X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by Bware2 View Post
    Trust me it is not the money, he's taking a pay cut
    We're approaching a year since AD Watson retired. That is just ridiculous and I wouldn't be surprised if that instability didn't play into Crutch's decision.

As I said a couple of months ago, the only logical choice for AD was Crutch. Coach with the highest winning % in college basketball history...respected by everyone who came in contact with him...proven ability in other sports in addition to the one he was most famous for. Seemed like a no brain pick for AD to me. Fact that the President ether couldn't see this or didn't have the stones to make it happen speaks volumes.

Comment

Does Coach Boavair (spelling?) want to come back? He was an assistant under Critchfield and has been the head coach of Chaminade for a few years now.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
        We're approaching a year since AD Watson retired. That is just ridiculous and I wouldn't be surprised if that instability didn't play into Crutch's decision.

As I said a couple of months ago, the only logical choice for AD was Crutch. Coach with the highest winning % in college basketball history...respected by everyone who came in contact with him...proven ability in other sports in addition to the one he was most famous for. Seemed like a no brain pick for AD to me. Fact that the President ether couldn't see this or didn't have the stones to make it happen speaks volumes.
        You are right on boat, It is instability.. Crutch wasn't even asked his opinion on who he thought might take over as the new AD. All started with Huffman stepping down and It got that bad with this cronyism that has started with these two new coach/ADs. Hasnt been the same since Jim Watson left 2 years ago..Crutch would tell you that..

This president has been listening to the wrong people

Comment

Chaminade ... as in Honolulu, Hawaii ... like Paradise, USA. Come back to West Liberty, WV? I guess stranger things could happen.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyHawk98 View Post
            Does Coach Boavair (spelling?) want to come back? He was an assistant under Critchfield and has been the head coach of Chaminade for a few years now.
            Bovaird I believe

Comment

Originally posted by Bware2 View Post
              You are right on boat, It is instability.. Crutch wasn't even asked his opinion on who he thought might take over as the new AD. All started with Huffman stepping down and It got that bad with this cronyism that has started with these two new coach/ADs. Hasnt been the same since Jim Watson left 2 years ago..Crutch would tell you that..

This president has been listening to the wrong people
              Well...the academics got what they wanted when they forced out the pervious President. Got a guy who appears to be in way over his head and either unwilling or unable to make a decision! Does WLU have geographic issues that are going to cause some applicants for the AD and now BB HC jobs to not apply? Sure...but with a national caliber basketball team, they should have been enticing enough to a host of hard charging experienced AD looking to step up and make a name for himself to apply. To the best of my knowledge, the AD position isn't even announced!!!!! Now that AD position looks a bit less attractive knowing that Crutch is gone. And prospective coaches looking to apply for the BB HC position are going to see this disfunction/inability to select a permanent AD and could think twice before applying...particularly if they have a good resume or are in a good position now.

Robin Capehart has to be sitting somewhere laughing.
              Last edited by boatcapt; 03-22-2017, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                Chaminade ... as in Honolulu, Hawaii ... like Paradise, USA. Come back to West Liberty, WV? I guess stranger things could happen.

I have no idea. If he has family in the area then you never know. I just know that he is also a great person, and he has HC experience.

I want Ben Howlett but I'm just throwing out other options in case he doesn't want it.

Comment

WL is a D2 brand name in basketball. You put a decent salary out there and the applicants will come crawling. There's tons of schools in isolated locations. WL is pretty extreme but nonetheless.

The timing issue, as Boat mentioned, is very important. As I've said, Calhoun is done at Fairmont within days of their season ending. That's a lock.

I can't see Sancomb getting the YSU job but you never know.

At the very least, WL could be competing against Fairmont for applicants should they 'open' the position to the outside world. Staying with a Crutch disciple likely means keeping the WL style of play.

A name nobody has mentioned who might have genuine interest ... Kent McBride. While he did as good as could be done with the mess he inherited at Cal, he also got exposed to playing in front of 'announced' crowds of 250 people in a 6,000 seat arena and was exposed to a season of 'playing in the mud' of PSAC West basketball and its famous 55-52 games. I wouldn't rule him out for any of the potential other MEC jobs.

Comment

Appears it's a real circle jerk going on at the Admin level at WL. Mr. Watson being retired over a year and not announcing the position yet to be filled for AD. Why is this, trying to save money, just guessing? Anyway, the one good thing we have now is in jeopardy. Hope Ben Howlett gets the job and another player from the Crutch area gets hired as assistant to keep the same type of play. Probably Ben did most of the recruiting for the present players and he has been the primary recruiter for the last 5 or 6 years.

Comment

He took a pay cut to go there. No assistants going with him, but former player will go as GA.

Comment

Found this:

https://www.governmentjobs.com/jobs/...letic-director

According to the announcement, the selected individual is supposed to start July 1. So who's it going to be? Anyone in the know have any idea if any outside candidates applied or are we stuck with Ullom or Waialae. If it's one of them, are they going to continue to be the HC of their respective teams?

Comment

Bob Bolen, his teams got up and down the floor very well for years at Mt State and put up nice numbers as well as thriving in the post season.

Comment

To throw salt in the wound David Dennis announced he'll be transferring

Comment

This is what WLU let get away through their dysfunction:

http://www.theintelligencer.net/spor...you-dont-know/

Comment

Originally posted by Layton View Post
                                To throw salt in the wound David Dennis announced he'll be transferring
                                That's the name I was fearing.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X