Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
    Not 100% sure, but I think it is because he is not technically "redshirting" in the traditional sense. WJU is making him sit out a year away from basketball due to transfer restriction.
    Alessandro is a traditional redshirt situation.
    We talk about redshirt in the same way it applies in D1. DII rules are different. Net/net is roughly the same but they are technically different and every now and then the rules can be manipulated to get an "extra" year (i.e. Amedro "sat out" the spring semester between his Jr and Sr year and used that semester of eligibility during the first semester of his Sr year.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
      We talk about redshirt in the same way it applies in D1. DII rules are different. Net/net is roughly the same but they are technically different and every now and then the rules can be manipulated to get an "extra" year (i.e. Amedro "sat out" the spring semester between his Jr and Sr year and used that semester of eligibility during the first semester of his Sr year.
      Good points. As I understand it, Your eligbility clock in D1 is a running clock starting when you enter college and ends 5 years later (excluding medical RS). . D2 is based on semesters that you actually attended college; it ends once you have attended 8 fall/spring semesters AND you have used up your 4 years of playing eligibility (5 yrs with redshirt) . So if you are attending classes but not sitting on the bench, it is like a redshirt year as it counts against your 5 years.

Comment

Good points. As I understand it, Your eligbility clock in D1 is a running clock starting when you enter college and ends 5 years later (excluding medical RS). . D2 is based on semesters that you actually attended college; it ends once you have attended 8 fall/spring semesters AND you have used up your 4 years of playing eligibility (5 yrs with redshirt) . So if you are attending classes but not sitting on the bench, it is like a redshirt year as it counts against your 5 years.

I've actually being trying to think about this for IUP's Dom Keyes. He sat out this year on suspension.

Freshmen year: UPJ
        Sophomore year: Harford CC
        'third year' ... Redshirt at IUP
        'fourth year' ... suspended (from basketball season) at IUP
        2019-20:

Does he have 1 year left or two?

Comment

DII semesters are based on semesters you "competed" in. If you went to college but didn't compete (i.e. you took no part in organized team activities...games, practice, etc), that semester didn't count against your 10 total. Within that 10 semesters of eligibility, you could have 4 actual on-field seasons.

The NCAA is all over in their interpretation of what "compete" means. Amedro was at App State for two full years which should have burned four semesters. Somehow the NCAA interpreted that for at least one or two, he didn't compete so they didn't count toward his 10 semesters. Net effect was that he was able to sit (non-compete) the spring of his junior year and use his 10th semester (and 4th on-field season) during the fall of his senior year.

WLU also had a WR who came in after two years at a JUCO and was only able to get one on field season when it seemed like he should have had two. I also recall a TE at one of the PSAC schools who got ruled ineligible by the NCAA and then after reconsideration (appeal?) they said he WAS eligible.

Trying to figure out NCAA eligibility rules and decisions is much like trying to figure out the secret NCAA playoff selection formula. It leads to nothing but gray hair, an ulcer and sclerosis of the liver!!!

Comment

No surprise here...
            Keegan Saban is transferring...If you're a sophomore at WL, and you're not in their "two deep", better to move on. Once French became playable this year, he was odd man out.

Not sure if we'll see any other attrition...

They lose 4 seniors and Saban and Ariel Watson...

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              I've actually being trying to think about this for IUP's Dom Keyes. He sat out this year on suspension.

2019-20:

See my previous post. I suggest you just put the note pad you are trying to figure it out on down, walk away and never think of it again!! Your liver will thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
                No surprise here...
                Keegan Saban is transferring...If you're a sophomore at WL, and you're not in their "two deep", better to move on. Once French became playable this year, he was odd man out.

Not sure if we'll see any other attrition...

They lose 4 seniors and Saban and Ariel Watson...
                Not surprised by Saban leaving. Something must have happened to put him under Ben's dog house. He went from starting the two games in the MEC tourney last season ahead of long time starter Griffin to an end of the bench 0 minute guy in most games after the mid point in the season this year.

My take is that he just didn't score enough. In 9 straight games early in the season he got 10+ minutes and never scored more than 4 points during that stretch. Hard to be a guard (unless you are the point guard) on WLU and not be able to score. Don't get many minutes that way...and it looks like that is what happened. When French came back his fate was sealed.
                Last edited by boatcapt; 03-21-2019, 01:39 PM.

Comment

• Last edited by Layton; 03-21-2019, 02:36 PM.

Comment

I'm thinking, counting 2 redshirts and 3 recruits there are 11 on the roster at this point.
                    Last edited by Dirtybird; 03-21-2019, 02:51 PM.

Comment

I was counting Boswell when I came up with 12. Now that Saben is leaving, that would puts us at 11. I no Crutch would go through the season with 12 give or take but in Ben's two years at the helm we've had 14 or 15 rostered players. There is recruiting work to do but I don't think it is absolutely critical that we have 15. I'd be ok at 13 provided they were all quality players.

Comment

I was counting Boswell when I came up with 12. Now that Saben is leaving, that would puts us at 11. I no Crutch would go through the season with 12 give or take but in Ben's two years at the helm we've had 14 or 15 rostered players. There is recruiting work to do but I don't think it is absolutely critical that we have 15. I'd be ok at 13 provided they were all quality players.
                        Is he going with the 'half' scholarship players in order to get more 'quality' players rather than doing the full ride path and only having 9-10 on full ride (D2 max)?

Comment

2019-20:

I like boats simpler, clearer explanation better than mine. You have 10 semesters to play 4 years. Assuming he was enrolled during all of those 4 years, my guess is that he has one year left.

Comment

Not surprised by Saban leaving. Something must have happened to put him under Ben's dog house. He went from starting the two games in the MEC tourney last season ahead of long time starter Griffin to an end of the bench 0 minute guy in most games after the mid point in the season this year.

My take is that he just didn't score enough. In 9 straight games early in the season he got 10+ minutes and never scored more than 4 points during that stretch. Hard to be a guard (unless you are the point guard) on WLU and not be able to score. Don't get many minutes that way...and it looks like that is what happened. When French came back his fate was sealed.

Comment

Maybe dog house was too strong. Nut it was clear that he didn't improve his weaknesses which ment he fell out of favor and on to the very end of the bench. Other more capable players came in so transferring was his only option.

Comment

Is he going with the 'half' scholarship players in order to get more 'quality' players rather than doing the full ride path and only having 9-10 on full ride (D2 max)?
                                My guess would be a mix. Something like 8 on full rides and 4 on halfs or 8-2 and 4 on 1/4. Something like that.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X