Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Howlett announced a couple new signings. Good-looking PG from Cleveland and a Division I transfer "big" with 3 years left. Says he's still looking for "a couple more pieces."

Link: http://www.hilltoppersports.com/news...to-reload.aspx

Comment

Those two have been known for a long time.

What's the deal with Lock Haven transfer Taraojae Brake? Word was he's down to WL and Le Moyne.

Comment

Originally posted by timbertopper View Post
        Howlett announced a couple new signings. Good-looking PG from Cleveland and a Division I transfer "big" with 3 years left. Says he's still looking for "a couple more pieces."

Link: http://www.hilltoppersports.com/news...to-reload.aspx
        I have been waiting for the official LOI announcement. That is a relief. Yahel Hill is a great player who could make us forget about the situation inSincere Carry (oops did I leave out a space? LOL).

Before the season he was in the conversation for Mr. Basketball in Ohio. His team had other great players (like one guy who is going to OSU for football). He was unselfish and has great vision. Deadly from 3 and slashing inside. Can dunk - may have more hops that Carry. Intelligent student.

Greely on paper reminds me to Grossenbacher. Good 3 pt shooter, high motor.

They both are very sound fundamentally in all areas and possess a strong will to win, which is a prerequisite for WLU.

I would not be surprised that with few remaining openings, WLU is going to "select" rather than "recruit". Wishy washy recruits or those who don't ace the audition might get left at the station.

Comment

Let's bump this thread...it's been two weeks of inactivity...It's the dog days of July...No football yet, and not alot of basketball news...

What's the word on Boz from WJ?? Is he going to Cal or WL?

Will WL win the regular season title again this year? Hard not to pick them...WJ is decimated....Fairmont will be good...Jolly is back... Concord has a stud...

Comment

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
            Let's bump this thread...it's been two weeks of inactivity...It's the dog days of July...No football yet, and not alot of basketball news...

What's the word on Boz from WJ?? Is he going to Cal or WL?

Will WL win the regular season title again this year? Hard not to pick them...WJ is decimated....Fairmont will be good...Jolly is back... Concord has a stud...
            Imho it is the teamwork, fundamentals. pressure and synergy that makes Wlu the favorite- the team is > than the sum of individual parts. I think all 3 new recruits will contribute. Have seen hill and alessandro in person. They have high basketball iqs and are very sound. Hill may be able to hang with jolly. He is very quick.
            Anyone heard where Phil Bledsoe is going who transferred from Marshall?

I think the Wlu style is a better fit for Boswell if he can step up his defensive intensity.

Comment

Bledsoe chose Glenville State...at least that's what I have been told as well as it being on Verbal Commits. Can't figure that one out but whatever.

Boswell has chosen to attend WL this fall. He will practice and travel with the team but will have to sit out this season. His freshman year at Jesuit he struggled defensively until the end of the season. However if you watched many of jesuit's game his soph year he made big improvements and was a very solid defender on a team that is known to be one of the best defensive teams. Of course he will have a year to adjust to and learn WLs defensive style. I think he will be fine on both ends of the court.

Anyway...I know WL will pressure and try to speed up the game but you act as if they were a lockdown defensive team. They routinely gave up quite a few points...or at least it seemed. Either way Boswell to WL is a good fit.
              Last edited by Dirtybird; 07-15-2018, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtybird View Post
                Bledsoe chose Glenville State...at least that's what I have been told as well as it being on Verbal Commits. Can't figure that one out but whatever.

Boswell has chosen to attend WL this fall. He will practice and travel with the team but will have to sit out this season. His freshman year at Jesuit he struggled defensively until the end of the season. However if you watched many of jesuit's game his soph year he made big improvements and was a very solid defender on a team that is known to be one of the best defensive teams. Of course he will have a year to adjust to and learn WLs defensive style. I think he will be fine on both ends of the court.

Anyway...I know WL will pressure and try to speed up the game but you act as if they were a lockdown defensive team. They routinely gave up quite a few points...or at least it seemed. Either way Boswell to WL is a good fit.
                Good info about Boswell.
                I think about defensive intensity differently with the WLU style than with a team who lets the air out of the ball in a physical half court game.
                I think winning margin is a better measure of defensive effectiveness than avg points scored by the opponents.

IMHO one of the objectives of the WLU style is to get more possessions than the opponent and wear them down physically and mentally which affects the opponent's offensive efficiency. They led the nation in turnover margin this year and I think their avg winning margin was 20 points, which are good measures of defensive effectiveness.

This approach requires very high energy, effort and ability to defend in the open court as a result of the trapping, full court press style. Guys have to sprint back hard when the press is broken. But one has to accept some easy layups and dunks.

