Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

I'd look out for Saben to decommit possibly too but I don't have a definitive answer on that, probably at least one more transfer too

Comment

Originally posted by Layton View Post
      I'd look out for Saben to decommit possibly too but I don't have a definitive answer on that, probably at least one more transfer too
      Like I said earlier, doesn't look like Nova had any inbound freshmen and graduating seniors. What a better way to kick start the change in systems that Crutches hiring probably means than to bring a couple of choice transfers and a couple of "his" recruits?

Comment

Coach leaving is one thing. It happens. It is a business. If he takes the star with him ... that doesn't sit well with me.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          Coach leaving is one thing. It happens. It is a business. If he takes the star with him ... that doesn't sit well with me.
          I'm not surprised at all. I don't think the president or the Co-Acting ADs understand that while the players play at WLU, they play FOR Crutch. I've heard a rumor that at least one rising Senior is seriously considering forgoing his Senior season depending on how this shakes out.

Comment

I think Dennis has the skill set to play D1. My money would go on FT. Lauderdale but who knows. He'd probably start at Pitt next year (in all seriousness). Of course he'd have to redshirt if he moved up.

Comment

I think Dennis has the skill set to play D1. My money would go on FT. Lauderdale but who knows. He'd probably start at Pitt next year (in all seriousness). Of course he'd have to redshirt if he moved up.
              I think he takes a look at the D1 offers and decides what he wants. He's good but I don't think he's big time D1 program starter good. Question will boil down to does he want to be a starter, but not star, at a D1 mid major or a bench player at a big time D1? At Nova he would be THE MAN and a key cog in teaching the Crutch system to the players that stay with their program. From a quality of education standpoint and alumni networking standpoint, Nova is top notch.

Comment

WL is a D2 brand name in basketball. You put a decent salary out there and the applicants will come crawling. There's tons of schools in isolated locations. WL is pretty extreme but nonetheless.

The timing issue, as Boat mentioned, is very important. As I've said, Calhoun is done at Fairmont within days of their season ending. That's a lock.

I can't see Sancomb getting the YSU job but you never know.

At the very least, WL could be competing against Fairmont for applicants should they 'open' the position to the outside world. Staying with a Crutch disciple likely means keeping the WL style of play.

A name nobody has mentioned who might have genuine interest ... Kent McBride. While he did as good as could be done with the mess he inherited at Cal, he also got exposed to playing in front of 'announced' crowds of 250 people in a 6,000 seat arena and was exposed to a season of 'playing in the mud' of PSAC West basketball and its famous 55-52 games. I wouldn't rule him out for any of the potential other MEC jobs.
                Sure you're not just hoping he goes away from the PSAC now that Cal's men are on the cusp of returning to bball legitimacy? McBride likes his situation here. He knew he was inheriting a holy mess, and he wanted the challenge. Be aware...the crowds will come. Fear the Fire. Kent is ours.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                  Found this:

https://www.governmentjobs.com/jobs/...letic-director

According to the announcement, the selected individual is supposed to start July 1. So who's it going to be? Anyone in the know have any idea if any outside candidates applied or are we stuck with Ullom or Waialae. If it's one of them, are they going to continue to be the HC of their respective teams?
                  I would hope neither one of them becomes the AD. Perhaps a fresh voice in the athletic administration is what the school needs.
                  Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Of course not. The PSAC West needs Cal to return.

But ... you can't overlook the fact he played in the WVIAC, coached there in the MEC for years and is from WV.

I couldn't rule him out from being interested ... all I was getting at.

Purely speculation on my part ... just seems like a logical target for MEC schools should more jobs open.

Comment

Im hearing saben's decision will be based on what monteroso and guillozet do. It is also not a surpruse about dennis leaving as that has been floating in the air since last year

Comment

Originally posted by Chevydude89 View Post
                        Im hearing saben's decision will be based on what monteroso and guillozet do. It is also not a surpruse about dennis leaving as that has been floating in the air since last year
                        Has David D. indicated where he is heading? D1?
                        Could you clarify about monte and clay? What have you heard?
                        Is Saben coming if they stay?

Comment

Monteroso isn't going anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Penguins87 View Post
                            Monteroso isn't going anywhere.
                            Difference between going somewhere and playing. What I've heard is a lot of players (three...four???) will be making some decisions on who becomes the HC and how quickly that happens.

You've got to feel a little sorry for whom ever takes over for Crutch. He could come in and win 75% of his games and lose in the regional finals for four years and people would wonder "what happened" at WLU. ONLY way to be considered a success would be to deliver a NC.

Comment

He's playing. He is keeping this team together right now. Key will be hiring Howlett. That serves everyone correctly. Recruits and current players want him. Only one leaving now is Dennis (Nova SE).

Comment

Maybe he (Dennis) will change his mind after things settle down.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X