Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

FYI - Sincere Carry made all Rookie team in A10 for Duquesne
    Came back and played 10 days after yet another knee surgery to try to get a tournament win as his team tanked after he got hurt.

Comment

West Lib should strongly consider going D1. Our team could already compete with the lower level D1 teams. Could you imagine making the big boy tournament and the excitement it would bring to the school?

As for football, honestly, who cares at this point? Either drop the sport or go play in one of the non scholarship FCS conferences. It's time to focus on Men's Basketball and let that program move this school forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
        I hope those big IFs regarding Greely come true.

I saw Alessandro play at Beavercreek once. He was on a talent-challenged team. He played every position during the course of the game including PG (and was the best player at every position).
        Great shooter. Glides in the open court, ala Yoakum. But had somewhat more muscle than Will in HS.

Have watched Hazelbaker 3 times this year. He is also unselfish, but has really developed his 3 pt shot. Have seen him hit 3 in a row. Good stroke. Before his sr season he had a 4.3 GPA (due to college courses). One internet scout says he studies film and can instantly identify the other team's plays and go to the spot of his opponent and wait on his opponent to get there! Talk about a high basketball IQ. He is only 17 so he is likely still growing. He is not a skinny guy, but not fat either. Reminds me somewhat of a slender pass-catching tight end build. Very high motor and will dive on floor for loose ball. One area for improvement is playing a little lower in his stance so that he can explode off the floor quickly. But that issue is not uncommon, for a tall guy to play too "tall" on defense. If he winds up redshirting he might be 6'9" by his senior year.

If Yoakum approaches Bolon's dedication to the game and puts on 15 lbs of muscle, he will be a matchup nightmare and could play after college IMHO. With Hill, Boswell, Bolon, Moore and Yoakum, we could see the hilltop's version of "Showtime".
        I read a scouting report that said that Hazelbaker was still growing into his SIZE 18 shoes! I know shoe size to height is pretty inexact (many "short" people with big feet and many "tall" people with small feet), but roughly that works out to a 7 footer! Now I don't know if he actually has wears a size 18 shoe or if he'll grow even one more inch...but if he does wear an 18, significant growth is at least in the cards for him.

Big E and Greely (Big G??) are two completely different players, but looking at E's first year stat line and G's shows some similarity. E played 26 games vs 11 for G but the average minutes are close (5-6 range) as are PPG (2 to 3). Looking at E that first year he played gave no hint of what he ultimately became. I remember thinking that he would be a bench player that would be inserted when we needed a little muscle. Certainly worth having, but never a front line performer who could take over a game.

So much of being a WLU player boils down to heart and commitment. If G has it, he will find a way to become a productive member of the WLU team in the years ahead...If he has much heart and commitment as E, we may be talking about him in the same vane two years from now.
        Last edited by boatcapt; 03-19-2019, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper912 View Post
          West Lib should strongly consider going D1. Our team could already compete with the lower level D1 teams. Could you imagine making the big boy tournament and the excitement it would bring to the school?

As for football, honestly, who cares at this point? Either drop the sport or go play in one of the non scholarship FCS conferences. It's time to focus on Men's Basketball and let that program move this school forward.

Comment

It's also not as simple as just saying men's basketball is moving up. The whole athletic department moves up. And football at WL is certainly not ready to move up. The non-revenue sports go, too. The cost of either driving your women's tennis team around on 12-hour bus trips or flying the volleyball team, etc., is enormous.

Comment

Please government...protect us from ourselves!!! Your illustration about Big Tobacco is instructive. Govt and law suits have been trying to kill it off since the 60's but in spite of the law suits, restrictions, constant negative press and graphic warning labels, it still keeps going. Different issue but...One of the things I find amusing is the pervasive opinion that smoking tobacco is bad for you but smoking marijuana is good for you!

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                It's also not as simple as just saying men's basketball is moving up. The whole athletic department moves up. And football at WL is certainly not ready to move up. The non-revenue sports go, too. The cost of either driving your women's tennis team around on 12-hour bus trips or flying the volleyball team, etc., is enormous.
                I think it could be done on the relative cheap provided you focused your resources on one sport (for argument here, let's say basketball...both men's and women's) and go "non-scholarship" in the others (although, I think all athletic schollys are funded by private donations so it would be possible to offer some). Wouldn't be easy and I think WLU would suffer on the basketball court for a few years (while I really like our players, no way we could compete in a D1 league for an entire season!), but it could be done.

Comment

West Liberty is only about 2600 students. I think we should be happy where we are and be thankful for the successful basketball program. Other than football, the other teams are just average. The football program sucks, it has for years and I don't understand why that isn't corrected.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsnut View Post
                    West Liberty is only about 2600 students. I think we should be happy where we are and be thankful for the successful basketball program. Other than football, the other teams are just average. The football program sucks, it has for years and I don't understand why that isn't corrected.
                    I think we know WHY the football program sucks! As you correctly point out, the why it hasn't been corrected is the real head scratcher...

I agree we should be happy with DII. But for the sake of argument, here is what I think would need to happen before we even considered moving up to D1:

1. Enrolment increase to 3500+.
                    2. Changes in the football program to get it on track to be a consistent winner.
                    3. Rebuild/replace the ARSC to accommodate a minimum of 6,000 capacity.
                    4. Increase seating capacity at West Stadium to a minimum of 6,000 permanent seats OR move all home games to Wheeling Island.
                    5. Minimum average attendance at all home basketball games of 3,000.
                    6. Minimum average attendance at all home football games of 3,000.

Until those things happen I would be opposed to any move to D1 by WLU.

Comment

For conversation sake ... what league?

Comment

I will have to agree with you Sportsnut, it wasn't but a few months ago that people were complaining about season openers and now we are talking moving to small D1 when things are going well. If you want to test the waters, schedule a small D1, Cleveland St. Wright St, Northern KY, and see how it goes

Comment

Which ever one would offer them an invitation when they have made the necessary changes. If WLU started to make the changes I outline TODAY it would be a minimum of five years before they were ready. League landscape can change overnight so any discussion of what league would be a moot point at this juncture.

Comment

Big 10 lol

Comment

Originally posted by CelticCoach View Post
                              I will have to agree with you Sportsnut, it wasn't but a few months ago that people were complaining about season openers and now we are talking moving to small D1 when things are going well. If you want to test the waters, schedule a small D1, Cleveland St. Wright St, Northern KY, and see how it goes
                              I wouldn't be opposed to scheduling a small D1 but I don't think we'd get many takers.

Comment

Big 10 lol
                                Hahahahaha!!! Looking forward to the first Ohio State at West Liberty football game!!! I wonder if Ohio State fans travel well? Ehhh...I'll probably just take a chance and buy the ticket game day!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X