Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    WLU has never been concerned with height...he NCAA Tourney.
    1. Brady is one of my favorite players. He will definitely start IMHO. I have lost count of the number of fast breaks he has stopped by using his incredible speed to catch up to the dribbler and tap the ball away from behind. Great hops on his jump shot from 15 ft in too. Definitely a case of a D1 player in a small man's body. More than anything, I am impressed by his sheer will to win. He plays defense very aggressively, which sometimes gets him in some foul difficulty, when a bigger player takes him inside. (I did not agree with all of the foul calls against him, BTW).

That is the dilemma. who spells Brady? Watson had to fill some need to sign a one and done player. I don't think another good 3 pt shooter is a need at wlu, just like Alaska does not need more snow.

As you said, height is not the overriding requirement. A player has to have the other basic skills and fit the wlu system. Then if he is also tall, then that is a plus in WLU system.
    They offered a 6 ft 8 guy from Cleveland St. Ignatius who from videos looked like a great fit, but he chose Hillsdale.
    I think if Watson starts (which I don't think will happen), it will mean he is really, really good, which improves our chances of a great season. On the other hand if our 6.5 bigs (Allen, Meine, Moore) cannot defend teams with 2 athletic bigs like Lincoln Memorial, or Sleva from Shippensburg (that guy is unstoppable inside), we may not make it out of the region without red hot 3 pt shooting and big turnover margins.

Comment

RFr Luke Dyer will be Arnolds principle back-up at PG. I think he is definently up to that task. He has a year in the program so he understands the offense and how to run it. It's not like he is a true freshman like say Dennis was. In fact, the Toppers went into Dennis first year with a PG tandem of second year player Brady Arnold penciled in as the starter and true freshman Dave Dennis as his back-up. While that turned out pretty good, I propose that it was MUCH more shakey heading into the season than this coming year were we have a PG tandem of a senior and second year player.

WLU has many players who would be capable of triggering the offense as a relief PG. I think one we are all overlooking is Dan Monteroso. Not many players in the league that can stay with Dan off the dribble. Imagine him sweeping down the lane and pulling the D to him...his only question will be do I finish this off myself or do I hit the open snipper at the 3 point line?

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Monteroso triggering the offense for extended periods!!

Comment

RFr Luke Dyer will be Arnolds principle back-up at PG. I think he is definently up to that task. He has a year in the program so he understands the offense and how to run it. It's not like he is a true freshman like say Dennis was. In fact, the Toppers went into Dennis first year with a PG tandem of second year player Brady Arnold penciled in as the starter and true freshman Dave Dennis as his back-up. While that turned out pretty good, I propose that it was MUCH more shakey heading into the season than this coming year were we have a PG tandem of a senior and second year player.

WLU has many players who would be capable of triggering the offense as a relief PG. I think one we are all overlooking is Dan Monteroso. Not many players in the league that can stay with Dan off the dribble. Imagine him sweeping down the lane and pulling the D to him...his only question will be do I finish this off myself or do I hit the open snipper at the 3 point line?

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Monteroso triggering the offense for extended periods!!
        1. Monterosa at PG is an intriguing idea.
        2. I looked at minutes played when Dennis was a frosh. I think Dennis was always the starting PG and that view is substantiated by the minutes played. For his frosh season he averaged over 31 minutes a game, second only to bonifant. Brady averaged less than 21 (he was not listed in top 5 and # 5 lamberti had 21 minutes). The first few games Dennis and Arnold were on the court at the same time, both getting over 30 minutes.However, things changed around game 6 where Dennis was getting over 30 minutes consistently and Brady get minutes in the high teens. See stats on Fairmont state game and Clarion game in game 9. Dennis was 2 time player of the year in Division 4 Ohio so it should not have been a surprise. I mean no disrespect to Brady, as he a great player. He can easily play SG and did so on occasion during David's freshman year.
        3. Hope you are right about Luke. He has to get minutes and prove he is ready, or else we have an issue next year at PG.

Comment

I wouldn't want to make Monti the starting or even primary back-up (move from SG to PG when Arnold needs a rest) PG. But as a third PG option, I like that idea.

Need to take the wraps off of Dyer. He came in being heralded as a top notch PG. Being the backup to an experienced SR is a perfect situation. I'd like to see him get 10 minutes as PG starting the season and build to the 15 range. I know it will be tough but I'd like to see Bolton get a few minutes at PG just to see if he is up to the task for future years or if a PG recruit is a priority during next offseason.

Comment

I wouldn't want to make Monti the starting or even primary back-up (move from SG to PG when Arnold needs a rest) PG. But as a third PG option, I like that idea.

Need to take the wraps off of Dyer. He came in being heralded as a top notch PG. Being the backup to an experienced SR is a perfect situation. I'd like to see him get 10 minutes as PG starting the season and build to the 15 range. I know it will be tough but I'd like to see Bolton get a few minutes at PG just to see if he is up to the task for future years or if a PG recruit is a priority during next offseason.
            Good points. I agree. I admit that I may be selling Dyer short due to unfamiliarity. Who knows, maybe he is more of a pure PG than Brady. Brady has demonstrated skills at both SG and PG, so there may be other options. I think Brady will get major minutes, regardless.
            Many interesting unkownns that will need to be assessed in November. Although it should be noted that player in january can be much improved over November, so things could be dynamic as folks get game experience.

Comment

Let's give this thread an overdue bump.

Anyone in the know, hear anything about open gyms?

I'm interested to hear how the freshmen and transfers are acclimating? (I'm looking at you Keegan and Nate Allen--my 2 picks for best newcomers)

Comment

Awful quiet the last several weeks. Tidbit of information would be appreciated.

Comment

After that WL football debacle last week I think Boat went AWOL.

Comment

Negative! It's football season...I've been on the football board.

Comment

Negative! It's football season...I've been on the football board.
                      Well, this weekend the D2 season officially starts for practice...Interested to see and hear about the hilltoppers.

Way too early predictions for this bunch:

Monteroso, D2 All American

Nate Allen-2nd leading scorer for WL

Keegan Saban- Best Freshman

Dalton Bolon-Best Newcomer

Evan French-Comeback Player

I think they'll press more than in the past two years...they have to, they are really small, but more athletic...I think they'll be an exciting team to watch...and I also think at several points this season, we'll think to ourselves--"just imagine if we had Dennis and Clay"...

Comment

5 guards only get us so far

Comment

Will definitely miss dennis and clay

Comment

Cemeteries are full of irreplaceable dead people.

Comment

Originally posted by Chevydude89 View Post
                              5 guards only get us so far
                              us...lol.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                                Cemeteries are full of irreplaceable dead people.
                                Lol. Good way to keep it in perspective. I watched Marlon Moore play on YouTube and came away impressed. He looked good against strong teams. One was Villa Angelo st josephs who is a perennial power. He might be a freshman surprise as he moves very well. Could help on defense inside along with Nate Allen.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X