Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    Hill will have an opportunity to earn his minutes in preseason practice and in early games. Produce and he will be on the court. WLU shows no aversion to playing and even starting true freshmen over more senior players if they earn it. I'd be more than happy with him as the starting PG because that would mean he beat out two proven performers.
    Good points. That is one of the many things I like about Wlu basketball. Everyone has to earn their minutes every day in practice through hustle and effort and results.

Comment

New commit https://www.hudl.com/v/29nBYH

Comment

Originally posted by Layton View Post
        Thanks for info.
        Wow. Very complete player.deep 3 range, slasher, good ball handling in traffic. good moves around basket. Great understanding of game. Unselfish. 3.96 gpa 1260 sat.

Great addition.

Comment

Saw somebody had a question about NCAA D1/D2/D3 Red shirt Rules

NCAA D1 football now allows a football student to play in 4 games anytime and still be a red-shirt.

NCAA D2 Basketball allows for a freshman qualifier in their first two semesters of college to play in the 3 annual exemptions before the season starts...

NCAA D2 Basketball allows a freshman, sophomore, junior of senior, the opportunity to play in One alumni game, one fundraising activity, or one celebrity sports activity provided the event is exempted from the institution`s maximum number of contests or dates of competition as permitted in the particular sport per Bylaw 17

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
            Don't they start every year at No. 1?

It will be interesting if the coaches vote them No. 1 in the MEC poll ahead of Fairmont State?
            Fairmont was #2 in mec poll by only 1 point to wl!
            The d2 bulletin preseason poll is out. Bellarmine is #1.
            Wl is #6. Nova southeastern is #8 !!

Comment

If you missed it, Coach Howlett was on sportsline last night and said Brady has looked as good as he did before and is definitely playing

Comment

Like hearing that! If he is back 100%, we are a much better team. Solid starting depth at PG and a freshman with serious potential (on paper). WLU always has shooters and we appear to have a couple of Big s that can play within the system. Never know how the "chemistry thing" will turn out but I'm feeling pretty good about our prospects for the coming season.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                  Fairmont was #2 in mec poll by only 1 point to wl!
                  The d2 bulletin preseason poll is out. Bellarmine is #1.
                  Wl is #6. Nova southeastern is #8 !!
                  Not to quibble, but WLU held a whopping TWO point lead in the MEC Coaches Pre Season Poll!!!

Comment

Not to quibble, but WLU held a whopping TWO point lead in the MEC Coaches Pre Season Poll!!!
                    Thanks Boat. I was too lazy to recheck it. The memory is starting to get fuzzy. Getting old is way overrated LOL,

Of the newcomers, who do you think will make the greatest impact or be the greatest surprise?
                    My guess is RS frosh Will Yoakum from Delaware Hayes near Columbus. Saw him play in high school. He is like a gazelle in the open court with the ball being a part of his body as he glides in from the wing to dunk over people. He just needed to put on muscle.

Comment

Thanks Boat. I was too lazy to recheck it. The memory is starting to get fuzzy. Getting old is way overrated LOL,

Of the newcomers, who do you think will make the greatest impact or be the greatest surprise?
                      My guess is RS frosh Will Yoakum from Delaware Hayes near Columbus. Saw him play in high school. He is like a gazelle in the open court with the ball being a part of his body as he glides in from the wing to dunk over people. He just needed to put on muscle.
                      Interesting question...I think Hills could have the biggest impact BUUUTTTT...It depends on how he performs in camp and if WLU has any holes to fill. I kind of see it as unless his camp play demands he get big minutes OR Arnold or Dyer are not playing well (or are injured), we MIGHT be better served redshirting him and letting him compete for the starting PG job with Dyer next year with a year in the Topper system under his belt.

Dark horse in the "most impact" contest is Nick Greely. He will probably be the primary back up "big" so should garner significant playing time. Don't think he'll be a big scorer but if he has the ability to pull down rebounds, block shots and play strong D, he could be every bit as important as a scorer.

Probably just the pre-season kool-aid talking, but I'm starting to get pretty bullish on this coming years Toppers. We don't seem to have any glaring holes like we have the last couple of years. Sure, replacing an All-American and two very productive Seniors is never easy but given what WLU has had to replace seemingly every year for the last few years, that should be relatively easy.

Comment

Interesting question...I think Hills could have the biggest impact BUUUTTTT...It depends on how he performs in camp and if WLU has any holes to fill. I kind of see it as unless his camp play demands he get big minutes OR Arnold or Dyer are not playing well (or are injured), we MIGHT be better served redshirting him and letting him compete for the starting PG job with Dyer next year with a year in the Topper system under his belt.

Dark horse in the "most impact" contest is Nick Greely. He will probably be the primary back up "big" so should garner significant playing time. Don't think he'll be a big scorer but if he has the ability to pull down rebounds, block shots and play strong D, he could be every bit as important as a scorer.

Probably just the pre-season kool-aid talking, but I'm starting to get pretty bullish on this coming years Toppers. We don't seem to have any glaring holes like we have the last couple of years. Sure, replacing an All-American and two very productive Seniors is never easy but given what WLU has had to replace seemingly every year for the last few years, that should be relatively easy.
                        I agree on Hill. Questions I have on Greely are:
                        1. Can he play the uptempo style with the required intensity at his current weight? In D1, post players were not expected to run the floor as hard as WLU.
                        2. Can he defend in the open court outside of the post? Many D1 post guys focus on inside defense primarily.

Comment

I agree on Hill. Questions I have on Greely are:
                          1. Can he play the uptempo style with the required intensity at his current weight? In D1, post players were not expected to run the floor as hard as WLU.
                          2. Can he defend in the open court outside of the post? Many D1 post guys focus on inside defense primarily.
                          THAT is a question for even the most svelte of players!!! I've been told by a number of former players that there are quite a few possible recruits that show up on the Hilltop that watch a practice and about half way through, say, uhhhhh...this ain't for me. and walk off. That's kind of why I'm leary of putting much expectations in freshmen...WLU's offensive and defensive styles are pretty intense and you just can't tell who will be up to the task and who will be overwhelmed.

Both good questions on Greely. But even if he can't do those things for an extended period of time, I can still see a place for him on those nights when the opposing team has a big that is eating our lunch inside. Doesn't happen very often, but it does happen.

Comment

• Comment

I've never seen a WLU practice but I've heard it is rather unorthodox. Not a lot of line drills or half court set play instruction. Players are told how to execute the offense/defense then thrown to the wolves in these no holds bared high intensity "scrimmages." I would imagine that every practice is basically a "tryout" with the "best" players vying to be among the final 10 in the final game. Something like that only works when you have a full team of players that are hungry and effectively equally capable. Almost like throwing a football in the middle of your five linebackers and saying "The starter needs to bring me the ball." Good way to find out who your alpha dog is!!

Comment

FYI
                                Here is attempt to provide link to oct 19 sports line with Howlett.
                                You may have to scroll across to select oct 19 show with brad Howe

Interview about 13:40 from end of show so u have to fast forward after you bring up
                                the oct 19 show

http://wvmetronews.com/channel/sportsline/?jwsource=cl

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X