Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

It will be considered a major upset at this point for WL, WJ or FSU to lose to any of the other 9 teams...it can happen, but would be surprised.

Comment

WLU seems to have one head scratching loss to a team they should beat by 20+. Usually takes place in the middle of the year. The result of this game usually caused Crutch to either shorten his bench to 8 players OR go to a platoon system. WLU usually comes out of that game refocused and plays much better down the stretch.

I can understand how this happens. Even though the coaches preach about taking every game seriously, playing 100% all the time and not taking any opponent lightly, we are talking about young players here and when they get to 15-0 or so, they probably start to think they are unbeatable. Takes losing to an inferior team for them to wake-up and realize, hey, maybe coach was RIGHT!! We CAN be beat if we don't take every game seriously!!

Comment

Virginia State is going to be your hosting competiton.

They have one loss but may (likely) not lose again this season.

This is the CIAA's best shot to host in a long time. West Chester won't make it through the East without picking up another loss or two ... possibly today at the 'forgotten about' Shippensburg. The PSAC is deep this year. They'll cannibalize each other.

Wheeling loses today and its hosting chance is gone.
        Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 01-20-2018, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          Virginia State is going to be your hosting competiton.

They have one loss but may (likely) not lose again this season.

This is the CIAA's best shot to host in a long time. West Chester won't make it through the East without picking up another loss or two ... possibly today at the 'forgotten about' Shippensburg. The PSAC is deep this year. They'll cannibalize each other.

Wheeling loses today and its hosting chance is gone.
          VSU also has two quality non-conference wins at IUP and at home over Wheeling Jesuit. Good chance they would be hosting if the regional tipped off today. The conference season is only half-over so there's an awful lot of basketball yet to be played. Even so, Hilltoppers need to keep winning and probably will still need help at the end.

Comment

Woohoo Toppers win 81-78

Comment

Wasn't pretty...seems like WLU/WJ games rarely are...but WLU gutted out a tough W over a very good WJ program in their house. WLU's 3 point shooting woes continued in the first half going 3-12 but warmed up in the second going 8-15. Watson continued with his cold shooting going 0-6 from the field and accounting for 2 points total. Safe to say that right now he is in a full fledge shooting slump. He's going to need to get this worked out quickly as he is too big a part of the offense to go o'fer very often...particularly when WLU has a number of other shooting options that would probably love to get more minutes!!

17-0 and sitting at #1 in the national polls with a largely new starting team and a new rookie HC. Not many would have predicted that before the start of the season! 10 games to go in the regular season including games against WJ, Fairmont and resurgent WV State and Shepherd. Quite the tough stretch run but I like our chances.

Comment

Attended WJU game. attendance over 2700.
                Warmup report: Both teams stayed on court for the full 15 minute warmup period.
                wlu definitely lost the warmup. However, to WJU's credit they did have warmups that involved 3 or 4 players in game passing scenarios and shooting before they started the dunk a thon.

Player handshake report: As with Crutch, Ben shook opposing players' hands, while Danny S. had some assistant do the honors.
                Both teams are very well coached.

Game Notes: WJU was solid against the pressure except for the last 2 minutes of the half and early in the second half. When you have 6ft 7 guys who can handle the ball like HIghsmith and Moseh it is a big advantage.
                The turnovers were about even, 12 for wlu and 10 for WJU. WLU turnovers were due to athletic ability and defense of WJU in half court game, while WJU turnovers were generally due to pressure.

With Moseh, Highsmith and Wilson in the game, WJU was a handfull inside. They could dribble drive from the foul line or base line and were very good in finishing around the rim.
                It was a game of runs, with WLU going up by 8-12, then WJU then whittling it back down, as WLU would hit a cold spell.
                The score was low because WJU defense was very strong, which cause WL to use more of the shot clock before they got a good look. WJU also was deliberate in working the ball for a good shot inside to their big men.

Bolon (6-6 from 3) and Monterosa played key roles although many players contributed. Griffin actually tapped the ball away to Bolon with 12 secs left although Bolon got credit for the steal in the lane of WJU. They did not fold against the relentless comebacks from WJU. I think WLU's superior conditioning played a role, as they made the big men run and the WJU defense started to lose intensity as a result in the second half. however, now that Moseh is back from injury with Highsmith and Wilson, WJU is formidable. He was hurt during some of WJU's close losses.

