Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by Sportsnut View Post
    Nice size that is really needed. 6 7", 235 lbs. Should have 4 years since he was red shirted last year unless he is required to sit out next year.
    I think he may have been class of 2016 so he is a rs frosh with 3 years left. He is coming from d1 so he should be immediately eligible.

Comment

• https://bluegoldnews.com/west-virgin...commendations/

Comment

I haven't read the entire article yet so excuse my ignorance. But, from the stats you post:

* What does it define 'playing professionally' as? NBA or rather any level one can be paid to play? If it's the latter, that changes things a bit.

* The D2 and D3 numbers are bogus ... that's kids just not taking the survey seriously. The 48% in D2 implies that half of every D2 roster thinks they are going to play professionally.

I'm just thinking, in a broad scope, of this past season in the entire PSAC. To my knowledge, only two players have signed with agents (Ship's Dustin Sleva and IUP's Anthony Glover).

Comment

I did a rough estimate. There are 347 d1 teams with 13 scholarships or 4511 players.
          60 players are drafted each year into nba in 2 rounds, less 9 foreign players which leaves 51 positions ( in 2017).
          So only 1.13 % of d1 players are drafted into NBA.

There are many foreign leagues but they often have restrictions on number of players who are outside their country. They also play a different style which could exclude some players in d1 who are not fundamentally complete players.

Comment

• Comment

Of the many players invited to nba combine in 2017 ( many of whom were undrafted) only about 3 were under 6-1. So a sincere assessment is if u are under 6-1 u can realistically assume your chances are almost nil of playing in NBA.
              http://www.nbadraft.net/2017-nba-dra...e-measurements

Comment

Possibly the question was worded as "Do you believe you are good enough to play in the NBA?"

Comment

Anybody see the 5'9" commit to West Liberty from Cleveland Heights OH, according to Verbal Commits? Yahel Hill....

Looks good on highlights, but everybody does...it's a position of need bc Arnold is Sr, Sincere Carry decommitted and Watson graduated...Dyer remains, but i like the pick up.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
                    Anybody see the 5'9" commit to West Liberty from Cleveland Heights OH, according to Verbal Commits? Yahel Hill....

Looks good on highlights, but everybody does...it's a position of need bc Arnold is Sr, Sincere Carry decommitted and Watson graduated...Dyer remains, but i like the pick up.
                    Saw him play. Great shooter (inside and outside) and scorer, slasher, great athletic ability. Depending on web site, height varies from 5-9 to 6-0. Prior to senior year had 6-7 D1 offers from MAC level schools. #25 player in Ohio according to some before senior year. 3rd team all district is misleading - he was in a district that was loaded with D1 players who were the main star of their respective teams. He had other stars on his team such as T. Smith (OSU football signee and good physical basketball player).
                    I think West Lib is a perfect fit for him to develop his understanding of the game and channel his great athletic ability so that he avoids the temptation to try to do too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                      Saw him play. Great shooter (inside and outside) and scorer, slasher, great athletic ability. Depending on web site, height varies from 5-9 to 6-0. Prior to senior year had 6-7 D1 offers from MAC level schools. #25 player in Ohio according to some before senior year. 3rd team all district is misleading - he was in a district that was loaded with D1 players who were the main star of their respective teams. He had other stars on his team such as T. Smith (OSU football signee and good physical basketball player).
                      I think West Lib is a perfect fit for him to develop his understanding of the game and channel his great athletic ability so that he avoids the temptation to try to do too much.

What happened to them?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                        What happened to them?
                        Good question about the mechanics of the scholarship "offer" process regardless of the individual involved. Maybe someone close to the general process on both sides can enlighten us. I have no knowledge of any individual case. There was discussion on the Ohio U blog about this specific player, as they had no more scholarships.

The following is speculation on my part.

1. An "offer" is verbal and is non-binding on both sides.
                        2. An "offer" may be conditional; i.e., you are #2 on our list at your position. If we don't sign #1, we are definitely interested in you. Or let's talk after your senior year.
                        3. A player may choose to wait to accept an offer or the school could still continue to issue other offers at the same position.
                        4. Players may get caught in a numbers game. For example, a school decides to take more players at other positions of greater need and defer signing a PG until the next year. So they have no scholarships.
                        5. I would not be surprised if some coaches on the hot seat would hesitate in signing someone who is not 1st team all district or all-state because of fear of the boosters. In fact, I think some marginal coaches are not the best judge of talent and rely too heavily on ratings, height, and awards.

Here are some basics I found about offers:
                        https://www.athleticscholarships.net...larships-offer

Comment

A better article on the inside game of D1 recruiting and offers:
                          Key points:
                          - You can get an offer but the school will not allow you to accept the offer.
                          - Alabama offers 150 kids a year for maybe 25 scholarships.
                          - Offers keep you in the recruiting game with the player but really don't mean anything if the player is not allowed to commit.

- These bogus "offers" mostly consist of certain verbiage such as, "we are offering you a scholarship depending on three main goals being met: keeping your grades up, continuing to get better on the field, and staying out of trouble off the field."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...w-it-all-works

Comment

It's very common for a program to offer 20 players ... say 20 guards ... to fill 3 spots. Often times the first three to sign get the spots. That practice is very common with mid-tier and down programs.

You are correct. An offer is an offer. That's it. It can be pulled at any time -- including the morning of signing day. Verbals are nice and all and get us message board dorks excited, but they don't mean a thing. There's very little loyalty in recruiting -- on both sides. It's not like other schools quit recruiting players even after they've given a verbal. Often times that just intensifies it. Heck, look what you guys just went through with Sincere. He was freaking signed and still bailed.

Coaches also can't put all their eggs in one basket so they often times have to over-offer. Duke or Kentucky probably don't have to play all the games as they pick and choose but the rest ... pretty cut-throat world.

In the days before Twitter ... it was very difficult to track recruiting -- in particular D2 was extremely hard.

Coaches often play the car salesmen games ... here's your offer. If you don't sign it ... it may be gone by tomorrow. Often times they are actually telling the truth. I think this type of recruiting is often done more with the 'damaged goods' type of player. One school in the PSAC is famous for doing such. They don't even bring kids to campus. They'll go to those JUCO Showcases and offer 30 kids -- knowing 4-5 will sign immediately. It has worked as they've had some success but they also have to build a new team every April.

Comment

Offers and commits are non-binding on both parties until the NLI is signed. Each year, quite a few verbal commits back out at the last minute in favor of another program and I'm sure many schools pull their offers in favor of someone they like better.

Once the NLI is signed and accepted, all other schools are suppose to stop all recruiting activity with the player. Unfortunately, schools have figured out any number of ways around that rule. In basketball, one of the primary ways is to work the players AAU coach to get him to let the player know that they would just LOVE to "talk" to him if he could just get out of that pesky little NLI.
                              Last edited by boatcapt; 05-01-2018, 07:44 PM.

Comment

So is this an upgrade or downgrade from Sincere Carry who we lost?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X