Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Preseason #1 in the country. Early accolades for your program...

http://mountaineast.org/news/2018/9/...on-honors.aspx

Comment

Preseason polls, particularly for DII, have little to do with knowledgable people doing an objective comparison between teams and is more about what has happened in the past. WLU has a track record of being the #1 ranked team so the knee-jerk is to put them at #1 again. It's nice to hear, but I put almost zero stock in it...Same with the MEC Coaches preseason poll which are basically just the final standings from the previous year...that is unless something major happens like what has happened at WJU this off season.

I know we all like picking who the starters for WLU will be. But WLU is different than most teams in that the starter isn't always the best player. On a traditional team, your five starters are almost always going to be your top five minute eaters. At WLU, that just isn't the case. It is VERY common for a supposed "bench player" to get more minutes that the starter in a given game or even over a series of games. Also, outside of PG, WLU is a pretty position less team with all players having very similar skill sets with what role a player "plays" in a given play more dependent on where he happens to be on the court when the play starts. They are a team of red lego blocks.

Comment

Columbus - I watched some video of this summer league in Cleveland, basically looked like a rec league to me. I'm not saying that there weren't some decent players there, but basically it was a summer league to play in. No doubt that you have to put your time in and work hard, but basically you try to improve your areas of weakness, not necessarily by working against competition that may or may not be that good to play against. Some players need time in the weight room and others needing improvement in agility and explosiveness. From what I'm hearing WLU is a little banged up in camp, hopefully everyone can get healthy before November rolls around.

Comment

Originally posted by CelticCoach View Post
          Columbus - I watched some video of this summer league in Cleveland, basically looked like a rec league to me. I'm not saying that there weren't some decent players there, but basically it was a summer league to play in. No doubt that you have to put your time in and work hard, but basically you try to improve your areas of weakness, not necessarily by working against competition that may or may not be that good to play against. Some players need time in the weight room and others needing improvement in agility and explosiveness. From what I'm hearing WLU is a little banged up in camp, hopefully everyone can get healthy before November rolls around.
          Dalton was trying to play against taller stronger players who wanted to take it to him. I think that will be beneficial to him. But there was high variability in skill level with bottom end being out of shape d3.
          Most teams played aau style with no team defense or team offense. But they were definitely physical.

Hope everyone gets healthy by nov 9.
          West Chester and Kutztown picked to finish 1-2 in Psac east.

Comment

Very challenging games to open with. Not the normal type opening games for WL but I think is a good move to strengthen out of conference schedule.
            Last edited by Dirtybird; 10-03-2018, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtybird View Post
              Very challenging games to open with. Not the normal type opening games for WL but I think is a good move to strengthen out of conference schedule.
              Agree 100%...the bugaboo for WL over the years in piling up 25 and 30 win seasons has been "they don't play anyone out of conf"...that changes now....and not that I agree, but sometimes the NCAA regional goofs put lots of merit on a tough loss...so it doesn't hurt you a ton, if you lose...can't lose all of them though! (IUP last year 1st two games)

I don't like hearing injury stuff...but 5 weeks from 1st game...and hope just minor nicks, sprains, etc..

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtybird View Post
                Coach Driscoll of kutztown knows what to expect. They last met in regional final in 2016. Wlu led 80-47 with 7 minutes left despite shooting poorly from beyond the arc. I am sure he will have them well prepared.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                  Coach Driscoll of kutztown knows what to expect. They last met in regional final in 2016. Wlu led 80-47 with 7 minutes left despite shooting poorly from beyond the arc. I am sure he will have them well prepared.
                  He also saw the Ship game last year. Every year is different.

Basketball aside, how is Brady Arnold doing?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I have heard he is practicing with the team and looking good. Heard he worked out hard during summer.
                    Going to be some tears of joy flowing among fans when he is introduced on nov 9.

Comment

So Sleva plays for Kutztown now??

Comment

I have heard he is practicing with the team and looking good. Heard he worked out hard during summer.
                        Going to be some tears of joy flowing among fans when he is introduced on nov 9.
                        The most important thing is that Arnold returns to full health! But from a WLU basketball prespective, having him back at 100% would be a huge bonus. Would give us a PG rotation of Arnold, former starting PG Dyer as the principle back up with freshman Yahel Hill getting in-game seasoning as the #3 PG and occasional 2 guard.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                          So Sleva plays for Kutztown now??
                          I sure hope not.

Comment

I sure hope not.
                            WLU's coaches watched the Ship v Kutz game from last year so they know how the beat Kutztown.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                              The most important thing is that Arnold returns to full health! But from a WLU basketball prespective, having him back at 100% would be a huge bonus. Would give us a PG rotation of Arnold, former starting PG Dyer as the principle back up with freshman Yahel Hill getting in-game seasoning as the #3 PG and occasional 2 guard.
                              I would not be surprised to see hill get big minutes. Very athletic, skilled, smart player. Broke damon stringers career scoring record at Cleveland heights. They had Solon on the ropes until last 4 minutes of tourney game ( Solon went to d1 finals).

Comment

I would not be surprised to see hill get big minutes. Very athletic, skilled, smart player. Broke damon stringers career scoring record at Cleveland heights. They had Solon on the ropes until last 4 minutes of tourney game ( Solon went to d1 finals).
                                Hill will have an opportunity to earn his minutes in preseason practice and in early games. Produce and he will be on the court. WLU shows no aversion to playing and even starting true freshmen over more senior players if they earn it. I'd be more than happy with him as the starting PG because that would mean he beat out two proven performers.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X