Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
    Good points. I agree Dennis at pg is not automatic. According to crutch Dennis had a very high basketball iq as a frosh. He knows the system.
    He might have an edge at start of season. Maybe 2 or 3 of the pgs are on the floor at once. White could be sg.
    Crutch plays a very deep bench so no doubt whomever is second or third is going to get minutes...produce and the minutes will continue...don't and they will decline.

While WLU had a couple of players that were listed as forwards, they really all played like guards...just that a couple of them were taller.

Comment

Welcome to the Dog Days of Summer...No NBA to distract us...Nary a juicy rumor for us to latch on....It's about 120 days until hoop practice starts....

May it go fast!!

Comment

Anybody know what caused the shakeup in the SID office at West Liberty?

Long-time SID Matt Watson is out, and former Wheeling paper sports editor Don Clegg is in. Really good hire. Don has been there doing, I assume, the vast majority of the writing/game notes/etc. for years now.

Watson's only qualification to be SID was his father being the AD, so this is a big, positive change (especially if Ullom had a hand in it).

Comment

Anyone know if guillozet is staying at west lib? He was still on roster a week or so ago. I really liked his game.

Comment

[QUOTE=ssidiver;2057030]Anybody know what caused the shakeup in the SID office at West Liberty?

Longtime SID Matt Watson is out, and former Wheeling paper sports editor Don Clegg is in. Really good hire. Don has been there doing, I assume, the vast majority of the writing/game notes/etc. for years now.

Watson's only qualification to be SID was his father being the AD, so this is a big, positive change (especially if Ullom had a hand in it). [\QUOTE]Annnndddd...what exactly was Ullom's qualification to be AD?

Looks like Ullom also created a position called Manager of Athletic Operations and promoted one year Grad Assistant Rex Lancaster into the position. Lancaster will be in charge of game day operations and will also manage the web site, be responsible for game promotion and statistics as well as expanding WLU's social media campaign.
            Last edited by boatcapt; 06-14-2017, 06:30 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=boatcapt;2057646]
              Originally posted by ssidiver View Post
              Anybody know what caused the shakeup in the SID office at West Liberty?

Longtime SID Matt Watson is out, and former Wheeling paper sports editor Don Clegg is in. Really good hire. Don has been there doing, I assume, the vast majority of the writing/game notes/etc. for years now.

Watson's only qualification to be SID was his father being the AD, so this is a big, positive change (especially if Ullom had a hand in it). [\QUOTE]Annnndddd...what exactly was Ullom's qualification to be AD?

Looks like Ullom also created a position called Manager of Athletic Operations and promoted one year Grad Assistant Rex Lancaster into the position. Lancaster will be in charge of game day operations and will also manage the web site, be responsible for game promotion and statistics as well as expanding WLU's social media campaign.
              Hopefully they will now have some people to mop up sweat from the floor with real mops. Basic game day fundamentals were lacking from my personal experience.

Comment

Hopefully they will now have some people to mop up sweat from the floor with real mops. Basic game day fundamentals were lacking from my personal experience.
                That seems to fall under the position description of Rex Lancaster and his staff (does he have a staff??). It will be interesting to see how he performs at doing the little things related to game day operations that we take for granted when they are done right, but are very noticeable when done wrong. Things like having people with mops who are actually paying attention to what's going on in the game (and not texting on their phone), shagging soccer balls that go out of bounds, insuring there is toilet paper in the bathrooms and that the trashcans are emptied before the games AND during the games, insuring appropriate security is at the game and that they are trained on how to respond professionally to unrouly fans, etc, etc, etc. Game day ops is so much more than unlocking the gates to the football field or insuring the lights are on in the ASRC on game day.

Comment

New transfer
                  http://hilltoppersports.com/news/201...-transfer.aspx

Comment

Hearing that Guillozet is not returning to west lib. Visiting Valdosta st where bo justice is but also still potentially to go to the new crutch land even having to sit out a year. Also intereest from D1 wright st and Lincoln memorial offer still out there for him

Comment

Originally posted by Layton View Post
                      Watched high school highlights. Very strong, powerfully built player who can shoot 3 and drive to basket in traffic. Linebacker body with point guard skills. Wlu has needed this kind of player to counter the wju guy or bengaya last year. D1 player of year, and 1st team all state in Ohio in 2014. His family has seen too much tragedy so I am already cheering for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Chevydude89 View Post
                        Hearing that Guillozet is not returning to west lib. Visiting Valdosta st where bo justice is but also still potentially to go to the new crutch land even having to sit out a year. Also intereest from D1 wright st and Lincoln memorial offer still out there for him
                        If I recall correctly clay had very high GPA in high school. He could qualify for academic scholarship. If he plans on grad school, sitting out a year could help him financially. Nova has very strong grad school presence.
                        Sorry to see him go. But from what I see from Nate Allen, he more than fills the gap as he is stronger and is a monterosa type slasher with a bigger, stronger body

Comment

If I recall correctly clay had very high GPA in high school. He could qualify for academic scholarship. If he plans on grad school, sitting out a year could help him financially. Nova has very strong grad school presence.
                          Sorry to see him go. But from what I see from Nate Allen, he more than fills the gap as he is stronger and is a monterosa type slasher with a bigger, stronger body
                          Agree on Nate Allen. Once he gets comfortable in the system--- he should help this years team.

Comment

Originally posted by Chevydude89 View Post
                            Thanks for the info. In the last week, Clay has disappeared from the 2018 WLU roster. I wish him success at his future school.
                            With the new transfer of Nate Allen, we have 14 on the roster. Think another signing is a possibility?

Comment

Thanks for the info. In the last week, Clay has disappeared from the 2018 WLU roster. I wish him success at his future school.
                              With the new transfer of Nate Allen, we have 14 on the roster. Think another signing is a possibility?
                              We dont know what Howlett's thoughts are on roster size but under Crutch, 14 was pretty tipical. Given that Howlett was the principle recruiter under him, I wouldnt be surprised if 14 is were we sit.

Comment

I find it amusing and a little puzzling that the basketball roster seems to be updated on a weekly basis and with every new addition of a player while the football team still has the 2016 regular season roster that was posted at the begining of last season. Great job by our new SID and "Manager of Athletic Operations" whos job discription includes managing the WLU sports web page. Clearly the new AD has things well in hand.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X