cal (Pa.) wisely raided Concord for its new coach a year ago. Hard to blame Crutch for heading south to much "greener" ($$$$$) pastures - especially when there's a beach involved. More will follow.
                                Trust me it is not the money, he's taking a pay cut

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X