Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Heading to the Hilltop tonight for the opener...Looking forward to a super competitive game, as opposed to year's past where they've opened up with perennial patsy Cheyney, or some version of them. Kutztown and West Chester are tough openers.

Will post my thoughts tomorrow on this year's version tomorrow.

My prediction is that they win the mountain east conference (again), with Fairmont and ND being up there as well.

I think this will be a better pressing team...I see more quickness on this squad...

Comment

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
      Heading to the Hilltop tonight for the opener...Looking forward to a super competitive game, as opposed to year's past where they've opened up with perennial patsy Cheyney, or some version of them. Kutztown and West Chester are tough openers.

Will post my thoughts tomorrow on this year's version tomorrow.

My prediction is that they win the mountain east conference (again), with Fairmont and ND being up there as well.

I think this will be a better pressing team...I see more quickness on this squad...
      We may have to be patient as some of the wlu talented players are young.
      It will be interesting to see how Kutztown manages the press as the coach experienced it several years ago in the regional.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
        We may have to be patient as some of the wlu talented players are young.
        It will be interesting to see how Kutztown manages the press as the coach experienced it several years ago in the regional.
        Everyone (usually fans of other programs) have wanted WLU to schedule harder games. I doubt this is because they are concerned with WLU's preparedness for the playoffs in FIVE months. No, I think they are hoping that WLU would take a few early season losses which would perhaps lower their seeding and give them a better chance of hosting regionals. Guess we'll see if WLU fell for it starting tonight. 0-2 would be a tough hole to dig out of.

Comment

Kutztown was picked 4th in the East (one spot low in my opinion). They have some good guards but not much under the basket. I'd take WL in this one by 15-20. I could see it being a game for 20-25 minutes.

West Chester is much more well-rounded -- the majority back from last season. They have some nice post players and experienced guards.

So, yes, it's a tremendous step up from the typical jabronies usually brought up to the Hilltop this time of year.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
            Kutztown was picked 4th in the East (one spot low in my opinion). They have some good guards but not much under the basket. I'd take WL in this one by 15-20. I could see it being a game for 20-25 minutes.

West Chester is much more well-rounded -- the majority back from last season. They have some nice post players and experienced guards.

So, yes, it's a tremendous step up from the typical jabronies usually brought up to the Hilltop this time of year.
            I'm sure that makes you very happy as we might lose one or both of these games. Of course if we win both and then step through the rest of our in conference schedule like we have in the past, it just about sows up the Regional Tourney.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
              I'm sure that makes you very happy as we might lose one or both of these games. Of course if we win both and then step through the rest of our in conference schedule like we have in the past, it just about sows up the Regional Tourney.
              They won't lose either of them. Not down there, anyway. Concord and VSU are my only concerns. WL may or may not be a concern for us in 5 months as you say. Until then ... combined we have one tourney win in the past two years so there are other things to worry about.

Comment

Save being a dickhead until at least March. Enjoy your season. There hasn't been one negative thing on this board about WL since the Shippensburg game. Not one. From anybody.

Comment

Save being a dickhead until at least March. Enjoy your season. There hasn't been one negative thing on this board about WL since the Shippensburg game. Not one. From anybody.
                  Hummm...I seem to remember a poster coming on and saying WLU and Fairmont would have down years because they replaced their coaches last year and the new ones couldn't possibly be as good as the old ones. Also predicted that the conference as a whole would be down.

Comment

Hummm...I seem to remember a poster coming on and saying WLU and Fairmont would have down years because they replaced their coaches last year and the new ones couldn't possibly be as good as the old ones. Also predicted that the conference as a whole would be down.
                    Was losing by 30+ in Round 1 what Crutch would have done? They were down. IUP choked, too.

Fairmont didn't make the tourney. I'd say they regressed last year, too.

New year, my man. Last year is over.

Nobody cares if power teams win division titles. That's expected. March is the only result that matters.

Comment

Was losing by 30+ in Round 1 what Crutch would have done? They were down. IUP choked, too.

Fairmont didn't make the tourney. I'd say they regressed last year, too.

New year, my man. Last year is over.

Nobody cares if power teams win division titles. That's expected. March is the only result that matters.
                      No. He said they would be down this coming year because of the "new" coaches. I also recall a poster predicting that WLU was destined to join the PSAC when the MEC imploded and that called a transfer from WJ to WLU "Benedict Arnold." Both of those are pretty negative toward WLU and they happened well after the ESU game last year.

WLU did not play to their usual level last year, but I'd hardly say they regressed. They still lost 2 regular season games, won the conference and made the tourney. Not a bad year for a first year HC who was effectively replacing most of the starting lineup.
                      Last edited by boatcapt; 11-09-2018, 03:45 PM.

Comment

No. He said they would be down this coming year because of the "new" coaches. I also recall a poster predicting that WLU was destined to join the PSAC when the MEC imploded and that called a transfer from WJ to WLU "Benedict Arnold." Both of those are pretty negative toward WLU and they happened well after the ESU game last year.

I'll take credit for Benedict Arnold. Lol. Like a Buckeye joining the Wolverines.

What new coaches are you referring to for this upcoming season? WJ? I think we all agree they will be way down.

Comment

I'll take credit for Benedict Arnold. Lol. Like a Buckeye joining the Wolverines.

What new coaches are you referring to for this upcoming season? WJ? I think we all agree they will be way down.
                          Hey...The poster didn't make a lot of sense to me either. He was talking about Howlet and the Fairmont coach having down years this COMING season because they were new and couldn't possible be as good as who they replaced. I reminded him a couple of times that Howlet had done quite well in his first year as a HC replacing Crutch and would probably continue to do so but he was adamant that Howlet would be down starting this coming season and with Howlet's decline, the MEC would follow (leading to further assentation of the PSAC). He was a PSAC poster as I recall. Don't think that cat comes around much anymore.

Comment

Hey...The poster didn't make a lot of sense to me either. He was talking about Howlet and the Fairmont coach having down years this COMING season because they were new and couldn't possible be as good as who they replaced. I reminded him a couple of times that Howlet had done quite well in his first year as a HC replacing Crutch and would probably continue to do so but he was adamant that Howlet would be down starting this coming season and with Howlet's decline, the MEC would follow (leading to further assentation of the PSAC). He was a PSAC poster as I recall. Don't think that cat comes around much anymore.
                            I don't remember that post but they all blend together after awhile.

Enjoy the season. You know it's basketball time when we get to argue !!

I think it's going to be a very strong region this year. Maybe not quite as strong as last year but overall pretty good.

I'm not going to lie ... Concord has me a little nervous. I watched the Fairmont/Concord MEC Tournament game last year. I saw Bolte go for 51 ... he's scary.

I personally have a lot of respect for Ben bringing in Kutztown and WCU. For whatever that's worth.

Comment

This cat comes around still, but I'm not going to constantly respond to how you continuously twist the things that I say; I left middle school several years ago, no need to go back to it. You are hung up on this for some reason, just because I've given my opinions on what will happen. I just recall saying that WL, FS, and WJ won't be what they once were, and that the MEC will be down this season. Pretty simple statement that you've referred to several times.
                              Last edited by PSAC76; 11-09-2018, 08:13 PM.

Comment

• Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X