Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Looks like West Liberty will get the winner of the Glenville State/UVA-Wise first round game in the MEC Tournament

Comment

I am pretty sure any team's broadcast is slanted to the home team...but if you want to compare, WLU's was yelling to the officials on live TV when the two rivals played the first time for the officials to check the monitors on whether a shot was a 3 that was called a 2 -- the home team broadcast will always know more about their own team and tell the game more from that perspective. Want to listen to some terrible announcing teams check out MLB teams' broadcasts.

The game, as has been said, had no bearing on MEC seeding due to Fairmont's win over Shepherd.

In games of 6-point margin or less the last 2 years, WJ 10-5, but yet they always "find ways to lose close games"

Either way, yesterday was more than a classic. 2 WLU-WJU games and 105 minutes of basketball played decided by a combined 3 points.
      Last edited by pennbraz; 02-26-2017, 07:54 AM.

Comment

My apologies for not thoroughly researching WJ in games played the past two years. They lost close games to FSU and WL this year. It was in answer to 'who do you think will win' .... maybe be a bigger tool bag next time.

It was a big game for regional seeding. For now anyway it would bump Kutztown ahead of WL.
        Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 02-26-2017, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Then I take it one should be more specific to what they are talking about without generalizations. One of the close WJU wins last year was over FSU...but will let the point rest.

Comment

This is a fundimentally flawed WLU team. We are NOT going to win shooting 18% from 3. This team is not designed to win on a consistent basis playing a 2 point game. Just not going to happen. Sure, we can play tough and win early round games with grit and experience, but when the competition gets tough and we need the 3 to win, its just is not going to be there.

This team should consider itself fortunate to get to the semis in the MEC tourney and stands a very real chance of being a first or second round casualty in the NCAA tourney.

Comment

Got the W yesterday. Still didnt shoot great let Glenville hang around...need to attack the zone more and make teams play our way. Will we add to the 5 overtimes in past two games vs wheeling jesuit?? Hope we blow them out and save legs

Comment

After beating Fairmont today, there's no reason we shouldn't be hosting the Atlantic Region tournament.

Here are the most recent regional rankings heading into conference tournament play.

1. Fairmont State 27-1 27-1
                2. Indiana (Pa.) 26-2 26-2
                3. Kutztown 23-2 23-2
                4. WEST LIBERTY 25-3 23-3
                5. Shippensburg 21-3 21-3
                6. Wheeling Jesuit 21-6 21-6
                7. Virginia Union 22-6 20-6
                8. Virginia State 20-6 20-5
                9. Shepherd 18-10 18-10
                10. East Stroudsburg 16-10 16-10

We beat #1 Fairmont today and beat #6 Wheeling Jesuit yesterday.

#2 IUP lost in the conference semifinals.

#3 Kutztown lost to Shippensburg in conference championship.

To me, its either us or Shippensburg, but we were already ranked ahead of Shippensburg for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyHawk98 View Post
                  After beating Fairmont today, there's no reason we shouldn't be hosting the Atlantic Region tournament.

Here are the most recent regional rankings heading into conference tournament play.

1. Fairmont State 27-1 27-1
                  2. Indiana (Pa.) 26-2 26-2
                  3. Kutztown 23-2 23-2
                  4. WEST LIBERTY 25-3 23-3
                  5. Shippensburg 21-3 21-3
                  6. Wheeling Jesuit 21-6 21-6
                  7. Virginia Union 22-6 20-6
                  8. Virginia State 20-6 20-5
                  9. Shepherd 18-10 18-10
                  10. East Stroudsburg 16-10 16-10

We beat #1 Fairmont today and beat #6 Wheeling Jesuit yesterday.

#2 IUP lost in the conference semifinals.

#3 Kutztown lost to Shippensburg in conference championship.

To me, its either us or Shippensburg, but we were already ranked ahead of Shippensburg for a reason.
                  You can't just ignore the rest of the season. Fairmont won the regular season title and WL won the tournament. That's a wash. Split regular season. That's a wash. Fairmont one loss to the 4th ranked team in the Atlantic or WL 2 losses to the 6th and a bad loss to concord. Slight edge fairmont.

Comment

Originally posted by Mjtheman View Post
                    You can't just ignore the rest of the season. Fairmont won the regular season title and WL won the tournament. That's a wash. Split regular season. That's a wash. Fairmont one loss to the 4th ranked team in the Atlantic or WL 2 losses to the 6th and a bad loss to concord. Slight edge fairmont.

So you just throw out head to head? West Liberty beat Fairmont 2/3 times this season.

Everyone uses best 2/3, even elementary school kids when referring to rock paper scissors.

Comment

Originally posted by Mjtheman View Post
                      With two wins against the top-ranked team in the region and a conference tournament championship under their belts, I think West Liberty can make a strong case. Had they not blown that December game in Fairmont, it would be a different story but I still think Fairmont gets to host.

IUP has to really be kicking themselves now. Turns out they would have had a pretty good shot at it after all.

Comment

Originally posted by timbertopper View Post
                        With two wins against the top-ranked team in the region and a conference tournament championship under their belts, I think West Liberty can make a strong case. Had they not blown that December game in Fairmont, it would be a different story but I still think Fairmont gets to host.

IUP has to really be kicking themselves now. Turns out they would have had a pretty good shot at it after all.
                        Did I read correctly that the seating capacity of West Liberty's fieldhouse is 1,200? If so, then if West Lib does get to host the regional, they should consider another venue, maybe Wesbanco Arena in Wheeling or someplace with a larger capacity.

Comment

WL is a good host. Their gym size is fine. The regional doesn't need played in some big venue in front of 10,000 empty seats.

Comment

IUPbigIndians, I agree about not playing in front of 10,000 empty seats. I think Wesbanco Arena seats about 5,500. I am thinking back to last season's regular season game between West Lib and Fairmont which sold out the 4,000 seat Joe Retton Arena at Fairmont State. It would be a shame for a lot of people who might want to go to not be able to because of the seating capacity.

Of course, I am hoping Fairmont will host the regional, and I freely admit my bias.

Comment

Originally posted by fightingfalcon View Post
                              Did I read correctly that the seating capacity of West Liberty's fieldhouse is 1,200? If so, then if West Lib does get to host the regional, they should consider another venue, maybe Wesbanco Arena in Wheeling or someplace with a larger capacity.
                              We have successfully hosted many times. The original seating capacity was 1,200. It seats more than that. It has a capacity of somewhere in the range of 2,500 and is a much nicer facility than what Fairmont has.

Comment

1,200 is what West Liberty's athletics website says the capacity is, so if it's been enlarged, they need to update their website. Even at 2,500, it would not surprise me to see it sold out if West Lib and Fairmont play there.

I do appreciate your giving us updated info on the capacity, FlyHawk.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X