Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Did you not just define disingenous? That is saying something that you don't believe and making it sound like you believe it. Prequisite for being a successful career politician.

Crutch is truly a gentleman and classy guy. He also has great integrity and shows respect for the opponent before and after the game (good sportsmanship). Snarky comments are just not his nature.

IMHO it is not disingenous to say that bad teams can beat WLU and do pose a threat (ala WV Wesleyan last year).

IMHO disingenous would be saying a bottom feeder D2 coach is the next John Wooden.

Or WV State with 5 starters out. Still can't fathom that one.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Or WV State with 5 starters out. Still can't fathom that one.

Comment

Did you not just define disingenous? That is saying something that you don't believe and making it sound like you believe it. Prequisite for being a successful career politician.

Crutch is truly a gentleman and classy guy. He also has great integrity and shows respect for the opponent before and after the game (good sportsmanship). Snarky comments are just not his nature.

IMHO it is not disingenous to say that bad teams can beat WLU and do pose a threat (ala WV Wesleyan last year).

IMHO disingenous would be saying a bottom feeder D2 coach is the next John Wooden.
        Being disengenuous is part of the successful coach lexicon also. It's sometimes called "coach speak" and is most often on public display in weekly weekly coaches shows and pregame newspaper stories but it happens regularly in practice etc. The reality is that for a team like WLU and now Nova, there are only a few games every year were the other team has a legitimate chance of winning. All the other teams have varying declining levels of ability to pull an upset. But coaches, including Crutch, will NEVER admit that to their team or fan base. I recall a game back in the day against Salem...Crutch talked about how Salem was an improved team and how WLU would have to give their maximum effort to beat them...WLU ended up beating them by 40 points which was the typical margin that they beat them by. Do you really think that Crutch truly believed Salem had a legitimate chance of beating WLU or was he voicing "fear" to try and keep his team focused?

Coach K at Duke is a master of "coach speak." If you listen to his pregame coaches show and post game interviews after EVERY game, you come away convinced that 1. Duke would need to bring its absolute A game to have a chance of winning and 2. If Duke was plain lucky to "escape" with a 40 point win. Do you really think Coach K truly thinks Duke is going to lose these games or is he being disengenuous in his pregame comments?

And coaches, to include Crutch, will almost never say anything negative about another coach. I would imagine that a number of coaches that Crutch has interacted with over the years have just rubbed him the wrong way but I can only recall one negative comment from Crutch on a fellow coach...I don't recall the specifics of the issue but Crutch's comment about the coach was that maybe he (Crutch) would have done it differently. May have been other incidents but that is the only one I can recall.

Comment

• Looks like (according to VC) the Satterfield kid from Charleston Catholic has committed to WLU for next year. That's a great pick-up. His game should fit very nicely. In the admittedly limited times I've seen him, his game reminded me a bit of Yoakum.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post
            Looks like (according to VC) the Satterfield kid from Charleston Catholic has committed to WLU for next year. That's a great pick-up. His game should fit very nicely. In the admittedly limited times I've seen him, his game reminded me a bit of Yoakum.
            Wow! Captain of Class A All State Team. Quality young man (Navy was interested as well as other D1s).
            #1 Senior prospect (and #2 overall behind McNeely of Poca) in state of WV. He will thrive in WLU system.

Comment

• FYI
              Here is metronews article on Aiden Satterfield commitment. Impressive young man!
              https://wvmetronews.com/2020/09/21/c...-west-liberty/

Comment

• Fyi
                nice local tv video interview with satterfield.
                https://youtu.be/sYHR0qFV564

Comment

• https://www.hudl.com/video/3/1036692...643e0b74f02f39

Comment

• Dante loves defense. Quick hands like malik and luke. 22 pts a game. Slasher and 3 point shooter. Great passer. Looks like a point guard of the future. First team all state as a junior. Seems to have warrior spirit. Great fit!

Comment

• Rosters posted today. Looks like everyone who was expected has, in fact, enrolled.

Elijah Watson will wear #4
                      Luke Powell will wear #20
                      Ben Sarson will wear #24
                      Zach Rasile will wear #25

Interesting little note from the women's side. Grace Fodor, who completed a fine 4-year career with the Lady Hilltoppers last year, has apparently stuck around campus to pick up a Master's degree. However, instead of following the typical path which would suggest being a GA women's basketball assistant coach . . . she appears to be using her two years as a Master's student to play a few seasons with the women's soccer team! I have no idea how all the compliance issues work for that (I'm assuming someone on campus has crossed those T's and dotted those I's). More power to you, Grace!

Comment

• Anyone know when official practice is going to begin for the Toppers? Also, any info on the 2020-21 schedule?

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                          Anyone know when official practice is going to begin for the Toppers? Also, any info on the 2020-21 schedule?
                          Schedule will likely be in pencil.

Comment

• Looks like earliest games will start will be Jan 1, 2021. I think practice can start 42 days before first game (whenever that is).
                            Really excited about the shooting potential of this team.
                            Returning are 4 players who shot over 44% from Three, with two of those 4 shooting over 50%. These players could also take the ball to the rim and shoot or dish.
                            Add in Zach Rasile (#2 all time in Ohio career scoring with 3,013 points) and Luke Powell (#18 all time in Ohio career scoring) and there are even more weapons. From watching highlights of Zach, it appears that he may have Curry-like range and accuracy, which could really stretch defenses for Patrick, Malik, Will, etc.
                            Luke Powell has the hops to elevate over defenders to shoot deep threes.

WLU might make a run as the #1 three point shooting % team in D2!

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post
                              Rosters posted today. Looks like everyone who was expected has, in fact, enrolled.

Elijah Watson will wear #4
                              Luke Powell will wear #20
                              Ben Sarson will wear #24
                              Zach Rasile will wear #25
                              I am really interested to see how quickly Elijah Watson adapts to the WLU style.
                              Watched his highlights. he appears to be the rim protector that WLU has been missing. But he is much more than that. He handles the ball like a shooting guard and can shoot the three as well as slash to the rim. Aggressive rebounder too. He played in the best league in Chicago last year. Great student too.

I could envision him getting some minutes this year.

Has anyone seen him play in open gym? Maybe WLU students can give us some insights.

Comment

I am really interested to see how quickly Elijah Watson adapts to the WLU style.
                                Watched his highlights. he appears to be the rim protector that WLU has been missing. But he is much more than that. He handles the ball like a shooting guard and can shoot the three as well as slash to the rim. Aggressive rebounder too. He played in the best league in Chicago last year. Great student too.

I could envision him getting some minutes this year.

Has anyone seen him play in open gym? Maybe WLU students can give us some insights.
                                I'm interested in Watson but from the prespective of how WLU uses him. He is a bit unique for a WLU player. Do they treat him as just another shooter who plays largly from the outside? Do they put him primarily in the low blocks and focus him on rebounds and put backs? If they do focus him down low, do they run any plays through him? this is kind of like having a commuter car your whole life then getting a truck...do you treat it like a less efficient commuter or do you figure out things to do with it that better meet what it is?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X