Some examples of defensive intensity are the numerous times Brady Arnold ran down breakaways from behind and tapped the ball from behind, turning a layup into a turnover. I used to think "don't these opponents watch film? They should have their head on a swivel when they break the press because Brady will be zooming up their backside." Or Monterosa (and others) pressuring Tommy Bole from Concord and making him work very hard to get the ball.

Of course their defensive vulnerability is an unselfish team with a big man inside that requires a double team, coupled with a deadly outside shooter who makes them pay with the kick-out pass. If WLU gets one or two dominant big men who are fundamentally complete who can play their style and can defend inside 1-on-1, look out. Unfortunately, they are scarce at the D2 level.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtybird View Post

Pure speculation but Ot Elmore is now assistant coach at Glenville after playing last year with Bledsoe. Maybe that was a factor.
                  It may be unfounded but in looking at some video clips I wonder if his body type might be better suited to a slightly slower game than the Hilltoppers. But I certainly could be wrong about that as the film clips did not have many representative samples.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                    Good info about Boswell.
                    I think about defensive intensity differently with the WLU style than with a team who lets the air out of the ball in a physical half court game.
                    I think winning margin is a better measure of defensive effectiveness than avg points scored by the opponents.

IMHO one of the objectives of the WLU style is to get more possessions than the opponent and wear them down physically and mentally which affects the opponent's offensive efficiency. They led the nation in turnover margin this year and I think their avg winning margin was 20 points, which are good measures of defensive effectiveness.

This approach requires very high energy, effort and ability to defend in the open court as a result of the trapping, full court press style. Guys have to sprint back hard when the press is broken. But one has to accept some easy layups and dunks.

Some examples of defensive intensity are the numerous times Brady Arnold ran down breakaways from behind and tapped the ball from behind, turning a layup into a turnover. I used to think "don't these opponents watch film? They should have their head on a swivel when they break the press because Brady will be zooming up their backside." Or Monterosa (and others) pressuring Tommy Bole from Concord and making him work very hard to get the ball.

Of course their defensive vulnerability is an unselfish team with a big man inside that requires a double team, coupled with a deadly outside shooter who makes them pay with the kick-out pass. If WLU gets one or two dominant big men who are fundamentally complete who can play their style and can defend inside 1-on-1, look out. Unfortunately, they are scarce at the D2 level.
                    Great observation on defense...The intensity is building and keeping big leads. WLU does this by forcing turnovers and pushing opponents into poor shot selection. WLU often converts those into quick 3's then back to D were they again force a turnover or a missed shot. Far from what people typically talk about in a team that plays "pressure D" (final score 55 to 60). What I've notices about WLU's D is that it initially seems to be designed to wear an opponent out...constantly on the ball handler swatting at the ball and never giving him a moment to breath...constantly looking (or faking) to jump every pass to force the passer to think and be accurate...running at ball handlers from behind forcing them to play every possession at 100%...contesting every shot even if it is a flyer so the shooter is never taking a truly uncontested shot. Then, when the opponent sags a little from fatigue, WLU ramps their D up to the next level to get three consecutive turnovers/bad shot rebounds and turns a 5 point lead into a 14 point one in about 1 minute. Good teams can "gut check" their way through and stabilize the score at a 14 point deficit but rarely can they close the gap back down to 5; average and bad teams can't stabilize and the 14 point lead can bloom to a 20/25 point lead that is stopped only by the half time whistle.

Once WLU has established a 25 point or so lead, they basically start trading points for time pushing defensively only as hard as they need to to maintain their cushion...they push to get the opponent "on the rivets" so to speak but as long as they are maintaining their lead, they don't have to ramp the D up.

They use their D to build a big lead and then use their O to maintain it. They would much rather win a game 110-80 as opposed to winning one 60-50.
                    Last edited by boatcapt; 07-16-2018, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Only in the MEC is giving up 105 points considered pressure defense ... lol.

Somewhere Dustin Sleva fell out of his chair reading these posts.

I agree that stuff works against the peasants when you can vastly out-talent them and keep shooting treys up 40 in the second half. It doesn't work nearly as well when a team can actually punch back.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I agree that stuff works against the peasants when you can vastly out-talent them and keep shooting treys up 40 in the second half. It doesn't work nearly as well when a team can actually punch back.
                        Equally funny when PSAC poster claims teams there play outstanding D when they are playing teams that would struggle to put up 50 even if their opponents got lost on the way to the game!! Hahaha!!!

Comment

Comment

It's July. Hope all you dorks are having a good summer.

I got to OC today. Next 7 nights chasing kids.

Comment

It's July. Hope all you dorks are having a good summer.

I got to OC today. Next 7 nights chasing kids.
                              I miss Thrasher's fries!!!

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                                I miss Thrasher's fries!!!
                                Gotta be worst job in OC. I can't imagine how hot it gets in there..

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X