Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Anytime you pickup a 2nd team all conference 17.5ppg player it's something to be excited about. Boswell gets to the rim and foul line a lot so I think he is viewed more as a scorer than just another shooter.

Comment

That 17.5 ppg came as a true sophomore, too. His best two years are ahead of him.

The only real question is he really 'the guy' or was he a good player but one who highly benefited from Highsmith and Moseh?

Comment

I think at this level every player benefits from having multiple weapons on the floor. As great as Highsmith is, his offensive stats would have been harder to achieve if he was the only legit scorer on the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
          I'd take Boswell if he applied but I wouldn't be "over the moon" about it. Real question I have is would he be our starting PG? If the answer is yes, he would be a very good pick-up...If the answer is no, then I would be less excited. At that point he'd become another shooter in WLU's arsenal. Certainly an upgrade but not necessarily one that pushes us to the next level.
          WL loses Brandon Smith, Monty, and Jordan Watson, and James Griffin from last year's team....all 4 that had played a slasher / #3 / shooting guard type position, and you wouldn't be overly excited about adding a 17 ppg soph guard into that vacancy? That production in this league is great and he'd start day one.

WL fans, imagine for a second, your two guards are Bolon and Boswell for the next two years? That would be nice.

Comment

The MEC wouldn't make him sit out this year?

Comment

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
              WL loses Brandon Smith, Monty, and Jordan Watson, and James Griffin from last year's team....all 4 that had played a slasher / #3 / shooting guard type position, and you wouldn't be overly excited about adding a 17 ppg soph guard into that vacancy? That production in this league is great and he'd start day one.

WL fans, imagine for a second, your two guards are Bolon and Boswell for the next two years? That would be nice.
              Didn't say I wouldn't be excited...just not over the top excited. Did he score 17+ PPG? Yes he did. But he was the second minute getter on the team averaging 35.7 minutes per game. The #2 WLU guy last season was Bolon who averaged 25.3. Take Boswell's points per minute and give him 10.4 fewer minutes per game and he averages 12.3 PPG. That's nothing to sneeze at and as I said, he would be a good addition but not necessarily a season changer.

I also question weather he would be our starting PG. If he does, his impact will be greater...if he's the 2 guard or off the bench player his impact would be lessoned. He'd still be a good pick up and would make WLU better, just not as great an impact as if he were the starting PG.

As for weather Boswell should come to WLU, I think that really depends on were his allegiance lies. If it's to his school, he stays at WJ...if it's to his coach, he goes to Cal...if it's to himself, he goes to WLU. Given the current state of WJ and Cal, if he stays/goes to either of those places, he pretty much guarantees he won't be in the NCAA Tourney and probably will be on roughly 500 teams at best. At WLU he would be on one of the best programs in the nation that will be a front runner for MEC Ttitles, Regional Titles, and have a shot at an NCAA Championship.
              Last edited by boatcapt; 06-29-2018, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post

I think Boz is most dangerous in an open court, transition style, which makes it easy for him to go by his defender with the option to kick out to Bolon for the 3 and go for the and-1 at the rim. He will need to kick his defense up several notches at WLU, which can only help him at the next level (Europe).

I have high hopes for Nate Allen to fill one of the slasher roles. He has a great first step. Just needs to get comfortable in the WLU style and improve his 3 pt shooting % and defense. I also look for great things from Keegan Saben as a slasher too.
                Yahel Hill is a PG and slasher, who is the real deal.
                If we can get one more big who can shoot the 3 and/or slash, it could be a very interesting year.

Comment

He will be missed at WJ. High energy and passionate on the court but very quiet and humble off the court.

Comment

For some unfortunate reason that Brady Arnold couldn't play this year he would be a good replacement.

Comment

Still the question ... can he play this year per transfer rules (in the MEC)?

PSAC (and most D2) require you sit out a year for an inter-conference transfer.

Comment

He probably has to redshirt this year I would think due to transferring within the conference but if not he would probably be in the lineup with Brady...Boswell and Bolon as your 2 and 3. All speculation now...he will have a year to improve and learn the system before anybody really needs to spend too much time thinking about where he may fit in.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                          Still the question ... can he play this year per transfer rules (in the MEC)?

PSAC (and most D2) require you sit out a year for an inter-conference transfer.

Comment

If the coach leaves does that void the sit out requirement?

Comment

If I was WJ .. I'd block him. Grant release but no MEC transfer. Why spoon feed your "shut the hill up" rival.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsnut View Post
                                If the coach leaves does that void the sit out requirement?
                                No

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X