Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
    So True. Another issue with AAU seems to be there is little regard for committing turnovers. Extrapolating based on his minutes played, if Ariel had played 40 minutes he would have committed over 8 turnovers and committed 5.5 fouls!. I saw him throw a long pass downcourt into double coverage with a small window to Nate Allen that was Tom Brady-esque. Should never have been thrown. Nate only caught it because if the opposing guard had gone for the intercept, the collision with a man the size of Nate would have put him in the ER!

There is a guy in Columbus who got MVP of the 270 Hoops league this fall. Unstoppable in a playground AAU game, averaging over 30 pts. I went to see him play a high school team, thinking that I would see a complete player dominate in a structured game. He was totally ineffective in a team offense and his defense was non-existent. Bad passes, turnovers. A much less talented team had their way with them.

AAU is killing USA basketball (Kobe Bryant happens to agree. He thinks Euro players are superior now)
    Players LOVE them some scoring! Funny thing is that you CAN have it both ways. Just look at WLU...High scoring were every player is free to take an open shot (but is expected to pass the ball if the shot is not open) but is expected to play D. Counter pose how WLU plays against Glenville, a team that seems to really embrace the AAU "style" (jack up a lot of shots and play almost no defense). They can sure score at times but when faced with a team that can "score more" because they play smartly, not even close...WLU is 52 points better than Glenville.

Comment

So here we sit in the Regional Final again looking for our sixth Regional Title and trip to the Elite 8 in the last 10 years. Still plenty of basketball to be played Tuesday night vs a team that is the polar opposite of WLU in Mercyhurst. Hope the team is not thinking beyond Hurst because that could cost them big time! But as a fan, I can think beyond!!

So what do make of this years WLU team? The first thought that comes to mind is young...second thought is "house money." We've talked about it several times over the year, but this years Topper squad is young as grass and as such, they were really built to make runs starting next season. The conventional wisdom heading into this season, at least for me, was that we would be a 7-8 loss team that would probably be a 7 or 8 seed. I wouldn't have been happy with that but given the youth on the team, I wouldn't have been disappointed either. As the season went by and the team started racking up impressive wins, I stated to recalibrate my expectations but still did not see them playing for a Regional Title. I started looking at them as a 4/5 or MAYBE a #3 seed who won a first round game but bowed out the next night.

So what do I mean by "house money?" As I said, this team is really built to compete starting next year and then the year after that. This year was supposed to be a season when our young's learned how to play the college game and the team learned how to play together. Any success they had this year was unexpected and I think unplanned (well...unplanned by us fans). In that respect they are playing with house money. Problem with house money is eventually the house stops giving it to you! Will that be Tuesday night? Maybe. Will it be after they win the National Championship? Don't know!!

So where does this years team fall in the pantheon of Topper teams? I'd put them on par with the 09/10 Toppers that finished as the Regional runner up. This was the year that future stars Faulk, Morrow and Hausfield got experience that resulted in a string of three Regional Titles.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
        So here we sit in the Regional Final again looking for our sixth Regional Title and trip to the Elite 8 in the last 10 years. Still plenty of basketball to be played Tuesday night vs a team that is the polar opposite of WLU in Mercyhurst. Hope the team is not thinking beyond Hurst because that could cost them big time! But as a fan, I can think beyond!!

So what do make of this years WLU team? The first thought that comes to mind is young...second thought is "house money." We've talked about it several times over the year, but this years Topper squad is young as grass and as such, they were really built to make runs starting next season. The conventional wisdom heading into this season, at least for me, was that we would be a 7-8 loss team that would probably be a 7 or 8 seed. I wouldn't have been happy with that but given the youth on the team, I wouldn't have been disappointed either. As the season went by and the team started racking up impressive wins, I stated to recalibrate my expectations but still did not see them playing for a Regional Title. I started looking at them as a 4/5 or MAYBE a #3 seed who won a first round game but bowed out the next night.

So what do I mean by "house money?" As I said, this team is really built to compete starting next year and then the year after that. This year was supposed to be a season when our young's learned how to play the college game and the team learned how to play together. Any success they had this year was unexpected and I think unplanned (well...unplanned by us fans). In that respect they are playing with house money. Problem with house money is eventually the house stops giving it to you! Will that be Tuesday night? Maybe. Will it be after they win the National Championship? Don't know!!

So where does this years team fall in the pantheon of Topper teams? I'd put them on par with the 09/10 Toppers that finished as the Regional runner up. This was the year that future stars Faulk, Morrow and Hausfield got experience that resulted in a string of three Regional Titles.

Comment

Good post! Do we sign another recruit or two?

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsnut View Post
            We've got three already coming in who are supposed to be top notch. With them we have 12 players under "contract" for next year and Ben has gone with 14 or 15 in his two years so it wouldn't surprise me if a couple more come in. Maybe a long term D1 transfer and/or a last minute decomit from another team.

Comment

OK, let me see if I have this correct.

15 were on team (counting Boswell)
              -1 (Watson) left team ?
              -5 seniors (Allen, Arnold, Primmer, French, and Meininger)
              +3 recruits committed (Hazelbaker 6-7, Butler 6-4 and Conley 6-0)
              -------
              12 Remaining. Usually always has the full 13 plus one or two redshirted. That would possibly leave 1-3 more that could be signed. In addition
              someone like Saban who get very little playing time might transfer if history repeats itself. Maybe 4 more recruits is possible.
              Does this sound right?