Overall, it was a very intense game and both teams played at a high level and with respect for each other (see Side note below)

Side Note: With the clock under 3 minutes and WJU down by 8, it was time for WJU's star thespian to perform. After missing a circus shot underneath and WLU started a fast transition, he fell and started writhing and rolling on the floor in extreme pain grabbing his knee. I was concerned that he might have suffered a career-ending injury.
                To my surprise, the refs let the play continue as if nothing had happened. 15-20 seconds elapsed with WLU playing 5 on 4 at the WLU end of the court. Then like a possum awakening who had played dead, the player slowly got up and walked off the floor to the locker room without even a limp. I guess the refs were reminded of the story of "the boy who cried wolf" .
                Of course, on the other hand, maybe I had witnessed a miracle at wju! :-).
                Found out from fans before the game that this player has been a flopper since high school.
                IMHO, he is too good of a player to do bush league stunts like flopping or grabbing an opponents jersey and jerking him toward him and falling down as if he had been run over (which I saw last year against Fairmont). He disrespects the game and himself. He needs to consider that a potential future employer may be in the stands and reflect on the message he is sending.

Comment

• Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                    Attended WJU game. attendance over 2700.
                    Warmup report: Both teams stayed on court for the full 15 minute warmup period.
                    wlu definitely lost the warmup. However, to WJU's credit they did have warmups that involved 3 or 4 players in game passing scenarios and shooting before they started the dunk a thon.

Player handshake report: As with Crutch, Ben shook opposing players' hands, while Danny S. had some assistant do the honors.
                    Both teams are very well coached.

Game Notes: WJU was solid against the pressure except for the last 2 minutes of the half and early in the second half. When you have 6ft 7 guys who can handle the ball like HIghsmith and Moseh it is a big advantage.
                    The turnovers were about even, 12 for wlu and 10 for WJU. WLU turnovers were due to athletic ability and defense of WJU in half court game, while WJU turnovers were generally due to pressure.

With Moseh, Highsmith and Wilson in the game, WJU was a handfull inside. They could dribble drive from the foul line or base line and were very good in finishing around the rim.
                    It was a game of runs, with WLU going up by 8-12, then WJU then whittling it back down, as WLU would hit a cold spell.
                    The score was low because WJU defense was very strong, which cause WL to use more of the shot clock before they got a good look. WJU also was deliberate in working the ball for a good shot inside to their big men.

Bolon (6-6 from 3) and Monterosa played key roles although many players contributed. Griffin actually tapped the ball away to Bolon with 12 secs left although Bolon got credit for the steal in the lane of WJU. They did not fold against the relentless comebacks from WJU. I think WLU's superior conditioning played a role, as they made the big men run and the WJU defense started to lose intensity as a result in the second half. however, now that Moseh is back from injury with Highsmith and Wilson, WJU is formidable. He was hurt during some of WJU's close losses.

Overall, it was a very intense game and both teams played at a high level and with respect for each other (see Side note below)

Side Note: With the clock under 3 minutes and WJU down by 8, it was time for WJU's star thespian to perform. After missing a circus shot underneath and WLU started a fast transition, he fell and started writhing and rolling on the floor in extreme pain grabbing his knee. I was concerned that he might have suffered a career-ending injury.
                    To my surprise, the refs let the play continue as if nothing had happened. 15-20 seconds elapsed with WLU playing 5 on 4 at the WLU end of the court. Then like a possum awakening who had played dead, the player slowly got up and walked off the floor to the locker room without even a limp. I guess the refs were reminded of the story of "the boy who cried wolf" .
                    Of course, on the other hand, maybe I had witnessed a miracle at wju! :-).
                    Found out from fans before the game that this player has been a flopper since high school.
                    IMHO, he is too good of a player to do bush league stunts like flopping or grabbing an opponents jersey and jerking him toward him and falling down as if he had been run over (which I saw last year against Fairmont). He disrespects the game and himself. He needs to consider that a potential future employer may be in the stands and reflect on the message he is sending.
                    Should of gotten a Red Card or at least a Yellow for this! Did the trainer spray some of that magic "fix it" stuff they use in soccer on it? That sh!t is MAGIC! I've seen soccer players with their leg ALMOST torn off, withering on the pitch is abject misery "repaired" within 20 seconds of having "fix it" spray applied by the trainer!!!

