• Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Hardy was a giant loss. He's a player.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Hardy was a giant loss. He's a player.
      It doesn't seem like it's going to be as quick a "rebuild" as we thought it would be. Nova has a whole lot of good going for it but the local player pool, while deep, is not really made up of Crutch-type players (HIGH energy, run all game, unselfish and able to take and drain threes from almost anywhere). Sure, you can find a few, but not nearly as many of them as in OH/WV/Western PA. Going to take a few years to build up sufficient Crutch-type players to completely turn the program around. I'd look for a carbon copy of last year this coming season (in the 17 to 20 win range) with their only road to the NCAA Tourney being winning their conference tourney.

Long run, I think Crutch makes them a perennial conf champ/NCAA Tourney team but it is going to take a little while.

But given were Nova came from, the 17-11 record this last season was a HUGE turn around and already ranks as one of Nova's best in their NCAA history.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
        Layton, is this announcement more of a good announcement or a negative announcement for the Hilltoppers/?

Comment

Mike Lamberti replaces Brett Ervin as Assistant Coach at WLU. He spent the last two years as a coach at Embry-Riddle. Story at hilltoppersports.com.
          Brett leaving to "pursue other career opportunities".

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
            Mike Lamberti replaces Brett Ervin as Assistant Coach at WLU. He spent the last two years as a coach at Embry-Riddle. Story at hilltoppersports.com.
            Brett leaving to "pursue other career opportunities".
            I heard the "other opportunities" is as a full assistant back at Lemoyne.

Comment

I had no problem with Ervin...thought he was a good Asst Coach...But I have NO PROBLEM at all with bringing back a high character, good intangibles player, who played on a stud team every year and knows the hilltopper way in Lamberti!

I'd say this is a plus!

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                I heard the "other opportunities" is as a full assistant back at Lemoyne.
                A little digging, Brett Ervin played his senior year at WVW under Beilein, so there is big time familiarity Beliein is head coach at LeMoyne...Can't blame him for the move, really

Comment

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
                  A little digging, Brett Ervin played his senior year at WVW under Beilein, so there is big time familiarity Beliein is head coach at LeMoyne...Can't blame him for the move, really
                  Yep...And he spent his first two years in coaching as a Grad Assistant at Lemoyne under Beilein.

Comment

Yep...And he spent his first two years in coaching as a Grad Assistant at Lemoyne under Beilein.
                    Good career move. beilein is on short list for d1 head coach jobs. They often take assistants with them. Or he might succeed him at lemoyne.
                    After brett came to wlu i noticed that we were much faster on getting the pass out after a defensive rebound and post footwork improved.

I am very impressed with lamberti. High academic iq and basketball iq.

Comment

Was not expecting Lamberti but great hire! I always liked him as a player.

Good guess about Ervin Boat ;)

I was told Belein will be going D1 after next season and is planning to take Ervin with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                        Good career move. beilein is on short list for d1 head coach jobs. They often take assistants with them. Or he might succeed him at lemoyne.
                        After brett came to wlu i noticed that we were much faster on getting the pass out after a defensive rebound and post footwork improved.

I am very impressed with lamberti. High academic iq and basketball iq.
                        Coaches, especially young ones like Ben, can learn new things and ways of doing things from almost any source. Hopefully he will internalize the things that Evans did that produced results that were "better" than what was done before and will continue to use them. Same with Lamberti. He has two years experience doing things a different way. Ben needs to take the things that Lamberti brings in that work better than what we have been doing and incorporate them in the "Howlet Style."

Comment

It was in another thread on this board, but rumor of Preston Boswell to the Hilltop, would be an incredible add.... Watching him, I thought his on court personality was a bit over the top, but I could certainly learn to cheer for it....

My guess is he will follow Sancomb to Cal, but if he's used to being on an elite team, WL trumps Cal's rebuild...

Comment

Mr. Hatfield ... you play for Mr. McCoy now.

Comment

I'd take Boswell if he applied but I wouldn't be "over the moon" about it. Real question I have is would he be our starting PG? If the answer is yes, he would be a very good pick-up...If the answer is no, then I would be less excited. At that point he'd become another shooter in WLU's arsenal. Certainly an upgrade but not necessarily one that pushes us to the next level.

Comment

I'd take Boswell if he applied but I wouldn't be "over the moon" about it. Real question I have is would he be our starting PG? If the answer is yes, he would be a very good pick-up...If the answer is no, then I would be less excited. At that point he'd become another shooter in WLU's arsenal. Certainly an upgrade but not necessarily one that pushes us to the next level.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X