Comment

I think winning tomorrow would be huge for future success. Getting the younger guys experience playing in the Elite 8 would be HUGE.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsnut View Post

Comment

We've got three already coming in who are supposed to be top notch. With them we have 12 players under "contract" for next year and Ben has gone with 14 or 15 in his two years so it wouldn't surprise me if a couple more come in. Maybe a long term D1 transfer and/or a last minute decomit from another team.
                    Have watched hazelbaker and Conley several times in person. Both have high motors and high basketball iqs and complete games. Play unselfishly even though they are best player on team. Imho both may redshirt to get stronger for college game. But they could very well surprise in open gym.

Comment

After Watson left there are 12 that dress and 2 red shirts, one that sits on the bench and one that is not allowed. 14 total, minus 5 seniors, plus 3 signed recruits equals 12 so far for next year. Is that correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtybird View Post
                        After Watson left there are 12 that dress and 2 red shirts, one that sits on the bench and one that is not allowed. 14 total, minus 5 seniors, plus 3 signed recruits equals 12 so far for next year. Is that correct?

Comment

What's the word on Alessandro? How is he doing in practices? Is he going to be a part time player next year or can he step in for Big E? Looks like he has gotten a little bigger this year so hopefully he can be a rebound force.

Comment

I'm interested in seeing how Greely develops over the off season. If he comes into camp at 215 or 220 and gets quicker for it, he could be a significant contributor. Hes not going to be a Meininger, but if he can keep up with WLUs speed on offense and defense, he could be very helpful.

Other end of the weight spectrum is Alesandro. As I recall he was reed thin coming in. If he is truly 220 as listed on his profile, thats a step in the right direction. He had a really good HS resume so a bigger stronger version of him would go a long way to aleviating our size disparity.

Hozelbeck is coming in as a PF. When was the last time we even recruited someone even listed as a PF?

Not going to happen but we could field a team with 3 players at 6"7"! WLUs version of "going big!" Haha haha!!
                            Last edited by boatcapt; 03-18-2019, 06:21 PM.

Comment

I'm interested in seeing how Greely develops over the off season. If he comes into camp at 215 or 220 and gets quicker for it, he could be a significant contributor. Hes not going to be a Meininger, but if he can keep up with WLUs speed on offense and defense, he could be very helpful.

Other end of the weight spectrum is Alesandro. As I recall he was reed thin coming in. If he is truly 220 as listed on his profile, thats a step in the right direction. He had a really good HS resume so a bigger stronger version of him would go a long way to aleviating our size disparity.

Hozelbeck is coming in as a PF. When was the last time we even recruited someone even listed as a PF?

Not going to happen but we could field a team with 3 players at 6"7"! WLUs version of "going big!" Haha haha!!
                              I hope those big IFs regarding Greely come true.

I saw Alessandro play at Beavercreek once. He was on a talent-challenged team. He played every position during the course of the game including PG (and was the best player at every position).
                              Great shooter. Glides in the open court, ala Yoakum. But had somewhat more muscle than Will in HS.

Have watched Hazelbaker 3 times this year. He is also unselfish, but has really developed his 3 pt shot. Have seen him hit 3 in a row. Good stroke. Before his sr season he had a 4.3 GPA (due to college courses). One internet scout says he studies film and can instantly identify the other team's plays and go to the spot of his opponent and wait on his opponent to get there! Talk about a high basketball IQ. He is only 17 so he is likely still growing. He is not a skinny guy, but not fat either. Reminds me somewhat of a slender pass-catching tight end build. Very high motor and will dive on floor for loose ball. One area for improvement is playing a little lower in his stance so that he can explode off the floor quickly. But that issue is not uncommon, for a tall guy to play too "tall" on defense. If he winds up redshirting he might be 6'9" by his senior year.

If Yoakum approaches Bolon's dedication to the game and puts on 15 lbs of muscle, he will be a matchup nightmare and could play after college IMHO. With Hill, Boswell, Bolon, Moore and Yoakum, we could see the hilltop's version of "Showtime".

Comment

FYI - some statistics on the high level of basketball that is played by West Liberty. Locals don't realize the level of basketball in their backyard.

West Liberty averages 1.28 points per possession. The best in D1 last year was Villanova at 1.24 points per possession.

Comparing the young 2018-2019 hilltoppers to the best of the 350 schools in D1 in 2017-2018:

WL also be #1 in points per possession, scoring, 3 pt % and effective FG %.
                                WL would be #2 in FG % and Assists per Game.
                                WL would be #4 in Free Throw %
                                WL would be #7 in Scoring Margin.

Please don't misunderstand. I am NOT saying or implying that West Lib could play with D1 teams at this level.
                                I am just illustrating some of the efficiency measures of their system compared to other systems. Even though the D1 teams have much better players, it does not mean they understand and execute the game in a superior fashion.

From a basketball purist perspective, WL is very high level basketball indeed. Its just that the players are not as quick, as strong, or as tall as D1 players.
                                If local fans only knew and appreciated the level of play, the ASRC would require a season ticket for a seat!

Although WL traveled well to IUP, I was very impressed by the support of the local community for IUP basketball.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X