• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    Interesting article on Coach Howlett and WLU basketball:

http://dystpittsburgh.com/2017/12/22...tball-program/

Second part is suppose to be posted today.

Great read, I hope they touch on Brady who was on the bench and at the press conference for the last game incase anyone didn't know that

Comment

Merry Christmas everyone!

Looks like West Liberty is now doing brief post-game press conferences after their men's and women's home games and posting them on social media. Here's a link to the post-game from the UDC game with Brady, Coach Howlett and Marlon Moore (true freshman who went 7-7 from the floor in the second half).

Brady's lost his hair and looks like he's down a few pounds from the chemo but still has that great positive attitude. Got a standing ovation from the crowd when he was introduced during the first half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQxO...ature=youtu.be
      Last edited by timbertopper; 12-25-2017, 10:01 AM. Reason: fixing broken link

Comment

Originally posted by Layton View Post
        Great read, I hope they touch on Brady who was on the bench and at the press conference for the last game incase anyone didn't know that
        Great article Boat - Thanks for posting.
        Here is part two of the interview.
        http://dystpittsburgh.com/2017/12/23...-west-liberty/

Comment

Bless his heart. Hang in there Brady!

Comment

I didn't notice but Crutch lost his first game on Dec 9th 103-99 to Florida Tech, hasn't lost since, he's also been in 3 OT games so it looks like he'll have to bring in some more talent to widen the skill gap

They play #9 Barry next on the 30th so that should give us and him a good base for where Nova is at
            Last edited by Layton; 12-27-2017, 03:11 AM.

Comment

I'm telling you guys, Coach Howlett is going to be a big time coach one day. I just wonder how long West Liberty is able to keep him?

Comment

Originally posted by FlyHawk98 View Post
                I'm telling you guys, Coach Howlett is going to be a big time coach one day. I just wonder how long West Liberty is able to keep him?
                I have been impressed too. Seems wise beyond his years and a very hard worker. For example, I thought putting monterosa on Jolly in the Fairmont State game was a great move. It really disrupted FSU. Only in the last 5 minutes of the game, did Jolly start setting up way beyond NBA 3 to get beyond Monterosa's reach.
                I have also heard that Ben has recruited nearly all of the players for quite a few years. So his eye for players who fit the WLU style is a proven commodity.

Comment

I didn't notice but Crutch lost his first game on Dec 9th 103-99 to Florida Tech, hasn't lost since, he's also been in 3 OT games so it looks like he'll have to bring in some more talent to widen the skill gap

They play #9 Barry next on the 30th so that should give us and him a good base for where Nova is at
                  I have watched their games on the net. Crutch is often starting 2 or 3 freshman - Hardy, Stampley and Smith out of Pittsburgh. Hardy is a scoring machine and Smith is very smooth and does not make mistakes. To have such a start with new coach, new system, and playing freshman is incredible. In addition, David Dennis has really worked on his shortcomings - much better shooting 3s and FTs. Doing better at finishing drives. Player of the week in the conference is becoming routine for him. Crutch already has commitments from two very good players for next year. It may be asking too much this year to beat Barry - after all Barry beat Auburn in Exhibition. But next year, look out. With the talent in Florida, I think he could make a deep run in the NCAA tournament!

Comment

It won't take long for the poachers to start knocking on the door. At his age and likely success he'll get on the mid-major radar this off-season. It's up to him from there (stay or move up). Mid-Majors are always searching from the next big thing.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It won't take long for the poachers to start knocking on the door. At his age and likely success he'll get on the mid-major radar this off-season. It's up to him from there (stay or move up). Mid-Majors are always searching from the next big thing.
                      Good Point. It raises the question, as Boat recently stated, "Are the schools willing to go ALL IN?" They would not just be getting a smart coach, but they are getting a unique style of playing basketball. To date, no D1 school that I am aware of has committed to the WLU system (the closest possibly is WVU Press Virginia, but they don't have the shooters. That will improve with Jordan McCabe next year, who is a combo of Jason William, Pistol Pete Maravich and Curry. Just google him.). The D1 AD would have to be a risk taker and take a deep breath before hiring. Probably would have to be a school that is so far down, all they can do is go up.

Comment

Check out a young (mid-30s) coach named Nevada Smith. He was actually a big star at Bethany. Anyway, he started at Ithaca, then took a D3 job. He runs a system 'similar' to WL. Anyway, they were lighting up scoreboards. He then gets a random call from the Houston Rockets and next thing you know he's the head coach of the Rockets' D-League team. He's now the head coach at Sioux Falls (G-League ... the new 'D League').

He turned down the job at Manhattan College after two years with the Rockets. It's an interesting story and career path. His system prohibits the mid-range jumper. Treys and layups/dunks only and it's extremely fast tempo. It's fun to watch.

Comment

Check out a young (mid-30s) coach named Nevada Smith. He was actually a big star at Bethany. Anyway, he started at Ithaca, then took a D3 job. He runs a system 'similar' to WL. Anyway, they were lighting up scoreboards. He then gets a random call from the Houston Rockets and next thing you know he's the head coach of the Rockets' D-League team. He's now the head coach at Sioux Falls (G-League ... the new 'D League').

He turned down the job at Manhattan College after two years with the Rockets. It's an interesting story and career path. His system prohibits the mid-range jumper. Treys and layups/dunks only and it's extremely fast tempo. It's fun to watch.
                          Interesting and I see some similiarities - watched a clip where they hit 21 3s. They rotate the ball quickly and appeared to be unselfish (for the NBA). Guys also caught the ball relatively on balance. However, so many guys to the kick out with the leg and lean back on their 3s. Do they press the whole game? The WLU defense generates more looks for their offense due to turnovers and it imposes their will on the other team.
                          WLU has a slashing game in addition to their 3s that can generate fouls which can help in a tight game, where you can get the opponent's star player in foul trouble.

Nevada's team also reminded me somewhat of Paul Westhead's Mount Saint Mary's team that emphasized 3 pt shooting and not much defense.

Comment

I'd be interested to see Nevada run a four-year program. The issue where he is now is the team can be one way today and tomorrow the organization cuts three and signs three.

It's run and gun for sure.

Comment

I'd be interested to see Nevada run a four-year program. The issue where he is now is the team can be one way today and tomorrow the organization cuts three and signs three.

It's run and gun for sure.
                              I surely would like someone to get a shot at a D1 Program. I think the style would work at D1.
                              In my mind, the big unknown is whether you can recruit D1 players who will want to expend the energy to press the whole game. Huggins gets guys who meet the defensive part of the equation but not the shooting skills across all 5 positions. I think a D1 team would be undersized because finding Pittsnogle-type players who can shoot the 3 at 6-10 are scarce as hen's teeth.

When I first saw WLU play around 2010, I thought, "Do these guys run cross country in the fall before basketball season?" The conditioning must be brutal.

In D1 many players still have visions of NBA sugar plums dancing in their heads and would rather preen for the NBA scouts with blocks, dunks, etc. than win with this style.

At D2, players have no such fantasies. At best, they would hope for a European career (which is a very good living).
                              Even at D2, as mentioned in the interview with Ben Howlett, players will say I want to play up-tempo. Then they play in open gym with the WLU players, realize how demanding it is and call it quits after about 10 points.

That said, I hope Nevada or someone gets a shot.

Comment

I believe this as it fits Mike Dantoni's style. The Dantoni's are from West Virginia and down to Earth. The older brother Dan Dantoni is the Head Coach at Marshall. They run a similar style of offense, but they do not press like West Lib does. They are fun to watch though as they have a 6'10'' guy who can bring the ball down the floor, ball behind the back, shoot the 3, etc.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X