Comment

Gotta be Boswell rolling and writhing and gesticulating on the ground....Didn't see the game, but that's my guess...seems like every shot he makes, he pretends it's the NBA finals gamewinner...

Interesting about the disparity in fouls!

Comment

What a game! Another classic in this rivalry, though it wasn't a very smooth free flowing game. It seems like every time Jesuit got it to a one possession game, West Lib hit a big 3. Jesuit has to develop more depth if they are looking to make another deep run come tournament time. I was concerned with that coming into this one and I think fatigued set in down the stretch. I agree with the officiating as mentioned above. It was very inconsistent. I can't stand ticky tack hand checks in the back court, but no calls when guys get hammered at the rim. That was an interesting crew to say the least.

I came away very impressed with Dyer's performance. He played really well! Very heady player. I also really like how Bolon plays. He's a gamer!

Can't wait for round 2!

Comment

Message Board icon Chuckie Humphries now has official offers from Pace and Clarion.

I still think he lands in the PSAC but not at Clarion.

Question for you WJ guys ... what was the story with PG Kenny Lee (Woodland Hills) leaving the program?

Comment

Originally posted by JesuitHoops View Post
                            What a game! Another classic in this rivalry, though it wasn't a very smooth free flowing game. It seems like every time Jesuit got it to a one possession game, West Lib hit a big 3. Jesuit has to develop more depth if they are looking to make another deep run come tournament time. I was concerned with that coming into this one and I think fatigued set in down the stretch. I agree with the officiating as mentioned above. It was very inconsistent. I can't stand ticky tack hand checks in the back court, but no calls when guys get hammered at the rim. That was an interesting crew to say the least.

I came away very impressed with Dyer's performance. He played really well! Very heady player. I also really like how Bolon plays. He's a gamer!

Can't wait for round 2!
                            WJU is formidable. I think they could go deep in the NCAA tourney. I felt they were really strong when Moseh, Highsmith and Wilson were on the floor at the same time when Boswell was out of the game. Very tough inside on offense and defense. Against half-court teams, their lack of depth should be manageable.
                            That #5 has very quick hands. He stripped Jordan Watson a couple of times in the half court game, which i had not seen before. I like his game.

As you said, Dyer was crucial with his very high assist to turnover ratio, as Jordan is in somewhat of a slump shooting and is not letting the game come to him at the PG position. He needs to focus more on the PG duties rather than taking difficult shots in traffic to help the team the most, IMHO. In the past he has played well at PG, so I don't know what has happened. But Ben will fix the situation. I know he was talking at length to Jordan when he came to the bench.

Bolon is a RS frosh, is an excellent student (top 10 in hs class) and is driven to excel and works very hard at his game. I suspect Bolon having Seger Bonifant's number is not a coincidence. He has the potential to be an All-American at some point, IMHO.

Comment

One game but it looks like the shooting slump is over. WLU DESTROYED a pretty good Shepherd squad 115-78. Started the game on a 16-4 run and never looked back taking a 28 point lead into the half time locker room. Closest Shepherd could get in the second half was a brief period of time when they "trimmed" WLU's lead to 21 just before the middle of the period. ELEVEN Toppers hat from 3 to set and NCAA record! Poor Keegan Saben was the only Topper to not hit a bonus bomb last night!!

Next up is a huge game against a very good Fairmont squad at their house!!

Comment

Biggest test of the year for Coach Howlett and the boys coming up on Sunday.

Fairmont has won 32 straight at home and had an 8-game winning streak snapped at WJU last night. I think the Hilltoppers were the last team to beat FSU in Joe's Garage, 84-77, in Feb. 2016.

Falcons should be able to run the table in February against a cushiony-soft schedule but may still need a signature win to guarantee an NCAA bid in case of conference tournament upsets.

West Liberty could all but clinch another MEC championship with a win, giving them a 3-game lead over Fairmont and WJU with just 8 games remaining.

Joint will be jumping and regional TV will be on hand. Can't wait!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X